1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volatile

volatile Well-Known Member

@MickeyPunch

2. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Just PMd nn, but in case that doesn't work out and someone else can get this for me, I really really want this one
    [​IMG]

If you can get the other floral Mapplethorpe crewneck one or the Sol Lewitt plaid that'd be cool too

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  3. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

I already got mine, the Jackson Pollock one had a full size run in the European online store. It's on its way. :)

I also got another one from the same collection but from a different designer (the Sol Lewitt plaid one kindofyoung is referring to above).

4. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Well-Known Member

I ordered a Navajo ring from the US and ~3 weeks and 1 customs charge later it arrives and I find they've sent me a slightly different ring, 2 1/2 sizes larger than the one I ordered (and way too big for my hands)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Honestly, this is why the upcharge from someone like Self Edge is worth it. Either way, you pay. I prefer to pay upfront.

6. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

Dude, it's common knowledge that Navajo rings grow in the mail. But luckily they're unsanforized, so try soaking it for a day.

12 people like this.
  7. planetarium

planetarium Well-Known Member

buzzed my head last night to get rid of an outdated haircut and also because I was scared to try it

feels good :)

2 people like this.
  8. Lorcan7

Yeah. I already have a bracelet from Self Edge. I was trying to diversify [​IMG].

If I get any more Navajo pieces I'll probably order from Japan. Sounds dumb, but Japanese stores seem to buy the good stuff (ie. more wearable / fashion friendly plain silver pieces, fewer kitsch and turquoise / gem encrusted things) compared to the US shops, and if the retail is slightly more than the US, it'll even out slightly given I can control what I pay in customs to the UK with a shopping service.

9. planetarium

planetarium Well-Known Member

I got a Fernando Puhuhefvaya ring in Utah when I was 16 and have been wearing it since. He's Hopi; the imagery is similar due to the (often troublesome) proximity of the tribes, but different enough that it will stand out a bit from all the Navajo appropriation you see in Japan. I recommend his stuff highly and it's priced well due to a complete lack of hype.

10. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Even Japan's Native Americans are cooler than ours

10 people like this.
  11. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

Lanvin biker pants have a dart from mid calf down which I think works pretty well.

12. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I'm kinda fed up with all delivery services at this point.

UPS: A package was either stolen or never delivered in the first place, and the upshot is that I'm basically screwed out of $150 because of it (some of it was store credit, but it's still frustrating). Also, one of the drivers has taken to leaving packages outside.

USPS: They've pretty much given up on delivering the mail every day. It's somehow worst with Netflix DVDs, which have been showing up about a week late recently (which is particularly ridiculous since there's a Netflix shipping depot in or right outside of Philly). They suck with international deliveries - they basically leave a missed package slip and then never attempt to redeliver even if you request it. Also, I've had a package sitting in Chicago for a full week with no tracking updates.

FedEx: There are two drivers that I know of that do my route, and the one that seems to handle deliveries most often doesn't bother ringing the doorbell ever. He just leaves a missed package slip. I end up having to go to a local FedEx store. It's not that far away, but for a service that ostensibly offers home delivery, it's not ideal.

LaserShip: Literally the worst. Same deal with not ringing the doorbell. I had to get in touch with them four times before the driver finally rang the bell, and he seemed genuinely confused about how to ring the bell (which is incredibly obvious, clearly labeled, and functions like any other doorbell) when he finally delivered it (I'd also left both my phone number and instructions on the location of the bell each time I contacted their CS). I'm fairly sure that the driver was just driving past the apartment building and marking it as a a delivery attempt, since they don't leave a missed package slip or anything.

13. Lorcan7

Pretty much. Some Navajo guys sell 95% of their work to Japan, crazy. And the audience for it there is almost exclusively male and fashion conscious.

1 person likes this.
  14. Abraxis

Abraxis Well-Known Member

You know which shipper is the best? Ontrac, thanks amazon!

15. nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

NY people is extra still open??

16. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Not an NY person but I know it closed maybe 6 months ago.

1 person likes this.
  17. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Michael Kirk's work looks great.

Do you have any recommendable sources for Navajo jewelry? Either in the US or Japan? (Or anywhere else, I suppose)

18. Biggskip

Biggskip Well-Known Member

Do you have an office that you could have packages delivered to?

19. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Nah, I work remotely from a home office.

20. Lorcan7

Hmm well I'm not sure I'd recommend the US store I just bought from given what happened (Perry Null Trading).

Gallup Trading has some nice Michael Kirk rings but I have no experience with them.

As far as Japan Silver and Gold are definitely a recommended store, but only have a smallish selection at one time, they often have some good stuff though. They also have the hobo x Stanley Parker pieces which I like. Otherwise I dunno, there are a ton of Japanese stores you can stumble on if you google a particular craftsperson. To pick arbitrarily, river-mail have volumes of stuff.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.