• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rambo's World Adventure

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You should probably plan your travels in a manner designed to minimize travel costs. I mean, no jetting from London to Sydney then backtrack to Paris.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heed the advice of those who tell you that one backpack and as few items as possible is the way to travel. Eastern Europe, Turkey, South and Southeast Asia are your more affordable options.

Keep in mind visa costs, validity, and requirements. For Yanks Turkey is $20 and issued on arrival; the PRC is approx. $200 but has to be issued before arrival.

Check out round-the-world fares from the airlines, such as the Star Alliance. Beware surcharges.

If you're planning to ATM it find out what the bank transaction fees are (you'll likely be paying two of them for each transaction), and of course the availability of ATMs. You may want to carry some traveler's checks as a back up. In some third-world countries large denominations aren't easily handled by stores, transport, guesthouses once you get out of the urban areas. You may end up carrying bricks of cash.

Weigh the benefits of traveler's health insurance. If you decide it's prudent get one that pays the hospital/doctor directly rather then you pay and then file paperwork for reimbursement. That's a quick way to end a round-the-world adventure.

Update your vaccinations. If you're leaving soon it's too late to get the 3-shot cycle for hep. If you're currently working and have health insurance get a thorough exam before you quit your job.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has the makings of a true lifetime adventure. Congratulations Rambo.

My brother did this many years ago when he had been out of college for 2 years. To this day it is one of his greatest life experiences.

He bought a round-the-world ticket that had a special reduced price as long as he kept going in the same direction (in his case West). I've heard that these tickets are still available.

He took a frameless backpack and simple camping equipment. This allowed him to camp in Australia and NZ and a few other countries.

He met a lot of teachers from the US, Canada, UK along the way. These are people that tend to have several months of vacation but little money to spend. So he picked up a lot of helpful suggestions from them on where to go and how to travel cheaply.

Most used Hostels and camped to minimize expenses.

He kept one smart looking shirt and pants for border crossings.

Once he got to the South Sea islands he was able to catch rides on boats and visit smaller islands. He had wild adventures there in very open and carefree remote settings.

My wife's cousin has done this as well. He traveled all around the world helping guys on boats, usually when one needed to be delivered to another country. He had no experience and learned on the job.

Both of them say that places like Easter Island, Bali, etc shouldn't be missed.

FWIW, I think you can go to Germany and Oktoberfest anytime in your life. At this point consider a trip that is off the beaten path. Try the more exotic and out of the mainstream locations.

Good luck!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Travel light.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FYI..You gave the govt $60. I sent in my passport to be renewed and got it back EXACTLY 2 weeks to the day. Got my old passport 4 days later....

$60 bucks goes far when touring da world...

Last edited:

tullytra

Reaction score

FYI..You gave the govt $60. I sent in my passport to be renewed and got it back EXACTLY 2 weeks to the day. Got my old passport 4 days later....

Correct. I applied for my passport for the first time roughly one year ago, and I had it within 3 weeks. Usually if you apply for the passport in person at a county courthouse, or similar establishment, they will give you an idea of how long the regular processing is currently taking.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Current timeframe for new passports is listed at 4-6 weeks according to the state department website. Not including mail time.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry, Rambo, no time to read the other answers. here is what I would say

2 pair of jeans
2 pair of coolmax underwear, 2 pair of coolmax socks - stuff you can wash and hang out to dry and it'll be dry by morning. maybe a hoodie from underarmour or from icebreaker, not too heavy, anti-bactirial and fast drying. a puffy parka that squishes up tiny. a pair of canvas boots or high top sneakers, an oxford button down. a few simple tee shirts. that is it, it should all fit in a little backpack. razor and tooth brush.

I'd say hit the octoberfest - that is a blast, and you will meet people. its a while away, though. at this time of year, I'd probably aim for south america for a few months, then cross over to Europe around june/july, cross europe aiming to hit munich in mid sept, and leave europe before november, maybe hit asia at that point.

good luck

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'd say hit the octoberfest - that is a blast, and you will meet people. its a while away, though. at this time of year, I'd probably aim for south america for a few months, then cross over to Europe around june/july, cross europe aiming to hit munich in mid sept, and leave europe before november, maybe hit asia at that point.
good luck

Hmm. This is intriguing.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
well there goes my hook up in miami. :(

let me know what your plans are and if you're gonna be in the area. also, regarding your health issues, I do hope you clear this out with your doctor/medical practitioner/witch doctor/midwife. and also have a list of the meds you need and their corresponding equivalence in other countries. also bring an extra cellphone just in case you need it you can buy a local card. and if you're hitting asia specially india bring some of those water purifying tablets like aquatabs. I'd recommend renting a bicycle to go around cities if you're gonna be there for more than a day but that really depends on a lot of things...

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
glad you brought that up - How does cellphone coverage work internationally? I have an iPhone 4S and its a worldphone. Do I just buy simcards in each country with a pre-allotted amount of minutes and data on it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads