• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Putting the item's stylishness in the only context that actually matters - the owner and wearer himself?

Yeah I'm less into style than into awesome pieces of clothing. I'm more into the piece in a vacuum than in any sort of context involving me. So the "baller" threads are key to my consumption both in a consumer sense and a styleforum sense. But I'm the outlier here I'm sure.

Fundamentally I'm here to find new **** to blow money on and because this place is a source of amusement :)

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well guys I just saw Holy Motors and ****.

Also fwiw I'm with Teger on the thumbs thing. It's funny and it was cute for a while to have little jokes in the thumb comments, but I think people are abusing it. It's moving content / discussion away from posts. Not only that, but it's a terrible system for determining how good an outfit is. I swear I get like 10 more thumbs than normal whenever I wear my NiCo boots or ToJ DR.

RFT: Sometimes I wear a cool outfit that doesn't photograph well for whatever reason and that makes me kinda sad. Wanna share some **** with you guys.

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fashion aspiration is just another demonstration of the metonymy of desire. :foo:

Edit: this is not a serious post. (Damn this happens a lot.)

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife does this incredible Gang's of New York villain thing way better than do I. I think that it's because she has a great face (hearl shaped) for hats. Her daily wear are APCs with Trickers Ghillies, an amazing Margiela mainline coat (raw cut silk chiffon over tweed), and a black Eugenia kim cap.

djt00

Reaction score
I pretty much keep wearing the same uniform as well. I've been stuck with this derbys, trousers and shirts for a quite some time and looking something fresh. Wearing the same clothes feels comfortable, but eventually gets boring. Maybe should try some nice sweatshirts / knits / velcro hi-tops.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I think teger just has a problem with reedo and stanley, I don't buy the whole I can't give you any examples bullshit.

Also, while interesting to read sometimes, lots of critical analysis is too much work to read through and that's not the primary reason I come to this forum.

DividedWay

Reaction score
This matches up pretty well with my recent purchases/ wears. I'm a little behind the SF hype cycle, and am basically wearing slightly long black light pants during the summer, and a pair of 17 oz samurai's during the winter- accompanied by boots or shoes. I have 8 items of clothing beyond white shirts, and I'm basically content. I can wear things in almost any weather, I look good in most/ all of it, and while I love buying more stuff, I don't really need to at this point.

It also helps that I'm a poor college student.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teger has a problem with anyone who is new, reedo is just easy target status

It's pretty well established haha

Old SF was shite, I can remember getting flamed because I was saying the W+H tees were really good, people were raving about banana republic and j crew and jerking over photo's of Daiki

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Teger has a problem with anyone who is new, reedo is just easy target status
It's pretty well established haha

Yeah this probably has something to do with it, but most people who get caught up in hype and buying/selling a lot of clothes get some **** for it. I'm sure everyone remembers Kvc, he just didn't stick around and take it like reedo has. At least reedo is a good sport about it.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost never post my recent purchases. I posted after the Patrik Ervell sample sale because I wanted to let people know what was there, other than that I can't remember the last time I posted a recent purchase. If I want to floss I post in WAYWT.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like it's a good time to post this quote again:

"As for Clothing, to come at once to the practical part of the question, perhaps we are led oftener by the love of novelty, and a regard for the opinions of men, in procuring it, than by true utility." -Thoreau, 1854

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to find a mid layer that i'm as happy with my my eg parka. i like my bedford, but it's a little too big on me :( and i'm not a huge fan of the color (too dark). someone trade for an xs eg jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads