1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

And it's worth pointing out the in many other parts of the the US, Mormons are essentially an oppressed class.

I like that, "Oppression Olympics". I'm not disregarding anything or anyone except for a bunch of self-righteous, self-congratulatory, crusaders who live in some of the safest bubbles in the world. That last sentence is something you'd like to be true, but is clearly not.

2. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

I hope you realize that your views are marginalized for the same reason minority groups' views are marginalized: you're the other in the equation.

3. LA Guy

The bolded part is pretty telling. If you've ever lived in the Bible belt, or know anything about it, you'd probably realize that being black is not, by far, the worse thing, though being black anywhere in American is not ideal. The Catholics, who are seen as heretics and idolators and papists of the worst sort, are considerably more marginalized, in many communties. Mormons used to be on the same level as Catholics, Satanists, and Scientologists, but they seem to have made some decent inroads.

4. LA Guy

So, I actually thought that you might be?

5. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Thanks for that! Always nice to learn something new. My knowledge of the conflicts of various religious factions in America is indeed lacking.

6. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I only consumed alcohol at the trunk show, which is generally speaking in keeping with a vegetarian diet.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

This doesn't ring true to me. Of course now we're getting into the "who's more oppressed" bullshit that we all love to hate, but (just to name one example) I don't see many Catholics afraid of being fucked over, beaten, or killed by the police in situations where standard white dudes just get sympathetic treatment. Whereas for blacks this is a very real threat.

8 people like this.
  8. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

@brad-t

The frog lived down in a well where there was all he had to live. One day, a softshelled turtle came by and told him about the sea. 'The sea? Hah! It's paradise in here. Nothing can be better than this well. Why don't you come down and share my joy?'

The turtle tried, and failed as the mouth of the well was too small. 'Why don't you go see the sea instead? During Yu the Great's reign, there was flooding for nine out of ten years, yet the sea barely grew an inch. During Tang of Shang's reign, droughts were experienced in seven out of eight years, yet the sea hardly shrank. Being unaffected by such disasters is the joy of living in the sea.'

By the way, my well is not far off from yours. Drop by and say hello sometime :foo:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  9. LA Guy

Again, this depends on the metric you use and what standards you apply. Most Catholics are physically indistinguishable from the average protestant, so no, a cop is not going to pull you over for being a Papist. However, in many Evangelical sects, interracial marriages are increasingly common, while marrying a Catholic, you may as well be consigning your soul over the devil, for sale by Luxeswap.

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Few things compare to the trauma of me having to read this allegory comparing blacks and Catholics to frogs and turtles.

8 people like this.
  11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dude..Alabama didn't official repeal its law banning black-white marriages until the year 2000. They did a referendum on it. 40% of people voted against repealing the law:

http://ballotpedia.org/Alabama_Interracial_Marriage,_Amendment_2_(2000)

2 people like this.
  12. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek.

13. LA Guy

I don't know anything about Alabama, but I do know about the deep distrust for Catholics and Mormons among protestant churches in the south. Incidentally, I never said that the South (or anywhere) was a great place to be black. It's certainly something that you can't hide (easily).

I suppose that it comes down to a very real debate about whether mortification of the body or the spirit is a worse thing.

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I figured you'd be able to come up with an allegory comparing my trauma to the experience of a talking wombat and a singing wallaby, which is why I smartly said "few things," rather than "nothing.

15. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

...i don't think you understood the allegory.

1 person likes this.
  16. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

[​IMG]

20 people like this.
  17. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Nice horse gif, what does it mean??

18. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

horse moonwalks in front of emohorse. neigh.

3 people like this.
  19. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Btw I think it was this thread we were having travel chat to awful places, just cancelled my trip to Myanmar :( (not saying Myanmar is an awful place) Everything is expensive as hell over the New Years and there's no way to do things without money going to the government. I'd love to see Bagan but I'll wait until the government gets their act together. Not somewhere I wanna spend two weeks at the moment. So going to Thailand, boring choice but whatever, been there four times and never been out of the central region, anyone there over New Years?

20. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

I just felt like we needed a non sequitur at this point in today's conversation(s).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.