• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
when people talk about admission rates at the undergraduate level I can't help but laugh :foo:

also finished my first phd class. was... interesting.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
i hope you're being sarcastic

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

when people talk about admission rates at the undergraduate level I can't help but laugh :foo:

also finished my first phd class. was... interesting.

thesis updates , please !

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that we're talking about education:
I don't think I've said it on this part of the forum, but I've spent this term studying business in Hong Kong.

CUHK?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
same here, besides the "im young" part.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

I don't recall the last troll as brilliant as this. Masterful work I must say

And that’s a shame, because trolling used to be pretty funny and almost entirely harmless. Trolling, despite the modern usage, does not mean “the act of pissing somebody off and laughing about their anger.” It is “the act of pissing somebody off BASED ON SOMETHING COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS and laughing about their MISPLACED anger.”

If this kind of thing was still confined to YouTube comments – then *******, who cares? But it’s not. It spills out. It’s everywhere now, even seeping into reality: There are people walking the Earth today who genuinely think, in all aspects of their lives, that somebody getting pissed off at them for valid reasons means they win something. If some asshole says something in assholish to you, and you respond to him as you would an asshole, he wins, because you’re mad. ... Being a dick isn’t funny, because you’re not making jokes. It isn’t clever, because you’re not outsmarting anybody.

- Robert Brockway, http://www.robertbrockway.net/2013/07/18/its-not-a-game-if-you-cant-lose/

It might be easy to say that this quote doesn't apply because Isachenko is arguing over essentially meaningless stuff, but he is causing actual harm; StyleForum is a considerably shittier place to be now than it is when everyone is posting in earnest, or in good humour. It's harmful to the community to have half a thread derailed by shitposts, or have a page empty because you've ignored a bunch of users on it. And it would all be totally avoidable if anyone at SF understood what moderation is, understood what community management is. Even if Isachenko is a troll (and I'm not convinced that he isn't just a dickhead), the effect it has on the atmosphere here is real.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup.
How'd you know? Or just a guess?

Haha cool! Well it's probably the best school in HK and has a large international program. But the real reason is my wife did her JD/MBA there so it was the first school I thought of. I've been there many times and when we were in Central went to that "campus" in BOA, then later in Shatin. Hope you've been enjoying it and happy travels!

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i feel old seeing you guys talk about undergrad/grad school :/  

i always thought you were in hs or undergrad :eek: sorry.

i enjoy acceptance rate, ranking stuff even though it's not really relevant to me anymore (hopefully). probably because i'm asian :foo:

that being said it's not that some what very relevant in real life.

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pretty much wasted my time going into major debt to attend an unranked UG school (I barely even made it to college tbh), so it feels good to know almost for sure that I'll be attending a well regarded T10 law school

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene