• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BB1- my recommendation is that you actually complete those thoughts before trying to spark an argument ('discussion') on here. Your thoughts do often seem incomplete despite your comments being so long-winded. Additionally, they're often laced with hypocrisy. For instance, the other day, you said:
Here, you criticize the ToJ fans for treating Drew like a 'near deity' just after you claim omniscience regarding their intentions. Maybe if they buy 14 ToJs, you'll know they really meant to buy that first one.

Many product marketers attempt to guess people's intentions. Guessing such things is not a claim of omniscience, rather it is a starting point to explore. But if I am to hear you correctly, discussing such hunches if off limits in polite society.

As far as drew being like a deity, well he is the TOJ god! He even occasionally enjoys wielding his power by declaring that someone is "banned for life" from buying a TOJ. That's a life sentence. The deity statement was not meant as in insult, but rather illustration of the strong emotional component among his customers. Kudos for him for successfully attracting such a huge following.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those girls are ugly.

Tarsem made the Immortals into an enjoyable romp. Zeus had the best cape/cloak/dress-hybrid.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
you are so passive aggressive about your disdain for toj and you are guilty of doing the same thing you criticize others of doing. i don't know how i can simplify hypocrisy and irony further for you, but well...

Last edited:

Aeneas

Reaction score
Any recommendations for an alternative to the Uniqlo +J Premium Wool Parka, it is now completely sold out...

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I no longer find the drama entertaining - just tireless. Can it stop now? It's clearly getting no where.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:lookaround: :facepalm: :cry: :plain:
Shahs of Sunset
shahs-of-sunset-cast-600-500-01-17-12.jpg

As anticipation mounts for the premiere of Bravo’s new reality show “Shahs of Sunset“,
curious fans of the network — which serves as home to the “Real Housewives” franchise —
are getting their first look at the cast in a newly-released photo.
The show follows a group of young Persian-American friends who sport chromed-out cars,
logo-ridden purses and designer outfits, juggling living and working in Los Angeles while
balancing the demands of their families and traditions.

:censored: :crazy: :sneaky2: :brick:
:fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

Jet got a TV show?

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Looks like a semi-upscale jersey shore. I am glad I only have to worry about these kind of shows happening on Telemundo/Univision, which no one watches anyways

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the issue at hand is that your reasons are always subjective (read: too heavily opinionated to be taken seriously) and not realistic. your observations are so incredibly opinionated that you cannot view anything objectively. [....]

You mistake my assumed role of instigator as not being objective. It is no different than expecting an attorney to behave objectively in the courtroom as if he should argue for the opposing side. But internally I have considered everything you (and others) have said without quickly dismissing it. If the opposing arguments are good, I will often eventually adjust my external opinion. But when I do so, invariably everyone here screams "hypocrite!"

As far as me being grounded in reality, externalizing similar thought processes have served me well in business. But I have worked alongside so many other people who behave and speak like they're the voice of reason (cue objective sounding NPR announcer voice), yet when you ask them to design something unique or come up with new ideas they're largely incapable. Most of my ideas start out kind of wobbly but by discussing the ideas with others who are open to pondering something that's still ill defined, I've often been successful at making sellable products. It's just the way my mind works and it has served me well financially.

Yes, I am annoyed by the whole TOJ fanboy-ism, but it's no different from me being turned off by the hype surrounding Apple. But I truly do feel an affinity for drew after reading his writings and I wish him success. Funny how he has so many Apple products in his house. My wife has does have a MacBook though.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
got a chester barrie suit off B&S.

very nice. wearing a trim english made with high armholes and slim arms is.. interesting. it almost feels 'too tight', even though i know its not. i guess i'm so used to horribly boxy american clothes.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just spilled some chinese sauce w/e onto the hem of my trousers and I'm still in the office (client + rep seminar)

what to do?? going to have to go to dry cleaner and get this cleaned??

:fu:

Had to carry all the food to 2nd floor and the box was leaking!
Also dripped all over my left shoe

(0)

Last edited:

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I am annoyed by the whole TOJ fanboy-ism

I think this is is what it is ultimately all about. You find it annoying, which is an emotional reaction. That is okay. I get annoyed by all sorts of things for reasons I can't quantify.

Just acknowledge that it bothers you and accept the limitations of trying to justify that rationally.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Just spilled some chinese sauce w/e onto the hem of my trousers and I'm still in the office (client + rep seminar)

what to do?? going to have to go to dry cleaner and get this cleaned??

:fu:

Had to carry all the food to 2nd floor and the box was leaking!
Also dripped all over my left shoe

(0)

If you're sitting at a desk nobody will know you've taken them off to dab into some water. Quick, throw salt on it. And get club soda. Xlearly this meeting is useless if you telling us about your left shoe.

Or you can get some trousers from me ;)

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I no longer find the drama entertaining - just tireless. Can it stop now? It's clearly getting no where.

The traditional networks (and common cable channels) are increasingly filled with overly crass garbage designed to cater to the lowest common denominator-- a group that appears to be expanding in the US and increasingly has little in common with the people outside of the group. Last time I tried watching ABC I felt as if I could not relate to what I was seeing. It was a nauseating experience similar to entering a McDonnald's.

Likewise most popular movies appear to be designed to appeal to a 13-year old kid. Yet both adults and children appear to equally enjoy these movies.

I still have standard TV service myself, but I find I increasingly only watch the programs on channels like HBO and Showtime. And when I ask some of my SWPL friends about this they proudly proclaim "I don't have a TV!" And then they give me **** for still subscribing. Yet that's sorta misleading since they all have TVs with a DVD players hooked to it. But the point is that they don't watch the same popular TV programs as the proles which they despise.

This growing divide between people is not a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads