• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tween why u no revive DIY thread? I just dumped my sneakers into the washing machine with a pair of NF. Curious how they will turn out

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuckin' leather shoe lace on my nearly new boots just broke. Can still try the shoe, but still, WTF!

:fu:

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

APK, if it's selvedge and you don't wanna **** with that you should ask to taper the inseam, not the out seam. other than that, just make sure he pins it and it looks the way you want.

Be aware that pinning is often misleading, so make sure you can move and are comfortable when she pins it. You'll find that often your stuff will be tighter than what was pinned. I think this is due to the fact that you have more leeway when it's pinned, so it doesn't feel as tight, but when it is altered, the seam doesn't give much. Make sure you tell her everything you can think of, **** like selvedge, whatever, most mistakes come from not telling them and they assume stuff (e.g. if you don't want it ironed, tell them).

Thanks, guys. It's actually just an inexpensive pair of jeans that became my go-to because they're so nicely broken in. So even in a worst-case scenario, I wouldn't be out hundreds of dollars. I figured I should ask, anyway.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, just in general when working with a tailor you gotta tell them everything. And seriously, I mean everything. People like us are the worst types of people (picky wah wah clothes kids) for tailors and cobblers to deal with. My mom once had a customer basically freak out and scream at her when she had to remove a ******* inside J. Crew tag to do an alteration to the waistline or somethin and misplaced the tag. This was about 10 or so years ago and she ended up going out to j crew and buy a pair of pants to get the tag off.

Once I had a cobbler polish and shine my alden nubuck boots cause he's a friend of my mom, and he thought that was a nice thing to do. I was annoyed since he basically changed the entire look of the shoe but I didn't really care much. He still works on my boots and stuff for like 50% off but now he knows to just do what I ask him and no more nice things!

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
All I do lately is post about **** I almost got or should get. I need to stop that and just make a cop list to have on hand. Or just get creative with what I do have. There's always one extra thing I want though when I do that...

tween why u no revive DIY thread? I just dumped my sneakers into the washing machine with a pair of NF. Curious how they will turn out

I have some ideas in my head but they all involve things at my parent's place since I don't have much with me here. maybe around Christmas I'll get something going in between snowboarding.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When finals are over I'll post a DIY coyote fur collar for my dr i'm doing in that thread so hang tight!!!!!

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I'm going to get a pair of jeans tapered, is there anything in particular I should tell the tailor besides the desired amount of tapering? I don't wanna end up with reedojeans.
Keep in mind that I live in an area where a tailor seemed confused when I asked if she could slim the bodies of some button-down shirts I had.

if you get your jeans hemmed, ask the tailor not to cut anything until you are satisfied with the fit. let him do the taper, but not slice any of the inside off in case you hate the fit - that way he can always go back to normal....learned that the hard way with an expensive pair of nudies (entry-level!) years ago...

ps i love WvB's outfit. would wear that whole getup right now...i mean, like, out on a saturday night or something...

also, a good tailor can can fold and sew it quick and dirty-like right on the spot for you to see if you like the fit. hell but a lengthwise fold/crease in the legs, take his machine to it and stitch it up. toss it to you to try it on and see if you approve - itll be tighter than it would be in the end, but you should get a good idea. just make sure you have a good tailor! i find the crazier they are the better!

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
PK needs to visit Ali in d-bo , bdeuce22recommends him

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

APK needs to visit Ali in d-bo , bdeuce22recommends him

he should visit my insane armenian tailor. most misogynistic and racist dude i know. thinks the world originated in armenia, all language is from there. talks **** and lectures all his customers. does great work though. likes me and my bro cuz we resemble good "Caucasoids"....nice guy, though!

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

he should visit my insane armenian tailor. most misogynistic and racist dude i know. thinks the world originated in armenia, all language is from there. talks **** and lectures all his customers. does great work though. likes me and my bro cuz we resemble good "Caucasoids"....nice guy, though!

haha i was offering a location he could get to in less than 3 days driving. just dont ever tell your tailor you like anything turkish ... ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads