Random Food Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 8, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

There are ways to make the homebrew sous vide machine without cutting acrylic...its just not as pretty.

I don't think acrylic is that hard to cut though...I used to cut it all of the time with a jewelers saw (although this won't work for long straight edges since the saw is too small and the line won't be ruler-straight).

2. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Not not buy a self-contained oven? I have the SousVide Supreme, and they're available pretty cheap.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Anybody else?

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i need long straight edges. and sous vide supremes are 300 dollars that i cannot afford

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

One, you don't want to throw away those juices, they are flavorful. Two, the fat does not impede browning, and it is also flavorful. It is better to evaporate the juices so the flavor remains rather than throw them away, which is why you want the higher temp. Get as much rack spacing as you can.

6. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I'm doing some sales rep work for Polyscience. Buy through me and save! :D

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well, admittedly, in the quantities that I'm cooking, it does become a bit much. Literally, with the 15 thighs on the one sheet, they were basically sitting in a puddle of liquid. Even after draining it and putting it back in I had to drain it again after it finished cooking. I'm sure with the higher temp the liquid would evaporate faster, but I'm almost positive it would still impede the browning. Going to try it out tonight at 425 with a full sheet to see how it goes. Doing the carnitas again as well.

Ok, so on rack spacing: I've got 6 rack slots in the oven so top sheet at 2nd rack (don't want to put it right under the broiler element, right?) and bottom 2 below that (same thing here, shouldn't put it right on top of the heating element, right?)

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

If they are sitting in that much water, you should probably buy a cooling rack the same size as your cookie sheet and place it on the sheet, and the chicken on the rack:

[​IMG]

You can find them at any kitchen shop probably under $10.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Think about it Matt - 15 thighs are going to give off a lot of fat and juice. I'm sure if I spread them out across 2 sheets it wouldn't be that bad. The rack is an interesting idea but I'm going to experiment with the cookie sheet(s) to see how that goes. I also want to experiment with them in the slow cooker but I haven't found a good, simple recipe yet.

10. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Do the rack/sheet combo, dude, you'll get a better crust around the outside even without turning them. Things won't brown very well using two sheets on two different levels.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Browning isn't of utmost importance to me. Honestly. I was just attempting to incorporate it into the cooking method at hand by changing around the temp/arrangement/etc. Basically, I just need them to be cooked and edible.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

it kind of sounds like you got it then. if you want to make it taste good, you'll have to do it a little different. it might take another step or two. it might require a rack. it might require doing it in two shifts so you don't crowd the tray. but if all you want is edible, you're fine. shred them and put them on a salad.

13. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Obviously I can look this up on the internet but whatever I find may not be SF-approved, so I thought I'd try here first.

For the games this Sunday, I have a few folks coming over, so I thought I'd try out my new stand mixer (I've never had one, this is kind of exciting) by whipping up a quick batch of pizza dough and a bit of zesty sauce and providing condiments so people could make their own thin-crusts.

Any recommendations, recipes, tips? Obviously I'll need to go get a big stone, hopefully to accommodate 2 or so pizzas at a time (I know they don't take long) - what other ingredients/tools/advice would you recommend? (corn meal, a paddle?)

14. Douglas

I should mention also that I've never, ever worked with yeast before or really done any kind of pastry/bread cooking. Not that it should be any different the rest of the time, but you'll really have to talk to me as though you are talking to a small child.

15. Douglas

Just put the chicken thighs right on the oven racks, no cookie sheets.

I just saved you from having to do the dishes.