• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^^But that's actually a bad call. I've done both and after a while people get stale on your thread and don't care that you've just added something extra... it's much more tempting to click the 0 reply thread that was just made because the tendency is to think that those are the ones where you'll get the good stuff, while the ones that have been up for a while are picked over. I sold thousands in a weekend when I posted that big thread a few months back just doing it all at once, new items added later (which were just as desirable and well priced) were not as successful. I think it's kinda like Gilt groupe.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
the 'post pics of your denim' thread really needs to be pinned

also, i wish that in addition to ignore there was a filter that allowed you to view only pictures posted

that way if you didn't want to read xenox's posts, but still wanted to see his fits you could.

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie

also, i wish that in addition to ignore there was a filter that allowed you to view only pictures posted

That's kinda what the pictures only WAYWT thread is for. But unfortunately not many people cross post from the discussion one.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
That's kinda what the pictures only WAYWT thread is for. But unfortunately not many people cross post from the discussion one.
yeah, pics only waywt has become pretty much useless. It moves at a glacial pace because everyone pretty much ignores it. There's like 3 regular posters who cross-post their fit pics from the discussion thread and then a few scattered pics from new guys (who then don't post them to the discussion thread, which is too bad because they're often guys in need of input that the other thread could provide). If you only look at the pics only thread you miss 90% of the fit pics

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
yeah, thats why I wish there was a way to filter
i'm sure theres a way to add some sort of gallery feature to the thread, i could have sworn i've seen this kind of thing done on other vbulletin forums. if this could be done, they could unpin the no discussion thread, and it would free up some room at the top of the page aswell.
Originally Posted by sq4you
the B&S rules are so marsupialed. "You bumped it by answering a question in a reply to the OP" causes your thread to be closed. I had like 3 people ask me the same question in pm and one in the thread. I replied to the one in the thread instead of sending a bunch of PMs answering the same question and my thread gets locked. B&S here is a joke.
it is a bit ridiculous how militant that forum has become, and its kind of annoying when someone asks a question i'd also like the answer to, so i have to PM the OP the same question again. though i have seen some people quote the question, and then edit the original post with the question and answer in it, that helps, but most people dont bother with this.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Part of the boomer mentality is suspicion of the well-dressed man, and fear of being perceived as "the Man." Not being too particular about how your clothes fit and look is at least in part attributable to that.

I had to talk my dad down from the ledge one time when he was about to go out to the opera in a polo, jeans, and a pair of cowboy boots. At least he didn't go dressed that way, but it was still a
facepalm.gif
moment.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah it's dumb. the rules just provide incentive for slowly adding items to a for sale thread as opposed to one big one all at once.
Better to price drop, though that means adding some buffer room in your asking price. I've already had to do that due to lowballing, much to my own chagrin.
Originally Posted by max_r
i'm sure theres a way to add some sort of gallery feature to the thread, i could have sworn i've seen this kind of thing done on other vbulletin forums. if this could be done, they could unpin the no discussion thread, and it would free up some room at the top of the page aswell.
Might I interest you in the Styleforum Gallery, by any chance? Though it'd have to be optimised before it could be of much use, I doubt many of the regulars even knows it exists And Fok has said they're on the brink of releasing a new marketplace which is supposed to be much better, though who's to say how far along that is, I haven't heard much about it in a while

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to resolve to wear my EG black cord Andover more this FW. It fits so well, and is toasty warm.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the B&S rules are so marsupialed.
"You bumped it by answering a question in a reply to the OP" causes your thread to be closed.
I had like 3 people ask me the same question in pm and one in the thread. I replied to the one in the thread instead of sending a bunch of PMs answering the same question and my thread gets locked. B&S here is a joke.

1. read rules
2. edit op

you would know two if you read one

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the most part my dealings in b&s have gone smoothly, though I'll agree that not being able to respond directly to questions is a bit irritating. Chances are, other people will want to know the same thing, which of course results in a bunch of PMs in my inbox. Other than that, I have no problems with the rules here as I really dislike people bumping their threads (eg. sufu, sz).

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B&S here has always gone smoothly for me, and as a buyer I like the no bump without pricedrop /added items rule. Obviously I feel a little different as a seller, but whatever. However, from either perspective I prefer here over sufu/sz. Unfortunately, the things I'm interested in tend to pop up on those sites more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads