• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Responding to perceived ignorance with an ad-hominem attack isn't intellectualism either. With all due respect.

My comment wasn't an attempt at intellectualism. I don't spend my free time researching ways to justify ignorance. I was merely pointing out where he might find some friends who enjoy such a hobby.

Anyway, I'm sure we've been through this before...

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just getting older, but I don't see the point of most confrontations, having had more than my share of them. I've never seen them change minds, and honestly, I don't feel like beating any more people up, whatever form that takes. It's a lot of energy for no gain. The world is very large, and there is a place for just about everyone.

Re. gender politics. I think that a lot of the debates currently taking place are on topics of little to no value, and that the conclusions have no intellectual consequence. So they don't interest me.

This is on point. Nobody ever changes their mind in these arguments, especially on the internet. It's just butting heads with a lot of emotion behind it. Arguing over the drape in spacepope's latest fit is more productive than discussing gender politics online. (Which is what we're on styleforum for in the first place, right?)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hypocrisy of Western feminisms's self-righteous victimhood while they themselves oppress and exploit not only animals but women and men of poorer nations is well illustrated by this recent irony http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arriet-s-45-Feminist-Looks-Like-T-shirts.html

Not to mention the fact the men in the west have poorer physical health, poorer mental health, more likely to be the victims of violence, more likely to die in wars, less social and emotional support and so on and so forth.

It is astonishing the depth of the guilt that has been instilled in young brad-t by this relentless dogma, just for the fact that he has two balls dangling between his thighs; they don't need you to stand up for them, they are plenty good at doing that for themselves.
This article has nothing to do with hypocrisy or feminism and excepting the fact that some fool is trying to shame feminists by (and pretty cynically) trying to make a stupid argument that goes something like: "Women are being oppressed in the factories where "This is what a feminist" t-shirts are made, therefore those who wear those tee shirts are actually bad to women. Therefore we can discount them."

That we need to make a profit seling $2 teeshirts, something that simply couldn't exist until we decided that it's okay to pay people nothing to work in horrendous conditions is a real and salient issue, and does have to do with human rights, and more specifically, the treatment of women, globalized labor, and so on, but this "article" is just tremendously bad. The editor who greenlighted this dreck should punch himself repeatedly, in the mouth.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, the concept of leisure travel being boring just strikes me insane.
It becomes that way. Back in college, and really, even into my early 30s, I used to really get excited about getting on a plane and going somewhere. These days, it takes a lot more energy to muster up the enthusiasm.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's just geography and access, not actually objectively boring :) Thailand is just really easy to get to and really easy to travel around from Asia, can book everything from hotels, trains, even boats trips online no problem. Transport infrastructure is fantastic and the scams are few. Last couple trips I've taken have been to developed countries that are easy to travel - Indonesia and Vietnam. Was planning on going some place a bit more "rough" but it wasn't in the cards

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just getting older, but I don't see the point of most confrontations, having had more than my share of them. I've never seen them change minds, and honestly, I don't feel like beating any more people up, whatever form that takes. It's a lot of energy for no gain. The world is very large, and there is a place for just about everyone.

Re. gender politics. I think that a lot of the debates currently taking place are on topics of little to no value, and that the conclusions have no intellectual consequence. So they don't interest me.

While I agree with your bit about confrontations, I'd argue that the same logic you applied to gender politics here was applied to gay men and lesbian women a few decades ago.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

While I agree with your bit about confrontations, I'd argue that the same logic you applied to gender politics here was applied to gay men and lesbian women a few decades ago. 

I suppose that I would say that while gender studies has been extremely politically successful, and has moved the needle quite a bit in the past several decades, that it has always been intellectually suspect.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
glad to see we've moved on

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most intellectually unsuspect work I've read in the past year has been Martha Nussbaum's Fragility of Goodness. It's not a feminist work, but the degree of scholarship and clarity of thought made me feel ****** about myself. Not that I hold all theory to some Aristotelian standard of clarity and concision but there are lots of feminist academics who ball pretty hard and have paid their dues. Paglia in particular constantly whines about the lack of scholarship and fundamentals in modern academia.

somewhat off topic: everyone should watch the show Transparent on Amazon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur