• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Victory dance! :)

From horween.bigcartel.com

Snagged it 9 minutes after post (there are shell wallets and belts available too).

I'm normally a 9.5EE on the 114 last as a fairly snug fit. I'm hoping that 10.5E ends up working as a reasonable fit, but either way deal of the century right there on green shell.

IDK. Seems as if you ought to have played the Powerball with that luck.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, let's see if its the 114 last or the 800 last for my luck. If it's Rancourt, as I suspect, it's 114 and has a good chance of fitting. If it's 800, then it's going to be way too big. Either way, plenty of pics will be forthcoming, for sure. I'll also let you'll know how the sock liner is branded.

I literally only have twitter so that I can snag deals, one off final sales, discount codes etc. These deals very often go out on twitter before email blasts or reddit picks it up. They have a bunch of other interesting things on the site, btw, some shell belts and wallets, but all at normal prices, and actually more expensive that Mitchell leather. Link to the shoes' page

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Victory dance!
smile.gif

Snagged it 9 minutes after post (there are shell wallets and belts available too).

I'm normally a 9.5EE on the 114 last as a fairly snug fit. I'm hoping that 10.5E ends up working as a reasonable fit, but either way deal of the century right there on green shell.

Speechless.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Victory dance!
smile.gif

Great snag, hope they work out for you.

MattBernier

Reaction score
Don't have em' yet! They should be pretty near done though. Sometime this week I'm expecting. They started on them sometime after their holiday break.

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took the ranger mocs out for some more spins over the weekend. Seems to me the RLH sole is getting firmer. The sole curing, the cold weather, or my imagination?

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, could anyoune help me with sizing? I want to buy a pair of theese chukka horwen http://gentrynyc.com/collections/all-footwear/products/eastland-jefferson-dark-brown

I want to wear them with normal and thick socks in winter

Should I go TTS?

Thanks
Thanks for the heads up on these. Here are pix of mine, which I got last Friday. There was a fine layer of dust on them, which cleaned off with a horsehair brush. Very comfy Vibram sole. Sizing experience: I wear 9d on the Barrie last and 9.5d in most AE models. So, I ordered a 9.5d. (I also have some rancourt ranger mocs in 9.5). These fit great.

Last pix is at the end of a long saturday after breaking them in. Hence a little bit of dust on them.

MattBernier

Reaction score
Interesting! I remember how surprised I was reading someone say they were as squishy as crepe, because I find crepe unpleasantly squishy, but found the well cured sample sole in Portland Dry Goods to be certainly softer than Vibram, but still quite firm and robust. It's what made me think it would be an ideal hiking sole, able to stick to rock while still offering some strucure. We will see if I was right very soon, I hope.

MattBernier

Reaction score
The & eyelets have arrived!

The box:

The boots, unworn:

First try-on, side view

The boots are loose at the top and ankle- clearly meant to accommodate pants tucked into them. As you can see, even with a kilty in, the top of the shoe has to overlap to close on my ankle. I have very thin legs, so this isn't uncommon, but the fact that the boots are designed wide means I need to fill the space a bit more than usual.

Here, you can see the overlap better. Again, this is with a leather kilty in.

The hand stitching is BEAUTIFUL. The toes fit as they should, very slightly snug but not tight, which means in awhile they will be pleasantly roomy. They don't press any of my toes more than the others.

I had to try quite a few variations of laces, lacing style, kilty arrangement, and insole arrangement before I found just the right fit, and evidenly over the winter I have totally lost my lacing calluses. The thin waxed laces blistered my fingers. Good sign I need to lace boots on more often!

The new soles are indeed slightly squishier in the not-entirely-cured heel than the fully cured store example. Not unpleasantly so, but it will be neat to feel them finish firming up. Time will really tell if I can use these in their intended role, but they are lovely, comfortable, and well made boots. My thanks to Dustin at Portland Dry Goods who took the order for me!

One last photo:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@MattBernier

Wow.

Those look fantastic. Thanks for all the photos.

I'm impressed with how much higher up the leg a seven-eyelet boot comes than six (which is what the Bison boots I recently got are).

What does the shaft of the boot measure?

:slayer:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Where would you like me to measure from, up from the floor or up from where the leather begins?

Good question. Why not from where the leather starts... that eliminates an differences in sole thickness. I'd like to compare to my six-eyelets (which in fact are about six inches from the bottom of the leather).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads