• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
someone pls tell me who the eff this is.

tumblr_l8t5seBk0z1qdtfdbo1_250.gif

someone who decided to do everything that lil kim did , to the T, but gets marketed as the new generation of female rap artist.

pls don't ask me now to tell you who lil kim is. there is google :teach:

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not really random thoughts but damn, feeling a bit down cause I won't be able to order a TOJ now or ever (?). :violin:

Best of luck to Drew's new ventures, but hope he gets back into this eventually .

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
He is getting back into clothes. That's all been confirmed. Just not MTM and not the same items.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i just started watching imaginarium of dr parnassus (is good?). i am compelled to check out more geoffrey b small ....

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The past couple pages made me think of Giacomo Balla, an Italian Futurist who wrote an essay called "The Futurist Manifesto of Men's Clothing" 1913.

"WE MUST DESTROY ALL PASSÉIST CLOTHES, and everything about them which is tight-fitting, colourless, funereal, decadent, boring and unhygienic."

"WE MUST INVENT FUTURIST CLOTHES, hap-hap-hap-hap-happy clothes, daring clothes with brilliant colours and dynamic lines."

I agree about the 101 features. If they have to exist, and I accept that they can, and that they can be helpful, it seems better to make it a part of the "Men's clothing" subforum (a title that I hate; apparently I'm not a man?). I don't want that to represent me, and I don't want MC to be the driving force of the forum.

Maybe MC should be relabeled "traditional tailored clothing" or something.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
^ excellent !

Maybe MC should be relabeled "traditional tailored clothing" or something.

it should also be noted that by traditional what is meant is something that falls in the 1950s definition of successful white upper-middle class male. i hardly see enough morning coats or top hats in that zoo to call it traditional by my antiquated standards :foo:

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He is getting back into clothes. That's all been confirmed. Just not MTM and not the same items.

:inlove: but the mtm is one of the best parts about it especially for the price point. Definitely looking forward to new designs though hopefully still leather

i just started watching imaginarium of dr parnassus (is good?). i am compelled to check out more geoffrey b small ....

how are the two related? Geoffrey b smalls designed the clothing set?

random : One thing that bothers me still is that he collects vintage/ antique buttons and sometimes throws em onto his blazer resulting in uneven/not matching buttons. I want to like it but i can't... fck ocd

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went and had some dinner and drinks and find this whole discussion happened without me! Just for the record, I don't think clothes should always be judged by what's wearable and what sells. I just meant when some abstract idea takes so much precedence over the actual qualities of a piece of clothing I lose interest. It becomes boring to me. I think it's harder to make something that is intellectually and aesthetically pleasing, and the art I like best, whatever the medium, takes both into account.

That said, I think it's totally valid to make a piece of clothing designed deliberately to ignore the idea that clothes should make you look better. It just doesn't really interest me (I don't think all CdG does that, by the way). I can look at it and get it, but I don't come back to it after that. I want something I can't get out of my head and enjoy going back to over and over. Maybe I'll write a more thought-out response when I have a real keyboard to type on and not just a touch screen, assuming the convo is still going on anyway.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

how are the two related? Geoffrey b smalls designed the clothing set?

random : One thing that bothers me still is that he collects vintage/ antique buttons and sometimes throws em onto his blazer resulting in uneven/not matching buttons. I want to like it but i can't... fck ocd

well have you seen the collections ? some are quite dickensian ...

as for the mismatching, i am drawn to it even more. a perversion of classic tailoring. un-formal attire ! although i was just seeing an article in vogue from several decades ago about this hah

Went and had some dinner and drinks and find this whole discussion happened without me! Just for the record, I don't think clothes should always be judged by what's wearable and what sells. I just meant when some abstract idea takes so much precedence over the actual qualities of a piece of clothing I lose interest. It becomes boring to me. I think it's harder to make something that is intellectually and aesthetically pleasing, and the art I like best, whatever the medium, takes both into account.

That said, I think it's totally valid to make a piece of clothing designed deliberately to ignore the idea that clothes should make you look better. It just doesn't really interest me (I don't think all CdG does that, by the way). I can look at it and get it, but I don't come back to it after that. I want something I can't get out of my head and enjoy going back to over and over. Maybe I'll write a more thought-out response when I have a real keyboard to type on and not just a touch screen, assuming the convo is still going on anyway.

write it anyway whenever that may be.

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never get the size I ordered; it's almost like they grow en route.
Sipang, I think one aspect of the overarching issue you brought up is that the higher-level content tends to come from videos and publications. They get posted, or at least linked, and the reaction is "cool"/"awesome"/"where to kop [floral codpiece]?" and then everybody moves on. The appreciation of that material probably happens on a wider scale than you are acknowledging (or maybe I'm just being optimistic for once) but the digestion doesn't happen out in the open. When I've seen something really interesting that somebody's posted there isn't always that much of substance to say in response; frequently it's a thumbs-up and I bookmark it and, again, move on to something else.

That's a good point, and I mean I don't expect each article or picture to spark off pages-long ruminations either, as you said somtimes there's just nothing interesting to add. I guess in the grand scheme or things it's more about exposure, people don't necessary venture outside the forum to seek out stuff they don't know about but that doesn't necessarily mean there's no interest (as the "technical outerwear" thread has shown). I don't consider myself an arbiter of what's good or whatever but I've got a shitload of stuff that I like bookmarked etc so I figure I might as well share and raise awareness (!). The way sw&d is organized will probably always keep fashion talk pretty constrained but, despite all my whining, it's definitely been picking up this last year so who knows..;

Lane, I am not sure how The SoloIst is NOT wearable. It's actually probably one of the best fusions between wearable streetwear and fashion as art.
tumblr_m2bkfmkaR21qbblino2_1280.jpg
What isn't wearable about this?
Sipang, I largely agree with what you're saying there. I guess I'm not even sure where I would go to talk about things like that, here.

High-fashion thread would work :)

Last edited:

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone girl just asked me if my sandals were tavas wtf is that

also, **** my state. can't get any vermouth now because of the liquor law transition. :fu:

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're having some copyright issues with that shoe.

Here are the authentics:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads