• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliettes

Reaction score
just get a shaggy dog man

looking at the options im so tempted.

thanks for the list, DWW. for the hell of it, links + prices minus jp stuff:

$233 william fox - http://www.present-london.com/william-fox-and-sons/
$250 drakes - http://www.drakes.com/online-shop/knitwear/brushed-shetland-wool-crew-neck-sweater
$137 MKI - http://www.mkistore.co.uk/product_list.php?range=Men_tops (sold out though)
$195 neighbor - http://www.shopneighbour.com/products/shetland-wool-sweater-oxford
$190 norse - http://www.norseprojects.com/store/aw14/knitwear/birnir-shetland-grey_-melange
$165 andover - http://theandovershop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_9&products_id=72
$165 oconnells - http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/home.php?cat=986
$125 polo RL - http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=42381126
$230 J press - http://www.jpressonline.com/shaggy-dog/

only w. fox/drakes/mki/j press explicitly say "brushed" though the norse one looks it.

Knits are hard.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much does it help to have reported/flagged posts?

probably a question directed at @dieworkwear in particular (and probs better for the CM crowd) but can anyone comment on O'Connell's Shetland sweaters (particularly how they fit and how "shaggy" they are)? Been looking for an alternative to my Rugby one (I really miss rugby, didn't realize how much I'd want from them until it was too late), and I'm considering one over a used Schneider knit around the same price just because I like my wooly shetlands a lot more. I just don't want to justify $250 for a jpress one or something.

link
What about revamping the SF marketplace since we are on the topic. The only reason I like grailed is because it's easy to filter items and designers/brands.
We are working on some things, in particular, a size filter, but as you know, changing something that already exists is a lot more difficult than making something from scratch, and there is a lot of technical and political stuff going on behind the scenes that makes changing B&S difficult. I believe in it, but most information based sites, including forums, have more or less abandoned the idea of a viable classifieds section as part of their long term vision. I personally believe in it, but I am in the minority. Honestly, just so I don't have to field this type of question every few weeks, I'd gladly hire a developer and just have it done, if it was as simple as that. It would save me a persistent headache, both from our hosting partners (and Wikia is a pretty big organization) and from users who'd like to see improvements in this part of the forum.

For the time being, the best way, imo, to search B&S, is to use the search tool, advanced settings,
posts only, and in the SWD (or CM) marketplace. I generally sort by recency. It's not perfect, but we do have deent search tools.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a non-related topic. I would advise everyone to non use adblock on anything. imo, it handicaps people from seeing what advertisers and advertising and marketing companies are doing, and where is the state of the art. I know a few people in tech who use adblockers, and it astonishes me.

I would also recommend that developers do all of their work on an older laptop, and not on a ridiculously fast machine with 3 screens running. It takes away the tendency to overcomplicate things. There is no substitute for having to deal with the slower technology to make you really learn to develop for it.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We are working on some things, in particular, a size filter, but as you know, changing something that already exists is a lot more difficult than making something from scratch, and there is a lot of technical and political stuff going on behind the scenes that makes changing B&S difficult.  I believe in it, but most information based sites, including forums, have more or less abandoned the idea of a viable classifieds section as part of their long term vision.  I personally believe in it, but I am in the minority.  Honestly, just so I don't have to field this type of question every few weeks, I'd gladly hire a developer and just have it done, if it was as simple as that.  It would save me a persistent headache, both from our hosting partners (and Wikia is a pretty big organization) and from users who'd like to see improvements in this part of the forum.

For the time being, the best way, imo, to search B&S, is to use the search tool, advanced settings, 

posts only, and in the SWD (or CM) marketplace.  I generally sort by recency.  It's not perfect, but we do have deent search tools. 

Lets put it like this, grailed take a small fee from the sale and i'd gladly pay to to SF. Maybe the ROI is there for some devs to be hired.

On a non-related topic. I would advise everyone to non use adblock on anything.  imo, it handicaps people from seeing what advertisers and advertising and marketing companies are doing, and where is the state of the art.  I know a few people in tech who use adblockers, and it astonishes me.  

I would also recommend that developers do all of their work on an older laptop, and not on a ridiculously fast machine with 3 screens running.  It takes away the tendency to overcomplicate things.  There is no substitute for having to deal with the slower technology to make you really learn to develop for it.

