• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched a good documentary on Norman Parkinson over the weekend. Still on iplayer for UK memvers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s40mv/Arena_aka_Norman_Parkinson/

A great fashion photographer and very stylish man himself.

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that looks great.

Thanks to whoever recommended the weleda sage deodorant, I now smell like everything that is good in the world.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen is great for someone with no culinary background. My boss bought me the America's Test Kitchen family cookbook the christmas before last and it's a lot of "do no wrong" recipes--they test the **** out every recipe and have a very "we tried a bunch of **** and this was the best way to do it" attitude towards cooking.

I'm currently cooking my way through their 'science of good cooking' book and cook a lot of **** from their "slow cooker revolution' book. The show/podcast is pretty great too.

Though I don't cook a ton of pork. The only pork i've made were some slow cooked/broiled BBQ ribs:

Though I do have a soft spot for Alton brown

Last edited:

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah ok, Band of Outsiders makes a nice one, usually drops I think $400 during sales at Barneys. I had the BoO tux top but haven't needed the pants yet :lol:

I assume you're implying that you only attend weddings pantless. Or that you only attend pantless weddings.

I wish all my high tops had inner zip. It would make life so much easier.

very tempted to have a cobbler add silver-zips on the inside of my B&Ns

I had a cobbler install an inner zip on my CP BBall highs. Best decision I ever made.

Also, how is MyHabit suddenly charging return shipping, even if it's for Amazon credit? I am disappoint.

Which cobbler did you use? Need to get some boots vibramed and if they can do that then I feel pretty safe going to them.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
America's test kitchen is cool, love the blind tests on all kinds of things.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen is great for someone with no culinary background. My boss bought me the America's Test Kitchen family cookbook the christmas before last and it's a lot of "do no wrong" recipes--they test the **** out every recipe and have a very "we tried a bunch of **** and this was the best way to do it" attitude towards cooking.

I'm currently cooking my way through their 'science of good cooking' book and cook a lot of **** from their "slow cooker revolution' book. The show/podcast is pretty great too.

Though I don't cook a ton of pork. The only pork i've made were some slow cooked/broiled BBQ ribs:

Though I do have a soft spot for Alton brown

Alton looking shorter and nattier that I would have expected.

America's test kitchen is cool, love the blind tests on all kinds of things.

I enjoy watching the program, but on the other hand sometimes I really don't want to watch 60 minutes of programming just to learn which brand of Sea Salt is the best.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
That's only a 5 minute segment on each show. They did chicken in the last one I saw and explained air chilling vs water chilling, was pretty interesting.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting: http://www.businessoffashion.com/20...finally-speaks-on-why-he-left-balenciaga.html

You’re saying this spanned from a lack of dialogue?

NG: From the fact that there was no one helping me on the business side, for example.

Can you be more specific?

NG: They wanted to open up a load of stores but in really mediocre spaces, where people weren’t aware of the brand. It was a strategy that I just couldn’t relate to. I found this garage space on Faubourg-Saint-Honoré; I got in contact with the real estate guy who’s a friend of a friend, and we started talking… And when I went back to Balenciaga, the reaction was, ‘Oh no, no, no, not Faubourg-Saint-Honoré, you can’t be serious?’ And I said yes really, the architecture is amazing, it’s not a classic shop. Oh really, really… then six months went by, six long months of negotiations… it was just so frustrating. Everything was like that.

When was the first time you felt your ambitions for the house were no longer compatible with Balenciaga’s management?

NG: It was all the time, but especially over the last two or three years it became one frustration after another. It was really that lack of culture which bothered me in the end. The strongest pieces that we made for the catwalk got ignored by the business people. They forgot that in order to get to that easily sellable biker jacket, it had to go via a technically mastered piece that had been shown on the catwalk. I started to become unhappy when I realised that there was no esteem, interest, or recognition for the research that I’d done; they only cared about what the merchandisable result would look like. This accelerated desire meant they ignored the fact that all the pieces that remain the most popular today are from collections we made ten years ago. They have become classics and will carry on being so. Although the catwalk was extremely rich in ideas and products, there was no follow-up merchandising. With just one jacket we could have triggered whole commercial strategies. It’s what I wanted to do, but I couldn’t do everything. I was switching between the designs for the catwalk and the merchandisable pieces – I became Mr Merchandiser. There was never a merchandiser at Balenciaga, which I regret terribly.

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah he definitely looked rougher than expected when i met him.

Hugh Jackman was at the table next to ours at brunch on Saturday. He is a GIANT HUMAN BEING. Definitely not really what I expected. He also looked quite a bit more weathered than I would have imagined.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
yeah he definitely looked rougher than expected when i met him.

Though recently he's become somewhat of a style icon:

http://suavebynature.tumblr.com/post/41705968121/a-chat-with-mr-alton-brown

That's not what natty means...

Also, Good Eats has been one of my favorites forever, and I think Alton Brown is amazing on everything else he does, but reading that just totally flipped my world upside down
uhoh.gif

WHY ALTON WHY. YOU HAVE SO MANY AMAZING THINGS TO SAY ABOUT FOOD; WHY DO YOU SOUND LIKE THE SAME #MENSWEAR DRIVEL BEING SPEWED OUT FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS.

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently he is kind of a total dick, too. I love Good Eats and it will always be one of my favorite cooking shows, but as a dude Alton seems really lame.

PLUS I SHOPPED AT ALL THOSE GROCERY STORES BEFORE HE FEATURED THEM ON HIS SHOW SO I DID IT FIRST

Last edited:

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Apparently he is kind of a total dick, too. I love Good Eats and it will always be one of my favorite cooking shows, but as a dude Alton seems really lame.

PLUS I SHOPPED AT ALL THOSE GROCERY STORES BEFORE HE FEATURED THEM ON HIS SHOW SO I DID IT FIRST

Yeah I don't know. I always thought the extra geeky jokes were annoying, but I've just learned so much from him, not to mention the fact that I'm a huge sucker for cheesy puns. (we call them "Dad-puns", but I'm not sure that's a universally recognized term) He's like super into motorcycles and is a born again Christian, right? Interesting man, sort of.

You're from Georgia though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads