• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

once i put anything on, no matter how much significance it had to me prior to owning it, this feeling always slowly dissipates. I think someone (forgot who) once said it best that buying the item is where the most satisfaction is derived.

The satisfaction lies in the chase?
Sure. I mean, honestly, the best way to describe many of us is "fashion junkie", not fan, junkie. I suppose that in MC, most guys would rather cop to being "style" junkies.

For me, it's more exciting to know that a piece is exactly what I had hoped, and that I'll wear it often and for a long time. There is a danger in allowing a piece of clothing to attain almost mythical status in my mind, because not much would actually live up to it. The actual purchasing is the hard part for me (especially when pushing a grand), but I actually had the opportunity to see in person some garments I've been interested in for a long time. So, I thought I should take advantage of the moment.

I have to say, it was strange to actually set foot in a shop that carries Cabourn. It's been a few years since I've been on the east coast.
Is there a specific piece that let you down more than usual, or just generally? I've been thinking about the same Cameraman you have for probably close to two years now, and still have not pulled the trigger. Probably wouldn't fit anyway, I'm ill-proportioned (sup hendrix).

I'm whining a bit about the Mallory jacket that I finally picked up. The jacket itself is exceptional, but it is a bit of an odd fit- perfect in the shoulders, but large in the body. But, I think with some tailoring, it should be great. The body of the jacket is a bit long, but I have to remind myself that it's more of a short coat than a suit jacket, if that makes sense. I think the Cameraman is a fairly forgiving jacket unless, say, you have short arms for your body, or something along those lines.

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://dale.no/us/collection/sweaters-jackets/men/wool/

look at the word to "buy" in the middle.

...if youre too lazy to click the link its "kjop" ...i first heard the word "kop" in a fabolous(rapper) song from his first cd. thought it was some slang, but does the word "kop" actually derive from another language?

Last edited:

acl1

Reaction score
^ I dunno, there's always a period after owning your grail for a while and it starts to lose its appeal, and then you start moving onto future grails that will always, always come up. But ime there's always a later period when you havent thought about your previous grails and start wearing them again that you start to re-appreciate their little details and how awesome they really are.

[@ zissou]

Last edited:

BlackToothedGrin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that I enjoy my nice clothes more the longer I have them. Sure, I still want more things, but so does everyone, but I find that as long as my clothes fit (I bought several things that were too small when starting out), the longer they sit in the closet the more I appreciate the materials, the better I become at pairing them with other items, and the more they become me.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am pretty emotionless when it comes to buying clothes now, just way too many clothes that I see on a daily basis. It would take some magical leather jacket to impress me. CCP looks cheap as **** to me, I go into Lift Etage and I ask Mrs TOJ to guess the price based on what she knows of leather jackets on her own, and she guesses about $2,000 (which means like $1,200 RRP outside of Japan)

Meanwhile, when I bought that MMM 5-zip, it wasn't really the biggest thing at all. I was just like 'hm, I have a leather jacket now' - little did I know how much having a swaggy black leather jacket would change my life. :eek:

Last edited:

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't see clothes often, nor do I have the resources to access higher end stuff constantly. However, earlier this year it changed my perspective when I visited higher end boutiques. There is a huge distinction between judging items close up versus being behind a computer and conjuring idealized images of them. Its also why I was able to branch out some more as well since the stuff people perceive as strange/loud is actually quite wearable; unfortunately many aren't able to see it for themselves and might be robbing themselves of opportunity because of preconceptions.

However, on the flip side..

everytime I visit Atelier I'm always dumbfounded by the prices of the CCP/MA items. I mean, I know I spend a ludicrous amount on clothing. However, this is a whole nother level...$1600 button up shirt, that wasn't so amazing. I tried a $800 white paul harden shirt that was barely special as well. Wasn't too impressed with CCP besides the bizarreness of the items, like having titanium randomly in the knuckles and elbow of the jacket. In the end it just looked like shiny plastic (i know kangaroo leather is thin but strong). Maybe, I'm just a plebe but I wouldn't care if that was simply the case anyways.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

I'm loving the new Nike x Gyakusou collection by Jun Takahashi but have a hard time paying such high prices for that kind of clothes (even though I run several times a week)...

i_00030.jpg

MG_0163.jpg

MG_0165.jpg

Coppin some of this when it comes out.

I don't know about you guys and maybe it's because I live in socal and can handle **** but all the grail pieces I've bought years ago I still love to this day. Nothing in recent years comes close.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ I dunno, there's always a period after owning your grail for a while and it starts to lose its appeal, and then you start moving onto future grails that will always, always come up. But ime there's always a later period when you havent thought about your previous grails and start wearing them again that you start to re-appreciate their little details and how awesome they really are.
[@ zissou]

+1

Feels good to pull out my leather jacket after a long winter.

miran

Reaction score

If serious, study econ/finance/business then get a job as an equity analyst.

I thought the point the Jewish guy was making was that it was econ/finance types that got Gap into this mess in the first place! Wouldn't he say to study fashion/fashion marketing/fashion sociloogy and become an equity analyst at the Gap?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought the point the Jewish guy was making was that it was econ/finance types that got Gap into this mess in the first place! Wouldn't he say to study fashion/fashion marketing/fashion sociloogy and become an equity analyst at the Gap?

Econ/finance types get a lot of businesses into trouble. While necessary, sound fiscal choices are not sufficient to making any business, much less a business that requires so much intuition, successful. The problem is that some companies lose site of their mission statement (they are actually useful) and let the bottom line dictate everything. This may work for a few quarters, but it will catch up with you. Sometimes, you have to leave money on the table because it's bad money.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This pretty sily, but I have an excuse for it, since I´m a not a native speaker, or from the states and I haven´t been in the forum for so long...
so, a prelude to my sort of dumb question: What does ccp stand for? I suppose you´re talking about a brand, and i´ve thought of acronyms for it, but none have to mind...

gats

Reaction score
Carol christian poell He makes cool clothes

Also don't know who this du is but no doubt my favourite ccp fitpic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads