Rambo's World Adventure

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Rambo, Feb 11, 2012.

1. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

With Eurail, the main benefits for me were the freedom to just up and go somewhere for cheap (after the initial payment) and the location of the stations. With the discount airliners the prices can be a steal on weekdays or in advance, but if you want to make changes it can be troublesome. Also, getting to/from the airport can add some cost and hassle. From Charles de Gaulle to the center of Paris by metro is 9.10 euro each way: oddly, if you go break up the trip from the airport to the nearest zone and then into Paris it only costs 7.80 or so. Most train stations are located in an easy location to navigate near the center of the city.

2. .Kurtz.

.Kurtz. Senior member

Main problem with Eurail is its cost. You practically have to be in constant movement to recoup your investment. Otherwise, it's more worth to just pay single tickets on specific journeys.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Rambo, have you picked out your first port of call yet?

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

probably orlando, or ft. lauderdale.

5. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

when I come to the states can I hang out with the Piob, too?!?! :embar:

6. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

FLL is a dream of an airport.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

This sounds pretty cool. How did that help with finding places to crash? The bus people?

No, not yet. Still taking suggestions.

That would be just walking out the front door and getting in the car.

MIA is nicer

8. whodini

Well, yes and no. You're basically going from hotel/hostel to hotel/hostel when you travel.

For example, the bus company gives you a few suggestions/deals for staying at particular places in London including the hostel where they do pick-ups/drop-offs. So let's say you decide to hop on the bus and go to Paris. While on the bus, the "guide" can call up the places they recommend and book you a room. These places are usually in front of or within walking distance of where the bus stops. The advantage, of course, is that the place will probably be reputable and you won't have to worry about taking public transportation to find it since the bus will drop you off nearby. I did all of my trip this way and was young/flexible enough not to regret it.

Let's say you don't mind being more adventurous. Often, other people on the bus will have other plans to stay at cheaper/pricier spots. As fellow travelers tend to be really friendly, it's not hard to get info from them. The bus guides are usually really knowledgeable about that stuff, anyway.

There are really only a few times where you sort of have to stay where the bus stops. Venice, for example, wasn't in the town proper; the spot we stayed at was more of a campground with cabins about 15 mins outside. It wasn't impossible to stay some place else but it was a lot easier if we didn't. Same went for more rural areas like Tyrol or Interlaken.

But the point is that the bus company doesn't care where you stay, just as long as you are aware of their drop-off/pick-up points.

If I was planning a first-ever trip to Europe this summer, I'd do this route. There was a lot that appealed to me over having a set itinerary and flying to specific places or taking the rail and working things out on my own. I didn't mind paying a little bit of a premium to know that I didn't have to worry about where I was going to sleep, how I was going to find it, changing my plans if I wanted to stay longer/shorter, finding people to take a crappy tour or a pub crawl, etc. The buses basically took care of all the particulars so that I was free to do anything.

Must be late in FL because I was being sarcastic as fuck. FLL is a goddamn dive that makes a New Mexico regional airport look like Shangri La.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

That sounds amazing.

And, yes, I did miss the sarcasm. You think FLL is bad, try PBIA. Ugh.

10. whodini

It really was a lot of fun. On top of the crazy, boy band-level ass you get, you actually meet a lot of cool people and I even keep in touch with quite of a few to this day. I did the trip with my best friend and while we got sick of each other, we went out with people every night.

The circuit has changed a little since I went, but it's the same basic principle. It was funny because Id be saying good bye to some friends one night in one country only to bump into them days or weeks later in a different country because of how the bus route works.

http://www.busabout.com/hop-on-hop-off/flexitrip

Also:

[​IMG]

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

So, I've been tossing around travel itineraries and wanted to get some suggestions:

As Globe mentioned - doing South America/Central America for 2-3 months until summer, then hitting Europe after that. My problem with this plan, is that it'll put me in Asia during the winter. I really don't want to freeze my ass off in Russia/China/Japan/etc. I suppose I could go over to Australia/NZ and then Africa to avoid that, but I'd also have to avoid half of Africa to be out of winter. I've never dealt with freezing cold before so I'd rather not have that fuck up my trip.

-Doing Asia/Europe/upper Africa now for several months, then hitting AUS/NZ/lower Africa/and then South America for winter. I could also get over to India before rainy season. I'd be able to completely avoid any type of freezing weather and wouldn't have to worry about that shit. Downside is that I'll probably have higher travel costs with this. Not markedly, but still.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Our winter is an ideal time to visit Southeast Asia.

Just my opinion, but your itinerary sounds overly ambitious. I think you are better off spending more time in fewer places rather than attempting to visit every continent in one trip.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Hmm. Well, I do plan on being out for a good while, so its not like I'm trying to do every country in 2 days. Would that info change your estimation?

15. tropics

tropics Senior member

if you haven't travelled much before, probably better to start somewhere that speaks english