Bad developers overcomplicate good ones make things simple.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets put it like this, grailed take a small fee from the sale and i'd gladly pay to to SF. Maybe the ROI is there for some devs to be hired.
Bad developers overcomplicate good ones make things simple.
It's not that there are not development resources, it's 1)That I don't have direct control of those resources, and 2) that it would be peripheral/tangential to the direction of our hosting partners, who are much more interested in developing the information aspects of the platform. I think that good B&S closes the loop for a site like this, but there is a lot of institutional inertia. This discussions is sorta a moot one. I have a specific vision that has a stronger, more attractive B&S system, and honestly, we wouldn't even need to make it profitable for a while while we build up a larger user base, but getting people aboard is a slow process. We have a lot more stability/can keep up with technology in a way that would have been impossible if we were on our own - things were a lot different, and a lot simpler, in 2002, but we did sacrifice some autonomy.

Agreed about the developers. But I think that good habits are learned by an intuitive understanding of the environment for which they are developing, and that there is a danger in removing yourself from that environment. (And I've seen it happen in many situations).

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On a non-related topic. I would advise everyone to non use adblock on anything.  imo, it handicaps people from seeing what advertisers and advertising and marketing companies are doing, and where is the state of the art.  

There's a limit to the astonishment I'm going to feel when I find out they've discovered a new way to sell **** I don't care about.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bought a pair of those Freeman's in olive actually, rather lightweight which might end up being good for LA.

I know they are far from the hippest of brands, but J.Peterman actually stocks a pretty high quality moleskin trouser. Made in Portugal, thick cotton fabric, traditional fit. Wait for a sale and these can be had for about $100.

Do you remember what model you got in the FSC? I was looking at the J. Peterman the other day - I like that they are available in black. When do they have sales?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a limit to the astonishment I'm going to feel when I find out they've discovered a new way to sell **** I don't care about.
lol. Wrong way to look at it. The stuff that you see is the shadow. If you choose to not see the shadow, you won't have any idea of the body of the beast. Unless you live off the grid, which you clearly do not, there is a vast amount of information out there about you that a lot of smart people are trying the analyse for a variety of reasons, the most innocuous and transparent of which is to sell you stuff. Don't you want to know at least a little about how advanced is the analytical technology?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

lol.  Wrong way to look at it.  The stuff that you see is the shadow.  If you choose to not see the shadow, you won't have any idea of the body of the beast.  Unless you live off the grid, which you clearly do not, there is a vast amount of information out there about you that a lot of smart people are trying the analyse for a variety of reasons, the most innocuous and transparent of which is to sell you stuff.   Don't you want to know at least a little about how advanced is the analytical technology?

I can read articles about that (and I do, I care about the big data picture,not the latest design on what they want me to click on), I can't deal with being bombarded by ads though so adblock and other anti-tracking plugins do come in handy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can read articles about that (and I do, I care about the big data picture,not the latest design on what they want me to click on), I can't deal with being bombarded by ads though so adblock and other anti-tracking plugins do come in handy.
There is a significant difference between reading about something and experiencing first hand how it is implemented downstream. You are experiencing it anyway, anti-tracking plugins notwithstanding, so you may as well see the shadow.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

There is a significant difference between reading about something and experiencing first hand how it is implemented downstream.  You are experiencing it anyway, anti-tracking plugins notwithstanding, so you may as well see the shadow.

Well I care about the large issues, not the technical and design aspects of ads so it works for me. I don't know if it works completely but I probably don't leave much of a trace when it comes to being tracked due to some measures I took and a variety of other factors. On the other hand I post uncensored pics of myself on public forums.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lol.  Wrong way to look at it.  The stuff that you see is the shadow.  If you choose to not see the shadow, you won't have any idea of the body of the beast.  Unless you live off the grid, which you clearly do not, there is a vast amount of information out there about you that a lot of smart people are trying the analyse for a variety of reasons, the most innocuous and transparent of which is to sell you stuff.   Don't you want to know at least a little about how advanced is the analytical technology?

I'm all for maintaining an open mind about this type of thing, but it's freaking advertising, mate. You may find it particularly fascinating but no, I don't feel I'm being at all held back by my lack of desire to see a 3D pop-up about the next must-own pair of jeans.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you remember what model you got in the FSC? I was looking at the J. Peterman the other day - I like that they are available in black. When do they have sales?

I bought the "Academy" model from FSC.

JP has a lot of sales, but I think the moleskins usually get marked down to that level maybe 3-4 times a year. Might be worth signing up for their email list, especially if you like romantic prose about trousers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads