• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLCAPS

Reaction score
Haha. I don't even think that the pictures are particularly interesting. The Sartorialist is a bit formulaeic. I'd rather look at Hel-looks, which although has a bunch of weird ****, at least shows me things I haven't seen before.

On an unrelated note, your avatar makes me e-swoon every time I see one of your posts.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
^There was an amusing bitchfest over on TSY the other day. I added my two cents.
What a ****** blog. It will be fun once those people realize that just because a photo is 40+ years old doesn't somehow make it more stylish. Recreate the exact same fit and a model with similar body type-hair but in a modern setting and no one would care whatsoever. It's just useless nostalgia. At least that black guy from the sartorialist looks good and knows how to put something together unlike i'm guessing most of the blog readership That picture of kirk douglas his hilarious as an example of looking good. In what universe is that good? Just because someone is a famous actor from the golden era doesn't mean they're inherently stylish. I see plenty of average people in a leather, jeans and white tees and they don't look like brando, they look like tools

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night, I was wearing my big new hat and someone said I looked like Run DMC. Another person said I looked Amish, and I responded with "You should see how fast I can raise a barn."

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Last night, I was wearing my big new hat and someone said I looked like Run DMC. Another person said I looked Amish, and I responded with "You should see how fast I can raise a barn."

Is that a butter churn in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALLCAPS
On an unrelated note, your avatar makes me e-swoon every time I see one of your posts.

You and me both, buddy.

Originally Posted by chronoaug
What a ****** blog. It will be fun once those people realize that just because a photo is 40+ years old doesn't somehow make it more stylish. Recreate the exact same fit and a model with similar body type-hair but in a modern setting and no one would care whatsoever. It's just useless nostalgia. At least that black guy from the sartorialist looks good and knows how to put something together unlike i'm guessing most of the blog readership

That picture of kirk douglas his hilarious as an example of looking good. In what universe is that good? Just because someone is a famous actor from the golden era doesn't mean they're inherently stylish. I see plenty of average people in a leather, jeans and white tees and they don't look like brando, they look like tools

I think the Kirk Douglas photo was meant to poke a little fun. I for one appreciate TSY for the collection of stories. I think very little of it is actually about the style of ones clothes. Sheesh- these days, nostalgia is one of the few things that keeps me going...

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the world of people who follow TheSartorialist a black dude who 1)dresses like an old kitchy european man and 2) does not scare me, is instantly a laudable fashionista.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Kirk douglas pic does look ******, but do you honestly think that the Sart guy got it right either? Definitly a case of "too much of a (possibly) good thing" imo.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
im lke 70% sure scott schuman has napoleon's complex

170%

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ziz, agree with your post on TSY; I can't remember the last time I read those asinine Sart comments.

EDIT: I am a friggin idiot and have been switching between threads too fast. Comment re SoCal WAYWT moved to appropriate thread.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
It's official. Women in Brooklyn have made the switch from flip-flops to Uggs. The annual rite of Fall has taken place.

How is the transition happening in your neck of the woods?

In Seattle women are transitioning from clunky shoes to other clunky shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads