1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. nubirth

nubirth Well-Known Member

A little background. Im currently building my shoe collection after years of ignoring it with cheap shoes and/or sneakers. After a couple years of finding my shoe "niche", i became enamored of the Gucci Bit loafers and wanted to incorporate them into my wardrobe. My hesistance to buying the Gucci loafers are the result of feeling that at the price point that Gucci wants for their shoes, compared with the quality of what you would be getting, that the purchase wouldnt be a wise decision. This lead me to a search for a Bit loafer with a comparable or better quality shoe, at a price in my sweet spot of between $300 to $400 dollars.

I initially looked at the Allen Edmond Verona. Its a nice loafer, with a good price, and a nice Italian look to them. They initially were gonna be the bit loafer i wanted. I also looked at the Alden Cape Cods. Again, a nice shoe, at a good price point, but the styling is more of a English, Stodgy look. They ARE nice looking shoes, so i put them on my long list with the Veronas. I also want to incorporate some nice penny loafers into the wardrobe, and by ACCIDENT, came across some pictures of a bit loafer that blew me away, by Rancourt.

I already knew Rancourt made some nice penny loafers, so i knew the bit loafers were not being offered on their website. So, i called them to see if they would ever make them again. Scott answered the phone and i asked him about the bit loafers they used to make. He blew me away by stating that they still make them, in fact, he had some in stock. BINGO!! They come in black and dark brown mimosa. I ordered the dark browns so that i could make sure of a fit. I wear a 9d and ordered some. I just got them today after ordering friday. They came in a nice shoe box with a Rancourt post card, shoe bags and a nice shoe horn. GREAT PRESENTATION and i loved it. I quickly tried the loafers on and they fit perfectly. They are a little snug, but i know they will break in nicely.

The MAIN reason i chose the Rancourts at this time are the thickness of the soles. With Gucci Loafers, and other brands, some people complain of toe scrub. I expect no such thing with these Rancourts. They are very nice quality wise and look every bit as good as a Gucci bit loafer. The price is $340. I expect to get the black loafers now. I HIGHLY recommend these shoes for anyone looking for a bit loafer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Great story. Always pays to ask, right?

And that looks like a really nice fit for you. That mimosa calf is a really lovely leather too. Enjoy them and post some more photos as you wear them.

Also, been wearing my khaki suede Russell boots recently.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

Anyone seen the new Rancourt x Huckberry Knox Boots? https://huckberry.com/store/shop/rancourt-x-hackberry Thoughts? Also, could someone who owns the Taylor Stitch Knox boots give me your thoughts on the RHL sole and how it's holding up? I'm looking for a casual brown boot, and this one caught my eye as something a little different and likely really comfortable from the start. I also like the looks of the new brown waxed flesh from Truman with a commando sole or the popular the Innsbruck Indy (but those are sold out in my size).

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I don't own the Knox boot, but I can vouch for the RLH soles. They are one of the best things about Rancourt IMO. They are quite durable exceptionally comfortable.

TBH, and I hate to say it, the Indy boot probably is a notch above in terms of build quality. Cork insole vs fiberboard and the way that they are put together. That is not to say that Rancourt's are low quality, but a discerning shoe enthusiast will certainly notice a difference.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

Thanks, this is helpful. I also just noticed that the leather is color 8 and not brown cxl. I was hoping for brown, but otherwise I like these for the price point. I still may end up ordering the Indy from J Crew while I wait on the Innsbruck next year or perhaps try the Truman service boot in brown cxl. Not sure what I'll do.

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  7. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

What do you think of Truman, Kahuna?

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Since I'm already being critical objective about Rancourt, I have to say (as I just received the email promoting the Northport Penny Loafer) that I think a lot of their in-house designs are total misses.

9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I will PM you as I don't want to pollute the Rancourt thread with other makers

10. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

11. FrankCowperwood

Funny, that kind of loafer design seems to be the sort of thing you see at Brooks Brothers from Rancourt. You sort of assume Brooks has done some research on what might sell, but I agree it's not really an appealing design. The concept of a sturdy fall slip-on isn't bad, but the two-leather thing is not good. I suppose Rancourt itself isn't making (m)any of these if no one orders them.

@Mr Clemson That Knox boot might be a nice choice. I ordered and returned the Taylor Stitch version. The shape of the vamp, oddly enough, did not work at all for my foot. Super tight across the instep for me. Weird.

RLH Cricket or Aspen are fine choices in general. The Cricket's tread in particular ought to make it pretty all-weather.

Personally, I'm pretty much over Alden, so I would give Truman a look if I were you. We can talk about it over in the Truman thread of course, but Vince's boots definitely have more of a work boot aesthetic than Alden or Rancourt.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Not a fan of the strap either, but the two tone leather strap PLUS the vibram lug sole is what really puts me over the edge. If it were on a more loafer-ish sole, I would just chalk it up to differences in taste.

I agree, it does have a Rancourt for BB feel to it.

Some of their "Collections" have been a hit, like that 1967 4-eyelet blucher and the Flint Kudu, but other times I'm just like "okay, so this is yet another CXL blake boot, this time on a goofy sole... for $450.

Seems to be their way of introducing new materials/patterns, but I don't get why they can't do it via more classic designs.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  13. FrankCowperwood

Yup, it's a little odd since there's the custom shoe/boot builder, but that increasingly doesn't really have the full set of options. Not sure why. Seems as if they could at least add more leathers. I guess they must have to buy in at least some of the leather/specialized sole materials for all these different collections. They've definitely cycled some options off their site. Not quite as many of those Blake boots you mention up there anymore.

Seems as if this loafer might have made more sense as a chukka of some sort. Oh well. Not our skin in the game and I'm sure they'll get some orders.

14. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Senior member

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

My suspicion on why they don't have more options on the shoe/boot builder is that they would have to have a web developer come and add them, which would get expensive assuming it's tedious work and billed by the hour. Maybe people don't use it much and instead just email Scott with the details of the makeup.

It's nice to have, but the renderings aren't realistic enough for me to really get an idea of how a makeup will actually look IRL.

Seems that they prefer larger orders from BB or RL instead of one-offs, in order to take advantage of economies of scale. Just based on how they added an upcharge and don't really promote the service too heavily.

I'd be curious what % of their sales are comprised of custom one-offs. I guess one could ask next time they do an AMA. Looks like they did another one not long ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/3gqzea/we_are_mike_rancourt_and_kyle_rancourt_of/?

16. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

17. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Senior member

Interesting... is there a current MTO option at that pricing? Just searched the site and can't seem to find this....

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  18. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

It does not exist. Sorry for the confusion. Just saying that I like the Navy beefroll, but would prefer it with an RLH sole and think that it's fair value is closer to $250, but the cost is the cost.

19. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Senior member

Thx for the clarification... and lol figured that's what you meant, but was hoping against hope that actually existed as an MTO option..........

20. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

You can get it with an RLH. They have Black and Color 8 beefrolls on RLH in the Ready-Made collection. You could MTO a Navy with the RLH. While I'm not that enthusiastic about $295, if you aren't very price sensitive it might be worth it to pony up the fee to get the RLH.

Then again, you can always just have it put on when you resole, if it's something you want.