• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I don't know.  I always thought the extra geeky jokes were annoying, but I've just learned so much from him, not to mention the fact that I'm a huge sucker for cheesy puns.  (we call them "Dad-puns", but I'm not sure that's a universally recognized term)  He's like super into motorcycles and is a born again Christian, right?  Interesting man, sort of.

You're from Georgia though?

Wow! I've never heard this term before, but I'm pretty sure that my picture is next to the definition on the dictionary.
<P>
<P>
Why did the dad tie a rag around his baby's neck?
<P>
<P>
To avoid making a mess of BIBlical proportions!

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a huge sucker for them dad-puns too, and I still fondly remember the title theme and it always gets stuck in my head, and the super cheesy and stupid intros that he did. Hah. It was kind of an awful show if we're gonna be real, but like you said, I learned a whole lot. And yea, supposedly he's mega-christian these days and says a lot of really nasty stuff, and he has some really polarizing (and dumb) opinions.

I went to school for a long time close-by Marietta (where is from and currently lives) and kinda knew his nephew. A lot of the Asian stores featured on the show are 100% legit, like I remember mid 90s - early 2000s the stores were 100% Asian and my mom would take me grocery shopping there weekly. She'd make a half hour - 45 minute drive to go to these places instead of other grocery stores, always said the food was fresher and better, especially meats and fish. I'd see maybe like 1 non-asian family there a month, and it's crazy how the whole food movement has grown cause these days it's probably half non-Asian and half Asian shopping there.

Pretty cool that people are more interested in cooking different things, except there has been a slew of really bad Americanized food popping up that make really cruddy stuff and charge way too much for it popping around these once lower income ethnic areas.

Last edited:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of asian stores i need to bring a cooler to work one day so i can buy some sushi grade fish at H mart and make some homemade sushi.

I always crave it after workouts but Post workout hunger + price of sushi = bad times.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+| d`

Could be that Balenciaga was a logistical nightmare - that happens a lot - and clearly, they didn't do their jobs right if they couldn't reconcile their commercial aims with the artistic needs of their head designer. However, designer can't come to terms with the fact that fashion is really a business, and that as the marquee designer at a brand he is essentially a show pony meant to drive sales = Old Story. I bet that he wishes that he had been born 50 years earlier, or before the day of the license.

That's not what natty means...

Also, Good Eats has been one of my favorites forever, and I think Alton Brown is amazing on everything else he does, but reading that just totally flipped my world upside down :uhoh:

WHY ALTON WHY.  YOU HAVE SO MANY AMAZING THINGS TO SAY ABOUT FOOD; WHY DO YOU SOUND LIKE THE SAME #MENSWEAR DRIVEL BEING SPEWED OUT FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS.

The answer is simple - he seems to have learned everything from a few retailers. Retailers are not the most imaginative people, by and large. They are usually good trend followers. Wierdly enough, Styleforum is one of the few places where you can get a balanced perspective on things, because it is a community, with a lot of voices representing different points of view. We don't push any particular agenda, and we let the community decide its interests.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

However, designer can't come to terms with the fact that fashion is really a business, and that as the marquee designer at a brand he is essentially a show pony meant to drive sales = Old Story. I bet that he wishes that he had been born 50 years earlier, or before the day of the license.

This was the first question/answer in that interview actually

At what point into the job at Balenciaga did you realise you needed to wise up to the business side of the brand?

NG: Straight away. It’s part of being a creative because the vision you have ends up in the stores. It actually makes me smile today when I think about it because it was me who had to invent the concept of being commercial at Balenciaga. Right from the start I wanted it to be commercial, but the first group who owned the house didn’t have the first notion of commerce; there was no production team. There was nothing.

Not sure what to make of that exactly. Could be he's exaggerating. I mean, really, no production team? But who knows.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the link MOK. Will try to figure out how to play it here in the US. I love Parkinson's work -- nice combination of whimsy and glamour.

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Which cobbler did you use? Need to get some boots vibramed and if they can do that then I feel pretty safe going to them.

I went to Benjamin's on the Row at 8th & Walnut, which I take it is a little off the beaten path for you. They're hella slow - most of the guy's time is spent doing work is for local theater companies - but I've been happy with everything they've done.

Last edited:

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool pix Parker!

that tattoo is just goofy... :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads