• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've coincidentally been looking for moleskin trousers too. I've found some British webstores - Hogg's of Fife, Cordings, some others that are eluding me at the moment. I have no idea of the fit or quality on any of these. I'm surprised that I can't find them from the typical american places - neither Brooks Brothers, Bean, Lands End are stocking moleskin. There are some interesting pairs from Freemans on ebay.

I feel like Ralph Lauren usually have a few pairs of moleskin pants each year.

inmamy

Reaction score
All b&s listings that link to grailed will be deleted. Actually, since the guy is so scuzzy, I'll be making the term restricted so that there will be no links to that site.
If you don't mind sharing, could you tell us how he's being sleazy? Would like to avoid using his site if he's up to shady stuff.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you don't mind sharing, could you tell us how he's being sleazy? Would like to avoid using his site if he's up to shady stuff.

Mainly, he started off sleazy. He built a user base by using the pm system of many forums, which is against everyone's ToS, for obvious reasons. Then, being a hypocrite, he puts out a DCMA against a competitor. Then, is starts to ban or censure his users for things they said in pm, which, despite his denials, he could not have known without reading the content.

Judge for yourself.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've coincidentally been looking for moleskin trousers too. I've found some British webstores - Hogg's of Fife, Cordings, some others that are eluding me at the moment. I have no idea of the fit or quality on any of these. I'm surprised that I can't find them from the typical american places - neither Brooks Brothers, Bean, Lands End are stocking moleskin. There are some interesting pairs from Freemans on ebay.

Bought a pair of those Freeman's in olive actually, rather lightweight which might end up being good for LA.

I know they are far from the hippest of brands, but J.Peterman actually stocks a pretty high quality moleskin trouser. Made in Portugal, thick cotton fabric, traditional fit. Wait for a sale and these can be had for about $100.

Edit: had to add the copy

"Moleskin trousers are what you might see on a man driving a 27-year-old tractor, purring along over the velvety-green groundswells of England, lost in thought, totally unaware that soft rain has been falling on his head for a good 40 minutes.
(Is he working out a scheme to recapture his seat in Parliament? Composing a piece of stubborn music? Mentally laying out a new field of crops? We’ll never know.)"

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mainly, he started off sleazy. He built a user base by using the pm system of many forums, which is against everyone's ToS, for obvious reasons. Then, being a hypocrite, he puts out a DCMA against a competitor. Then, is starts to ban or censure his users for things they said in pm, which, despite his denials, he could not have known without reading the content.

Judge for yourself.

What about banning the term Kitchen Ace or a combination of the words online live sports streaming?

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I stream live sports online though, which is the truth and not spam

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What about banning the term Kitchen Ace or a combination of the words online live sports streaming?

We can only ban words for all users, sitewide. We've tried doing this, actually, but bots don't care, and real live spammers are too smart, for it to be any type of deterrent.

I spend about 45 min a day on spam duty...

juliettes

Reaction score
How much does it help to have reported/flagged posts?

probably a question directed at @dieworkwear in particular (and probs better for the CM crowd) but can anyone comment on O'Connell's Shetland sweaters (particularly how they fit and how "shaggy" they are)? Been looking for an alternative to my Rugby one (I really miss rugby, didn't realize how much I'd want from them until it was too late), and I'm considering one over a used Schneider knit around the same price just because I like my wooly shetlands a lot more. I just don't want to justify $250 for a jpress one or something.

link

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My secure online banking access runs Java and I have to tell it to load EVERYTIME and it's ******* annoying.

My mother has similar issues, although she has another bank and is using XP and Chrome.

Yeah banks need to run Java because it is good when you have a lot of data to deal with. It's odd that your browser asks for it to run everytime. I believe its a browser security setting, the only time I ever encounter the issue. Check if you can whitelist the bank site and save the setting to allow for it to run in your browser.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Judge for yourself.

What about revamping the SF marketplace since we are on the topic. The only reason I like grailed is because it's easy to filter items and designers/brands.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How much does it help to have reported/flagged posts?

probably a question directed at @dieworkwear
in particular (and probs better for the CM crowd) but can anyone comment on O'Connell's Shetland sweaters  (particularly how they fit and how "shaggy" they are)? Been looking for an alternative to my Rugby one (I really miss rugby, didn't realize how much I'd want from them until it was too late), and I'm considering one over a used Schneider knit around the same price just because I like my wooly shetlands a lot more. I just don't want to justify $250 for a jpress one or something.

link

They're not that shaggy. They're just regular Shetlands, although Shetland is always going to be a little more textured than a smooth Merino or cotton.

I think they're fairly slim fitting. I took a size 38 and the chest measures 20" across. Note, some of the new colors are sized differently, I've found. You could always ask the store if they can give you a measurement of the chest for some specific color you're interested in.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
just get a shaggy dog man

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Other companies have offered brushed Shetlands, if you want cheaper alternatives. Don't know if they still do, but it might be worth checking with:

• William Fox (available at Present London)
  • Drake's (of London)
  • John Tulloch (mostly only available in Japan, but can often be found on Rakuten)
  • Neighbour (the Canadian shop/ StyFo affiliate)
  • Howlin'/ Morrison (though, TBH, I found them a little too loosely woven)
  • MKI/ Miyuki Zoku
  • Norse Projects
  • Any of the trad-y shops like O'Connell's and Andover Shop
  • Ralph Lauren (they've seem to have folded back in a lot of the Rugby designs)
  • Laurence Odie (the company that makes J. Press' Shaggy Dogs, though I don't know if they'll sell to the public)

Last edited:

SmileForum

Reaction score
My copy of Ann's book just came in. Rather disappointing to be honest. It's just one big book of every collection up to S/S14, and not much else. One picture from the runway per paper, not page, paper, so the book is enormous. No mentioning of her process, or a look inside her atelier...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads