• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got two Rancourt chukkas from the CM last night. Overall, I am less impressed than I thought I would be. While the quality of the shoes is fantastic (much better than AE Amok or Mojave I purchased before) I am concerned about the style. As expected, this chukka is not very sleek and probably looks more like an ankle work boot, especially given the bulbous toe. I was hoping to be able to wear it with the shorts in the summer, but I think they are going back. I'll revert back to my JCrew MacAllister boot purchased on sale for <$32 last month.

This is kind of how I felt as well and decided to pass on them.

cincikid

Reaction score

I've also purchased (and returned) the Amok and Mojave and agree that the Rancourts are noticeably better quality. I've also found the toe to be somewhat bulbous. I'm hoping that as they break in that the toe will soften up somewhat.

Can anyone here comment on what happens with the toe box on these boots as they are broken in?

ps: how did you score the MacAllister boots for <$32? Steal.

I should have said I returned both Amok and Mojave as well. And yes, MacAllisters were $32. Got them at my local jcrew on sale at 50% off plus 15% extra with my teachers discount.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty content overall - $340 shipped for whiskey shell venetians from Leffot. Very comfortable and TTS worked well. Please excuse pic.

Last edited:

rusticchasm

Reaction score
when do you replace the dovetail? i've worn my beefrolls for about 20 days now and it's about halfway through the rubber already!

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^@rydenfan - Thanks. I do like the color - seems almost more "natural" than "whiskey". There are some minor construction nits apparent only on close inspection, and the right shoe came with a few creases, but these things aren't too disconcerting and they will be forgotten as the shoes age (which I think they will do very nicely).

Last edited:

rutabaga

Reaction score

I agree with cathpah that sending them off to B. Nelson sounds like overkill.

If you are just in Windsor and ever come north, there are two cobblers in Birmingham that are more than capable that you might want to check with. Frank's Shoe Service (on Old Woodward) and Tiger Shoe Repair (on Maple just east of Old Woodward). I've trusted Tiger with some Alden in the past and would do so again. Frank's has a great reputation as well.

Thank you for the info. I'm in the area and it's good to have a recommendation.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've also purchased (and returned) the Amok and Mojave and agree that the Rancourts are noticeably better quality. I've also found the toe to be somewhat bulbous. I'm hoping that as they break in that the toe will soften up somewhat.

Can anyone here comment on what happens with the toe box on these boots as they are broken in?

ps: how did you score the MacAllister boots for <$32? Steal.

Blake boots I have the toe shape had stated consistent. I don't think it is going to flatten out. It is definitely a bit if a work boot profile. I like mine but would probably go with a handsewn boot or chukka from Rancourt next time around.

For something casual and short friendly that's what I'd suggest too; handsewn chukka. With a crepe or Amazona rubber sole I think. But maybe leather too.

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got two Rancourt chukkas from the CM last night. Overall, I am less impressed than I thought I would be. While the quality of the shoes is fantastic (much better than AE Amok or Mojave I purchased before) I am concerned about the style. As expected, this chukka is not very sleek and probably looks more like an ankle work boot, especially given the bulbous toe. I was hoping to be able to wear it with the shorts in the summer, but I think they are going back. I'll revert back to my JCrew MacAllister boot purchased on sale for <$32 last month.

Never handled their Blake boots or Chukkas in real life, but that toe has always struck me as being too high for my liking. Kept away from a purchase, to be honest, which my wallet is happy about. Much prefer the lower profile toe of their handsewns.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never handled their Blake boots or Chukkas in real life, but that toe has always struck me as being too high for my liking. Kept away from a purchase, to be honest, which my wallet is happy about. Much prefer the lower profile toe of their handsewns.
I wish the toe on my blake boots was higher. Maybe mine is just atypically low.

justuhgeek

Reaction score
Thinking about putting an order in for an espresso cordovan camp moc.
Can anyone share a pic of broken in espresso cordovan?
Couldn't find many through search. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads