• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I don't think you intended to come off that way, but the whole "i am he who judges who will look good in toj and not" is funny
biggrin.gif
and I think if anyone is going to look good, it wouldn't be biscotti who looks like he's dressing for halloween and also can we stop with the ridiculous generalized fashion pronouncements? sometime people forget that we all live and breathe in the real world

Originally Posted by wagthesam
I know what kelvinsense means. I am still developing my style (non sartorial style, ie haircut, build) and I'm currently in school mode where I don't give a **** about any of that, just need to do well in my classes. Hopefully I'll have more swagger during my work term. I think I can pull it off, as long as it fits. Speaking of fit, I'm getting mine as soon as my girl picks it up in an hour. I'm going to be very sad if it doesn't fit.
I'm not sure how I could have worded it differently, it's just like any other comment along the lines of "I think that looks good on you / I don't think this piece goes well in your outfit / etc. " I can't see that piece being integrated well in wag's fits as they are but if he sees himself going in that direction I hope he starts to get really comfortable with it. I encourage pushing boundaries and developing style, but that's a pretty big / drastic purchase. FWIW, I probably don't like Biscotti anymore than you do but it looked good on him.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
If you like your entire wardrobe, you probably haven't found something to really love.

I encourage impulse buys, and especially at retail. On sale, sometimes you get sucked in by the imagined savings. But at retail, it means that some piece just really caught your eye, looked great on, and you unless it's going to land you in debt or otherwise cause you financial stress, it's something you will regret not getting.

I should have bought the Junya cord jacket/reversable vest combo I saw a few weeks back. I got sticker shock but have continued to think about it. It was brutally expensive but I only needed one of them, not fifteen.

I called about it over lunch and it was gone.

I picked up a few things lately at full retail. I am getting sick of picking through leftovers and ebay throwbacks, although I am not swearing those off entirely. I tried to time the sales in the past, but other people are better at that than I am. I lost out on some good items because I was hoping that they would survive until sales time. Didn't happen.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I get really thorough when I like a piece.

for my ervell cardi:

- e-mailed ervell and asked who had it in which colours
- visited most of the stockists to try it on, etc.
- turns out only two stores had it in LA in my color, which means two smalls avail. I didn't want to risk having it sold out so I just bought it. Waiting for sale would have saved $160 or so. You just have to figure if its worth the risk.

Being that thorough really allows you to figure if you need to cop something at retail or if there's a reasonable chance it'll hit sale. (i've never had a problem finding band shirts on sale, etc.)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
Being that thorough really allows you to figure if you need to cop something at retail or if there's a reasonable chance it'll hit sale

Depends when you see the piece. If I see it on a Thursday in December, and the markdowns are the next day, I would wait. If I see the piece in October, I'd probably get it then and there. I want to use that piece, and it is worth retail to me to be able to wear it October and November and additionally and to not have to stalk the stupid thing until sales. If a piece is prohibitively expensive, that's a different matter.

JaPo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by connor
arms akimbo is gonna look like a goober

Gotta agree with you, guy's got zero swagger and poses like a virgin.

But damn, you talk a hella lot of trash, considering.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Atsui's contact info changed on their "under maintenance" placeholder... Guess they're moving closer to reopening
=== For Contact === Blue Owl Showroom/Office: 343 112th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98004 206-849-6500 [email protected] Please contact us with general questions about our products, store policies, and any general comments. We appreciate advice on improvements you think we can make and about products you would like us carry in the future. Your comments will help us serve you better. Best regards, Blue Owl.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Honestly, H&M is the ****. If you don't dismiss it for the mass of crap it puts out, you'll catch some great bargains, and the returns policy makes it a no-brainer.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
TOJ makes more than just the Double Rider.
redface.gif
...PinkPantser would look ******* amazing in a brown TOJ Bomber with fur (maybe it is I who judges who looks good in TOJ?)

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ agree on the PP statement. It seems like a lot of people are ordering the DR because that thing is sexy as ****.

I personally cant wait for the tailored clothing / accessories.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanna see TOJ OTR present in selected Tokyo shops this coming spring.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The different jackets I make all just get popular at different times, so far at least. The Bomber was off to a slow start and has actually been blowing up lately, and I think aqhong's fit pictures are gonna bring the Moto up to the top. The Moto actually hasn't been very popular but I think people will change their minds; BrianSD is getting his very soon as well. Photos only tell half of the story though.

I have been so busy I haven't even made my own, super mega custom TOJ leather for myself yet. I plan to, though.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asobu
I wanna see TOJ OTR present in selected Tokyo shops this coming spring.

There's a man I am talking to in a week or so who wants to help me make it happen. I don't know if it will be Spring of next year but we won't get too old waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads