Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

If you're sitting at a desk nobody will know you've taken them off to dab into some water. Quick, throw salt on it. And get club soda. Xlearly this meeting is useless if you telling us about your left shoe.

Or you can get some trousers from me ;)

2. BB1

BB1 Senior member

The traditional networks (and common cable channels) are increasingly filled with overly crass garbage designed to cater to the lowest common denominator-- a group that appears to be expanding in the US and increasingly has little in common with the people outside of the group. Last time I tried watching ABC I felt as if I could not relate to what I was seeing. It was a nauseating experience similar to entering a McDonnald's.

Likewise most popular movies appear to be designed to appeal to a 13-year old kid. Yet both adults and children appear to equally enjoy these movies.

I still have standard TV service myself, but I find I increasingly only watch the programs on channels like HBO and Showtime. And when I ask some of my SWPL friends about this they proudly proclaim "I don't have a TV!" And then they give me shit for still subscribing. Yet that's sorta misleading since they all have TVs with a DVD players hooked to it. But the point is that they don't watch the same popular TV programs as the proles which they despise.

This growing divide between people is not a good thing.

3. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

x2 :embar:

4. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Assuming they're wool trousers, this should do the trick. Wool is so much easier to spot clean than cotton (useless anecdote-- spilled half a glass of champagne on the blazer I was wearing during new years, and napkins wiped that ish riiight off)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

5. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I'm sure you dress well, but you absolutely fail at capturing the american zeitgeist. ugh

6. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I disagree. There is something to be learned from TOJ and Apple popularity, and it goes far deeper than simply saying "the products are good and people like it."

I find it interesting how there is frequently such a huge gap between a product marketer's description of why people buy a specific item vs. what the average person will claim is their reason when asked. Reading Edward Bernays work provides a good starting point.

7. the shah

Re: BB1, you guys won't win. you'll never win. His algorithm is far more advanced than the T-1000 you defeated some time ago. Resistance...there's no point. All your base are BB1elong to us

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

by "drama" he meant you, man

9. sipang

sipang Senior member

game, set, match

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

11. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I've never read that particular book, but I'll take a look at it. He appears to be attempting to argue that TV, video games, Internet, etc are making us smarter as compared to what was available to previous generations. While the author's assertion could likely be true, it doesn't really explain the growing cultural gap between coastal elites vs. the poor in America that I was getting at.

We may be getting smarter, but what does it say about us if the popular entertainment for even adults is Twilight movies and The Real Housewives series? Do these seem like shows that smart people would enjoy watching? And what does it say if a growing portion of society (e.g. coastal elites, SWPL people, etc) reject that stuff as prole trash?

From looking more closely I see the author is just some guy from the New York Times. He provides no evidence that TV actually makes you smarter, outside of his skillful writing. Do you really believe watching the most popular TV shows makes you smarter???

12. the shah

this pic on UPS site needs re-captioning:

[COLOR=87421F]What can brown do for you ?[/COLOR]

[​IMG]

13. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

she's smiling like that because she's listening to a particularly raunchy voicemail I left her

14. the shah

:cry:

i rather think she's laughing about this (still)

15. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

hahaha i saw that earlier, that's terrible :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.