Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

If fashion is Dungeons & Dragons, then I guess SF would be Forgotten Realms, and SZ would be like Ravenloft or something.

2. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

^^^^^^While it certainly is funny how into "it" people on that other forum are, it's really no different from any subculture's idea of how "cool" they think they are - everyone is guilty of this. Styleforum, sz, underground "rave" kids ("I was into dubstep way before it became cool! this event is wordofmouthonly!"), comic book geeks, fuck, even people who been "into" various drugs have a more superiour attitude and "experience" that they lord over the new e-tards ([email protected]), or hipsters who like the bands first first album way more than their first album before they even existed. I have this wicked recording of this band that doesn't even have a name; it was recorded in the singer's grandma's mausoleum that dates back to the 900s - it's a super exclusive online limited release. You probably wouldn't get it anyway... I think synthese said something along the lines of fashion just being dungeons and dragons. it totally is - all that shit is. Except maybe at sz everyone there thinks they are the dungeon master familiar with every version released ever. LONG LIVE GYGAX
    Totally OT, but Comic book nerds (and other types of fandom, including D&D nerds) aren't as into knowing stuff before as they are about knowing as much. This is because they primarily establish hierarchies (i.e. dickmeasure) by using that knowledge in the "production" of meanings as it relates to their chosen passion. (pdf essay on the topic here). (I wrote my thesis on comic books and comic book fandom was a big chunk of it). I think SF is like this, and SZ to an extent. It's the way the cultural capital is used. Music nerds, unless they're in a band, can't establish a hierarchy any way besides "who knew them first" which implies authenticity (their social currency of most subcultures populated by middle class white kids). Meanwhile, actual musicians establish a hierarchy about "who can play better." Similarly, the objective nature of fits allows people to judge fits and create hierarchies of taste. When the hierarchy begins to blur that people become pretentious--just look at the kunk/sq clusterfuck on the baller sneaker thread: people can't figure out how to dickmeasure and so people latch onto disparate points of reference. The debate on SZ is between people who measure their own dicks differently. For the people who value designers based on their objective merit vis a vis the fits, they're like "give the kid a break" but for people who want to measure their dicks in terms of authenticity, they're like [​IMG]

4. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

my dick is better than yours because i appreciate it more. you just go through dicks like elton john. i've had mine since day one

5. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Totally OT, but Comic book nerds (and other types of fandom, including D&D nerds) aren't as into knowing stuff before as they are about knowing as much. This is because they primarily establish hierarchies (i.e. dickmeasure) by using that knowledge in the "production" of meanings as it relates to their chosen passion. (pdf essay on the topic here). (I wrote my thesis on comic books and comic book fandom was a big chunk of it).

I think SF is like this, and SZ to an extent. It's the way the cultural capital is used. Music nerds, unless they're in a band, can't establish a hierarchy any way besides "who knew them first" which implies authenticity (their social currency of most subcultures populated by middle class white kids). Meanwhile, actual musicians establish a hierarchy about "who can play better." Similarly, the objective nature of fits allows people to judge fits and create hierarchies of taste. When the hierarchy begins to blur that people become pretentious--just look at the kunk/sq clusterfuck on the baller sneaker thread: people can't figure out how to dickmeasure and so people latch onto disparate points of reference.

The debate on SZ is between people who measure their own dicks differently. For the people who value designers based on their objective merit vis a vis the fits, they're like "give the kid a break" but for people who want to measure their dicks in terms of authenticity, they're like [​IMG]

Reading this, I went from [​IMG] to [​IMG] to [​IMG] to [​IMG]

6. Lane

Lane Senior member

The last time I looked at SZ = fancy version of Honestforum, this was probably 2 years ago, though I imagine it hasn't changed greatly. - "forum aesthetic" made of literally only a handful of brands: check - bashing of newbie posters not wearing said brands: check - mega elitist attitudes: check - mind-numbing coordination of outfits: "all RO" "All Abercrombie" - check - mad layering: check "if one RO sheer top isn't enough, put on 3 more, and pop the collar on your RO jacket" [​IMG]
    brizaberch, good shit

7. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Dude do you even read styleforum? I could probably name 30-40 brands that are SF approved at this point without any real consideration of the matter and people get shit for lacking synergy. Almost no one wears head to toe X. Seriously?

8. Lane

Lane Senior member

just merely trying to point out it isn't completely black and white. No one here is the good guy. This forum has its share of whats listed there, and yes I was stretching a bit but its still true to a certain extent. It doesn't mean its bad to enjoy a certain number of brands since no one has the finances to delve into multiple aesthetics. I'm just trying to point out that you can't say bs like that, and take some fake high ground. We do our fair share of noob bashing because its funny, and we definitely have some elitists on here, which is fine because it gives the forum some flavor.

Plus, I don't see what is so blasphemous about wearing some brand head to toe. You're still mixing different pieces together to create your own silhouette. Don't get what's the preoccupation with not doing so.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

No it's not true to a certain extent, that was my point... except the elitism thing and that's sort of dependent upon your perspective - I mean if you can swag on the cheap like jkissi you'll get your props. Noobs are bashed when they suck beyond all possibility of fixing (ie, the "just burn everything" fits), or for not reading before they post a special flower thread.

I agree on the head to toe thing, I do that from time to time but aside from Kunk sometimes and socal way back when... who does this?

10. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

i don't understand and of these comparative metaphors you guys are throwing out

11. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I understand them perfectly because my consciousness is elevated by the fact that I have final fantasy piano collections from ff4 - ff13 playing as I type. Unless it happens to be on one of the 45285 versions of electric de chocobo, what the fuck is with that.

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

i only have the music from 4 and 6 because i'm trying to be more authentic.

13. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

but dude 5 has battle with gilgamesh aka clash on the big bridge aka the best battle music from any ff with the possible exception of man with the machine gun from ff8 which was good in spite of laguna's part on disc 3 kinda ruining the game if you know what I mean but that doesn't take away from mr uematsu's brilliance amirite?

Actually 4 has a pretty good soundtrack. Rydia theme is good. I am partial to 6 for nostalgic reasons but 9 is also very strong.

14. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

[​IMG]

15. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Well excuse me for discussing something important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.