• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Maybe I'm just getting older, but I don't see the point of most confrontations, having had more than my share of them. I've never seen them change minds, and honestly, I don't feel like beating any more people up, whatever form that takes. It's a lot of energy for no gain. The world is very large, and there is a place for just about everyone.

Re. gender politics. I think that a lot of the debates currently taking place are on topics of little to no value, and that the conclusions have no intellectual consequence. So they don't interest me.

Quote:
This is on point. Nobody ever changes their mind in these arguments, especially on the internet. It's just butting heads with a lot of emotion behind it. Arguing over the drape in spacepope's latest fit is more productive than discussing gender politics online. (Which is what we're on styleforum for in the first place, right?)

I'm sure you two are usually right, but as someone who usually spectates (don't really feel informed or qualified to speak), I've learned a lot, and thought about more from reading debates like this, articles, tumblr comments, and random blog stuff. I'm not saying everything is great, and sometimes I just can't empathise or get interested, but genuinely one of the reasons I love the internet is that it constantly moves me outside of my small bubble and into a much more complex and interesting world: this is true whether it's sick fits, travel ****, Iran, jokes or transgender conversations.

I'll never understand the people that claim that a community of people (a forum) should be just one thing, seems kind of shallow to me!

Some of the stuff Brad's GF put online, for example, is fascinating and, sincerely, I'd never have thought about some of the stuff that gets put up there, or on other blogs I occasionally read.

I think it's a bit crass to say people never learn or change during an argument just because the two or three most opinionated people don't change much.

Heading to Chiang Mai and the north from the 26th - 1st so some of the places are definitely on the list, you have any super recs for the couple days we'll be up there? I heard Chiang Mai itself will be pretty bumping on New Year's eve (this will be eight New Years in a row all in different countries... damn). Flying down to Phuket early on the 1st and gonna immediately get out of there and head to Phi Phi for scuba diving for two nights and then onto either Railay or Lanta for two more for some relaxing before flying Krabi back to BKK then home. I made these plans and booked hotels and flights last night while drunk and angry at every single domestic airline in Myanmar for giving me the super-runaround on whether or not my tickets were booked (they weren't and now never will be!!). Kinda sad because I really wanted to see Bagan and Myanmar, I have a cool friend from there who posts wacky stuff on Facebook all the time and the country looks like a blast

Chiang Mai is realllllly chill - so if you're into massive parties it's probably not as good as the South. It does have excellent forests, great food and a lessened tourist trap feel (compared to, say, Koh Tao or Samui or Phuket where it feels like you are hated and everyone else hates the locals and it's all insanely two-tiered). The Elephant Nature Park is excellent, brutal, but really worthwhile (IME). Pai is great for waterfalls and scooter riding. Chiang Rai has the white and the black temple, which are seriously kvelt. Mae Hong Son = lake, food and not much else.

Nothing like Bagan, though!

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The mayor thing that I remember from my trip to Phuket, is a market where I had to run out or I would have thrown up due to the smell of rotting meat, so disgusting.

I stayed in Patong Beach prior to to the tsunami, at the hotel the movie is based at, it is odd to think about probably all the employees I spoke to are dead now.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, the concept of leisure travel being boring just strikes me insane.

It becomes that way. Back in college, and really, even into my early 30s,  I used to really get excited about getting on a plane and going somewhere.  These days, it takes a lot more energy to muster up the enthusiasm. 

I love being somewhere new and experiencing new things, but having traveled for work airports have become at bit like train stations and then having to sit next to some stranger for xx hours in a row, is like playing chat roulette in person and not being able to push next.

1989thenumber

Reaction score

Thailand is a boring choice when you live in Asia or Australasia.

Mexico or the Bahamas or something would be considered somewhat interesting. It's just geography.

Agreed. It's relative to your location. I'm two hours from Thailand and I'm sick of the place. Unless it's for a bender with the lads in BK. Then I'm there, every time. Although they have a 2am curfew these days, so it ain't what it used to be.

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Go to India

The thing that stymies me from going to a place like India - where I very much want to go - is just not knowing where to start. I feel like I'd have to get some sort of package deal with guided tours and all that stuff so I don't either a) end up in some isolated resort hotel where all I see is a boring beach or something or b) end up somewhere awful getting dysentery and pickpocketed and all that stuff that probably doesn't actually happen that often but I'm vaguely wary of anyway.

Best Budz

Reaction score
India is so vast, it's probably better to just concentrate on an area and explore around there instead of hopping around and only getting a superficial feel for a bunch of places.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

India is so vast, it's probably better to just concentrate on an area and explore around there instead of hopping around and only getting a superficial feel for a bunch of places.

This is how I feel about a lot of places. I'd rather spend quality time rather than trying "see everything." Last time I was in India, I tried to do much and it just exhausted me by the end of the trip. Had a wonderful time, but trekking out to see the Taj, sleepwalking through it, and then heading back to Delhi before I had properly awoken was probably my lowest point :) Anyone heading to India, highly recommend the state of Kerala, best place I've been in India.

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
surely there's a way to visit India that falls in between those two extremes no? Haven't been myself but I know tons of ppl who did, who aren't the most grizzled of travelers and did fine

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYWAYS, sorry about the derail, my wife and mom are away on business and my best friend moved away and nobody wants to talk to me :( To get back to fashion talk, I'm on my way towards a "minimalist" wardrobe. I don't mean minimalist by regular people standards, but by fashion people standards. I'm paring down my wardrobe to keep a couple pieces that I really like. I'm especially narrowing it down in terms of shirts and pants - I have three pairs of "everyday" pants, two jeans and some wool stretch pants, and my entire t-shirt drawer is full of two types of American Apparel t-shirts I like. I enjoy just wearing comfortable clothes and then "dressing it up" with a jacket and boots. I've worn the exact same thing days in a row, only changing out the boots, and it feels kinda cool.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I grew up in India. Id say the south is far nicer to someone new to the country.

Growing up in Delhi was nuts though. I think living stateside has made me weak. Not sure I could be in Delhi for more than a week now.

It's a hell of an experience and omg the food....

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vimeo_logo.png

edit: @Ivwri I hope you don't mind I posted this

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPX99