• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tucson bison Clymer boots.

Excellent taste in interior design, whoever is responsible for that.

MattBernier

Reaction score
The York Street line had a denim blue Shaggy Dog that was, unlike the regular Shaggy Dog, in a cut that flattered my body, so I spent my Christmas money on it. They also had two really dumb looking multi tone ones, like the boots. I guess young preppies like dumb multi tone stuff?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$131 for Monroe perf cap toe boots (Eastland for J Press made by Rancourt) ... many sizes available.

The multi-color ones are ridiculous! Burgundy, Green and Black or Brown? Who designed that?! Who bought that!?!

Wow. I paid $214 at Gentry for my green ones and $146 at Opening Ceremony for my russets. I thought I was getting crazy bargains on both! Wonder why they're being so heavily discounted these days - I absolutely love mine.

Regarding the multi-color, I agree that that's taking it a little too far, but you can get even crazier if you use Rancourt's Blake boot configurator. I've played around with the configurator and come up with some somewhat more toned-down saddle combinations that were truly tempting.

Last edited:

anrobit

Reaction score
Wow. I paid $214 at Gentry for my green ones and $146 at Opening Ceremony for my russets. I thought I was getting crazy bargains on both! Wonder why they're being so heavily discounted these days - I absolutely love mine.

Regarding the multi-color, I agree that that's taking it a little too far, but you can get even crazier if you use Rancourt's Blake boot configurator. I've played around with the configurator and come up with some somewhat more toned-down saddle combinations that were truly tempting.
In regards to why they're being so heavily discounted, I believe it's because Eastland doesn't have a lot of pull in the high end shoe market. As a result, I see a lot of Eastlands discounted heavily everywhere: Gentry, Gilt, eBay, OC, JPress... Just about everywhere that they're sold.

Most of the market isn't aware that they're getting a Rancourt shoe.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow.  I paid $214 at Gentry for my green ones and $146 at Opening Ceremony for my russets.  I thought I was getting crazy bargains on both!  Wonder why they're being so heavily discounted these days - I absolutely love mine.

Regarding the multi-color, I agree that that's taking it a little too far, but you can get even crazier if you use Rancourt's Blake boot configurator.  I've played around with the configurator and come up with some somewhat more toned-down saddle combinations that were truly tempting.

In regards to why they're being so heavily discounted, I believe it's because Eastland doesn't have a lot of pull in the high end shoe market. As a result, I see a lot of Eastlands discounted heavily everywhere: Gentry, Gilt, eBay, OC, JPress... Just about everywhere that they're sold.

Most of the market isn't aware that they're getting a Rancourt shoe.

These discounts have been happening for years, Gentry used to do 50% off codes that worked on sale items, OC has always gone to 75% off range for all their other shoes including Yuketens so I'd say it's more standard for these American handsewns when they get sold by other stores. Too many options / too much competition for almost the same product. Mr. Porter had Quoddies for $56 or so when they first started

Just depends on how you value the shoe, $214 is still a good deal

anrobit

Reaction score
These discounts have been happening for years, Gentry used to do 50% off codes that worked on sale items, OC has always gone to 75% off range for all their other shoes including Yuketens so I'd say it's more standard for these American handsewns when they get sold by other stores. Too many options / too much competition for almost the same product. Mr. Porter had Quoddies for $56 or so when they first started

Just depends on how you value the shoe, $214 is still a good deal
I think I mean that i specifically see them more on Eastland MiM. Whereas many handsewns end up in end of season sales, the Eastland are proportionally more available, and at near-full size runs. I don't see full size runs available for Yuketen, OSB, Quoddy, or anyone else, but I've seen near full size runs in the Eastland MiM boots in common colours (brown) on sale at multiple different retailers.

Last edited:

rutabaga

Reaction score
I have four Eastland MiM shoes now: color #8 4 eye blucher mocs, navy 1 eye camp mocs on vibram christy, dark brown chukka mocs, and loden chukkas on vibram christy. I'm really pleased with the quality of all of them, and I scooped them for $200 at most. My only disappointment is that I might want to wear the 1 eyes sockless and thus I should have gotten a half size smaller I think. Or maybe the christy is just too stiff, yet. Hmmm.

cathpah

Reaction score
I have four Eastland MiM shoes now: color #8 4 eye blucher mocs, navy 1 eye camp mocs on vibram christy, dark brown chukka mocs, and loden chukkas on vibram christy. I'm really pleased with the quality of all of them, and I scooped them for $200 at most. My only disappointment is that I might want to wear the 1 eyes sockless and thus I should have gotten a half size smaller I think. Or maybe the christy is just too stiff, yet. Hmmm.
An insole would help, and if you plan on going barefoot, you might as well toss in a terrycloth insole, anyways. That, plus a thin flexible insole would probably help them to work barefoot.

Kwaker

Reaction score

Wow.  I paid $214 at Gentry for my green ones and $146 at Opening Ceremony for my russets.  I thought I was getting crazy bargains on both!  Wonder why they're being so heavily discounted these days - I absolutely love mine.

Regarding the multi-color, I agree that that's taking it a little too far, but you can get even crazier if you use Rancourt's Blake boot configurator.  I've played around with the configurator and come up with some somewhat more toned-down saddle combinations that were truly tempting.

What size should I get the Monroe if my Barrie-shoe size is 8D?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am awfully tempted by the loden green boots that J. Press has marked down so heavily.

FWIW, I was in the DC stores a few months ago and the sales associates had absolutely zero good things to say about the York Street line. It makes me wonder how long it will last.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jefferson Chukka on a semicold Saturday.

MattBernier

Reaction score
My ankle creases are forming nicely; I only had to pinch and mold one little area that was getting a bit out of line. It's really worth it to form these well when the boot is new and still breaking in. Good creases will allow you to flex with comfort, whereas bad creases can pinch or dig in and cause bruises and blisters, especially walking down inclines. My Red Wings were bought used, and while they give me no pain, the crease on the left boot is to bad the leather is cracking from the stress. It's too late for them, but I can give these a good start in life.

This shows how soft Chromexel is, too. The leather on my White's would take three months to look like this.

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you guys talk me into/out of these boots (ebay link for reference; no affiliation w/seller):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timberland-...ain-Toe-High-Chukka-4025R-Size7-/121253710015

pros:
-really comfortable
-(I like) the way they look
-don't have anything like it
-rancourt quality
-want to obenauf them and use them on mucky days (rain/snow/slush)
-I can get these in the low $100s locally

cons:
-I have an office job. dress up 4-5 days a week.
-don't see many opportunities to wear them
-I already have some imitation LLbean duck boots for mucky purposes (of course, they look ducky)
-is the suede boot shaft a concern for my purposes?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads