• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any of you food scientists know a general ratio for how many ounces of cooked meat/chicken/etc a pound or raw meat/chicken/etc will yield? Obviously, it'll differ with the cut, etc. but I just need something generic e.g. 1lb chicken raw = 12oz chicken cooked.

Douglas is right, generally speaking.

(Maybe why you're asking?) but this question gets asked a lot in fitness circles where people are trying to be very accurate about calories.
After years of fussing the numbers for those reasons, I've found that a roughly 25% loss from raw to cooked is pretty accurate with beef, pork and chicken.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a question for the foodies out there. Let me preface this by saying I like good food, appreciate the art that it is, but I in no way consider myself a "foodie", or have much interest in cooking myself. I just want to know whether it is me that is being obtuse, or this girl being a *****, or both.

So, yesterday I was at my local cafe and to my delight this one particular "barista" was working who (just to give you some backup) claims that I am the embodiment of everything that is wrong with society today, (read: she's a huge hipster and I wear a suit and work for a corporation). Anyway, she was saying that there is this new Ethiopian sandwich shop that opened that everybody must go to. It is the best sandwich around, so new and interesting amidst all of the New York restaurants and yadda yadda yadda. She also said that they will not under any circumstances allow any modifcations to their sandwich menu. I responded with that it sounds like a bunch of bullshit. She went on about how the chef has curated specific things together to taste a certain way and he doesn't have to change it if he doesn't want to. If you don't like it than leave.

Ok, now I would usually agree with this, if I am say dining at 11 Madison Park, Daniel, Per Se, but a ******* sandwich shop? That is utterly pretentious. If I don't like raw tomatoes and I know this, I have to pick them out and wing them. This dick won't just omit them for me because it is a part of the collection of flavors. I say if you want to woo people with your culinary skills, then do that at L'Ecole and cook for other chef's, or Cook at Daniel, where that type of appreciation for curation exists. Let me be the judge at the $6 sandwich shop whether I find tomatoes appaling or not, let me decide whether I want to experience your art, you tight T-shirt wearing ****. Sounds like bad business to me.

Thoughts?

P.S. I happened to offend a chef who was waiting on line for coffee as well. I asked her where she is a chef. A pastry chef at a bakery. She was a ***** too.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree- Alinea caters to people who don't eat pork or drink alcohol for ***** sake.

But then again, it is an Ethiopian sandwich, maybe there's nothing to omit?

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
soupnazi.jpg

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i would imagine that the flavor combination excuse was total bullshit and they just found customizations to be super annoying and unnecessary when they already get good business ( kind of like successful cash only places)

otoh at the prices you pay and the level of service you get at EMP i would imagine customizations to be required

Last edited:

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are no substitutions at emp because your menu is created as part of a "dialogue." :brick::lol:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

there are no substitutions at emp because your menu is created as part of a "dialogue." :brick::lol:

if there are no substitutions, isn't that a "monologue"?:brick:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
not necessarily. think of it like going to see a play. the actors can talk to one another, but pretty much you're supposed to sit there and shut up.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no b/c it's tailored to your tastes (technically.) hopefully it's obvious that i'm making fun of the ridiculousness of the restaurant's pr, since it's quite obvious that they aren't really adjusting things extensively based on communication at the table.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It sounds like public masturbation to me. The image, not the food.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no b/c it's tailored to your tastes (technically.) hopefully it's obvious that i'm making fun of the ridiculousness of the restaurant's pr, since it's quite obvious that they aren't really adjusting things extensively based on communication at the table.

i was agreeing with you. it's just that if they're the only ones talking, it's obviously not a conversation. and it can't really be tailored to your tastes if they don't want to know what your tastes are. personally, in a restaurant of this level, i don't have a problem with it being a monologue. i don't go to concerts to shout out requests either ("Free Bird!"). but that they announce it in such a way is kind of douche-y.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How many Ethiopians does it take to get a nice, meaty sandwich?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, now I would usually agree with this, if I am say dining at 11 Madison Park, Daniel, Per Se, but a ******* sandwich shop?

I can say for certain that per se does not agree with this. If you don't like an ingredient, speak up and they will be happy, ecstatic even, to find a way to modify the dish to your liking.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if there are no substitutions, isn't that a "monologue"?:brick:

not necessarily. think of it like going to see a play. the actors can talk to one another, but pretty much you're supposed to sit there and shut up.

EMP sucks. There is no dialogue. Aside from the risotto with shaved white truffles (which was heavenly and pretty much nobody could **** up) and the raw langoustine marinated in grape juice (which was ******* disgusting), I don't remember a single dish my wife and I had at EMP. For $600 something out to be memorable. I remember every course I've been served at TFL and per se.

alexg

Reaction score
I wouldn't say EMP even comes close to sucking. Yeah, Per Se is better, but EMP is still very very close. They're not really the same type of restaurant. Per Se perfects classic French style cooking while including some modern elements, while EMP is totally modern with French undertones. Both have their positives and negatives. EMP has a better (and more affordable) drink list and one of the most talented bartenders in the city. They also experiment a lot more. Per Se/TFL haven't changed much in the past few years, so obviously they can keep the food as close to perfect as possible. EMP is very experimental which means there are definitely some misses, but the best courses there could be better than the best at Per Se. I also prefer the staff at EMP. Most are genuinely friendly people who can have an interesting conversation. They also do listen to preferences and allergies. Obviously if you don't tell them in advance they can't cook things that take time, but they brought out entirely different courses when the person I was with told them he couldn't eat shellfish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads