• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just sounds like hypocrisy. don't know if there's a more specific term. probably is. there always is.

for the record, not hating on the alden thread. i think the forum is mostly insular mini-communities that all of us belong to. i'm sure people look at the geller thread, for instance, and have the same reaction i described above. we're all just lice-munching gorillas in the conceptual forest
00ae.png

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rft: I actually really like the stupid heel stabilizer on my visvims. Really comfortable and I really like them.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
that feelign when you're invited at the last minute to talk to a big meeting of university higher ups and you're wearing a overzied cardi, a slutty t and geller lounge pants.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone else kind of put off by all the ******* kids with guns in that video? he's like A$AP KONY

Last edited:

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have a recommendation? I have the Leopold Bros in my liquor cabinet, but I would love to try the Pacific sometime.

I dont drink absinthe often, but I currently have a bottle of Blanchette and its pretty good.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure stevent, horse butt is amazing. And in all fairness to Alden they make (some) nice stuff.

But there’s just something unsettling about the place. The thread. I don’t know how to put it, it’s almost pervy. For some reason I imagine most regulars being stodgy types who work in finance. Employment at an investment firm or bank feels prerequisite to really be like a true member of the Alden Thread. One, the income it demands, but I’m pretty sure most of the wyw shots come from the MC side, men taking a break to post a flashed out image of a longwing or nst and always working the maximal amount of argyle into the frame. I would not be surprised if most of their socks were attached to garters. Don’t ask me why I just find that repellent. One guy always puts his shoes up against a mirror in the shot. I have no idea if this is the uncle guy, but it’s completely excessive and not unlike somebody whose life’s nexus is their shoe collection. I’m pretty sure the mirror is not full length and he just tucks it away in a drawer somewhere when he’s done.

And then there’s the uncle thing. Obviously you really work your way into the inner circles of the thread via veneration of McArthur or whoever’s Alden collection. He seems to hold something of a total cordovan eclipse over any dissenting voice about QC or inflated price points. Nobody acknowledges the QC issues because it harshes the mellow in the place. Sand in the vaseline sort of thing. You can continue the metaphor from there. But what else could you expect; this is their hobby. Mention ‘ravello’ and everyone gets extremely excited.

Could just be me, but you gotta expect the guys on the thread, the ones holding up the nephew part of that uncle correspondence, you got to imagine they don’t get too much attention from girls. Could just be me tho.

What I can’t figure out is if these guys are like this because of Alden, or if say people crazy about AE are the same. Is there some kind of intrinsic aesthetic to Alden, some kind of white collar New England thing I’m missing that strikes a chord with these guys and brings out this weird fascination with the brand.

You care way too much about this topic

You win

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my luggage back to me. Had way more **** in there that I cared about than I had originally thought. But really, I'm just happy to have my sonicare back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads