• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even FF7 couldn't hold my interest. I'm bad at being a video game nerd.

Side note: There's this documentary on Netflix Instant called "Seamless" that might interest Cloak fans- it's about Alexandre Plokhov and some others competing in some Vogue-sponsored contest for young designers from 2005.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Totally OT, but...
ffffuuuu.gif

Oh damns. From someone obviously well-schooled in the wizardry of political correctness, isn't all this referring to 'dick measuring' a little, well, phallogocentrist? :p

Oh well. Interesting nonetheless.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lemme break this down ok?

Subcultures form when people who are interested in similar things create a group identity that helps them shape their personal identies. Every subculture is based around a specialized set of knowledge. This specialized knowledge distinguishes who is and is not part of the subculture, and provides the social currency (or capital) of the group.

The most important determining factor of a subculture is: how that social capital is used.

In the dickmeasure case, the capital is used to get things by virtue of one's membership in the group. This includes both tangible reward and the intangible feeling of "cool" one gains by virtue of one's superordinate place within the group. (Some groups give this feeling by virtue of their exclusivity, while other groups have this dynamic willfully established by those with large amounts of in-group social capital *cough*jet*cough*). If one feels like they get status from their membership in the group, they will attempt to raise the barriers of entry into that group, and you get dickmeasuring, hierarchies, and a lot of hate thrown at those who are "poseurs."

However, there is another way knowledge-based social capital can be used: in production. This usually happens when people use the social capital gained by being a member of the group to do things that are pleasurable in and of themselves. In the SF case, a lot of people are joining because they have an interest in clothing and they gain pleasure from dressing well. To generate that social pleasure, individuals in this group engage in the "production" of fits--i.e. we take the shared cultural knowledge and make it our own through putting clothing together on our bodies and taking pictures of ourselves and posting them on the internet. People in this group are usually those who have a passion for stuff and like to talk about it, and that alone is enough--this is the characterization of "geek" subcultures because people gain pleasure solely from "geeking out" as it were, and thus, don't have to draw any boundaries for group membership. These groups also have a very circle-jerky set of qualities and are very much prone to group-think.

EDIT: Ok i'm done

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
paging canadian: AR_Six can you come back and talk about fffs again ? it's loads more interesting when i have no idea what you're saying as opposed to ^ having no idea what he's writing
fight[1].gif

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wu Dynasty
Chrono Cross OST is the best, son.
No, but you may enjoy this -
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
Originally Posted by shahanshah
paging canadian: AR_Six can you come back and talk about fffs again ? it's loads more interesting when i have no idea what you're saying as opposed to ^ having no idea what he's writing
fight[1].gif

Actually if now that Wu mentions it, if you really feel like being confused, anyone want to explain the plot of Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross to me? I still have no idea wtf was going on there.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Graphic, I get what you're saying. I just found it kind of weird you'd dress-up a fairly standard argument in the occult language of postmodernism, yet keep the sexist undercurrents of those old unreflective binaries (competition as male trait, etc.).

Not complaining, though. I'd like to hear more about your views on SF, actually...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads