• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whichever group is in power has the privilege. In the state where I live, it's the Mormons. They benefit greatly from this privilege, and, as long as it doesn't affect my life in an overtly negative way, I don't really care. I have known plenty of people over the years who whine about the Mormons, and it gets them nowhere except to make them sound incredibly annoying.
And it's worth pointing out the in many other parts of the the US, Mormons are essentially an oppressed class.

There are lots of different ways to suffer in this world, sadly. Some people definitely get caught up in the "oppression olympics," but I find the wholesale disregard of these concepts and their origins to be disconcerting at best. Rarely has anyone willing to joyfully trivialize the suffering of others been on the right side of history.
I like that, "Oppression Olympics". I'm not disregarding anything or anyone except for a bunch of self-righteous, self-congratulatory, crusaders who live in some of the safest bubbles in the world. That last sentence is something you'd like to be true, but is clearly not.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I hope you realize that your views are marginalized for the same reason minority groups' views are marginalized: you're the other in the equation.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, and you've probably never been mistaken for being transgender, and I've never actually been transgender, nor have I been a cisgender woman, or black living in America's bible belt, or any other variety of an less-than-ideal situations. I've never lived anywhere other than in a fairly comfortable part of the world. I'm a heterosexual white male which puts me in a pretty good position, despite my fabulous eyebrows.
The bolded part is pretty telling. If you've ever lived in the Bible belt, or know anything about it, you'd probably realize that being black is not, by far, the worse thing, though being black anywhere in American is not ideal. The Catholics, who are seen as heretics and idolators and papists of the worst sort, are considerably more marginalized, in many communties. Mormons used to be on the same level as Catholics, Satanists, and Scientologists, but they seem to have made some decent inroads.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The bolded part is pretty telling.  If you've ever lived in the Bible belt, or know anything about it, you'd probably realize that being black is not, by far, the worse thing, though being black anywhere in American is not ideal.  The Catholics, who are seen as heretics and idolators and papists of the worst sort, are considerably more marginalized, in many communties.  

This doesn't ring true to me. Of course now we're getting into the "who's more oppressed" bullshit that we all love to hate, but (just to name one example) I don't see many Catholics afraid of being fucked over, beaten, or killed by the police in situations where standard white dudes just get sympathetic treatment. Whereas for blacks this is a very real threat.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
@brad-t

The frog lived down in a well where there was all he had to live. One day, a softshelled turtle came by and told him about the sea. 'The sea? Hah! It's paradise in here. Nothing can be better than this well. Why don't you come down and share my joy?'

The turtle tried, and failed as the mouth of the well was too small. 'Why don't you go see the sea instead? During Yu the Great's reign, there was flooding for nine out of ten years, yet the sea barely grew an inch. During Tang of Shang's reign, droughts were experienced in seven out of eight years, yet the sea hardly shrank. Being unaffected by such disasters is the joy of living in the sea.'

By the way, my well is not far off from yours. Drop by and say hello sometime :foo:

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This doesn't ring true to me. Of course now we're getting into the "who's more oppressed" bullshit that we all love to hate, but (just to name one example) I don't see many Catholics afraid of being fucked over, beaten, or killed by the police in situations where standard white dudes just get sympathetic treatment. Whereas for blacks this is a very real threat.
Again, this depends on the metric you use and what standards you apply. Most Catholics are physically indistinguishable from the average protestant, so no, a cop is not going to pull you over for being a Papist. However, in many Evangelical sects, interracial marriages are increasingly common, while marrying a Catholic, you may as well be consigning your soul over the devil, for sale by Luxeswap.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@brad-t

The frog lived down in a well where there was all he had to live. One day, a softshelled turtle came by and told him about the sea. 'The sea? Hah! It's paradise in here. Nothing can be better than this well. Why don't you come down and share my joy?'

The turtle tried, and failed as the mouth of the well was too small. 'Why don't you go see the sea instead? During Yu the Great's reign, there was flooding for nine out of ten years, yet the sea barely grew an inch. During Tang of Shang's reign, droughts were experienced in seven out of eight years, yet the sea hardly shrank. Being unaffected by such disasters is the joy of living in the sea.'

By the way, my well is not far off from yours. Drop by and say hello sometime :foo:

Few things compare to the trauma of me having to read this allegory comparing blacks and Catholics to frogs and turtles.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Again, this depends on the metric you use and what standards you apply.  Most Catholics are physically indistinguishable from the average protestant, so no, a cop is not going to pull you over for being a Papist.  However, in many Evangelical sects, interracial marriages are increasingly common, while marrying a Catholic, you may as well be consigning your soul over the devil, for sale by Luxeswap.

Dude..Alabama didn't official repeal its law banning black-white marriages until the year 2000. They did a referendum on it. 40% of people voted against repealing the law:

http://ballotpedia.org/Alabama_Interracial_Marriage,_Amendment_2_(2000)

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

Few things compare to the trauma of me having to read this allegory comparing blacks and Catholics to frogs and turtles.

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude..Alabama didn't official repeal its law banning black-white marriages until the year 2000. They did a referendum on it. 40% of people voted against repealing the law:

http://ballotpedia.org/Alabama_Interracial_Marriage,_Amendment_2_(2000)
I don't know anything about Alabama, but I do know about the deep distrust for Catholics and Mormons among protestant churches in the south. Incidentally, I never said that the South (or anywhere) was a great place to be black. It's certainly something that you can't hide (easily).

I suppose that it comes down to a very real debate about whether mortification of the body or the spirit is a worse thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPX99