• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I've always found the J crew low button stance and lapels/gorge really bad looking.
Surely fashion oriented not like rugby/polo rl sport coat.
I think that they aren't so comparable.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i know your point was elsewhere, but comparing those two jackets is not the best way to show it.

Rugby's Herringbone Wool Sport Coats made in Italy, are great quality. In terms of GQ it is equal or better.

The silk/linen blends aren't really my favorites from Rugby. Especially the one's that aren't fully lined.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that this Fall there aren't made in Italy sport coat or suit, they are all imported except the Blazers.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I noticed that this Fall there aren't made in Italy sport coat or suit, they are all imported except the Blazers.

Yeah this fall's line is pretty small compared to previous ones. I hope they roll out more items, they seem to be slowly per week, but I'd much rather just see everything at once

kaneda

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Please allow me to introduce myself and more items from my personal collection. My name is Chris and I live in NYC. I've been a big fan of Ralph Lauren ever since I was young. While I love all of his lines, the Rugby line continues to be my favorite. I just fine the cut and fit so perfect. I also love the way Rugby allows one to personalize an item. In NYC, if you just buy off the rack, you'll see yourself coming and going all the time. That's why I love making my own Rugby creations or finding vintage items that are truly one of a kind. I'm also going to share with you guys some RRL items that feel very "Rugby" inspired. I think you guys will appreciate them. I've shared some of this stuff on other threads and got blasted. Lots of Ralph haters out there.

Besides what I'm going to share now (which are more more interesting pieces) I have a lot of Rugby suits from back in the day when they made suits that actually fit and were true to size. For some reason they decided to make the suits so small now with the arm holes way too high. I can't fit into any of them. So annoying. But I digress. Let the games begin....

CK

kaneda

Reaction score
Here's a fun riding jacket I created. A little secret I learned about Rugby's vintage items was that they were buying jackets from "What Goes Around Comes Around" (vintage store) and putting Rugby patches on them and selling the items for $500. Simply cut out the middle man and do it yourself. Although the Vintage stores in NYC can charge obscene amounts so I highly recommend shopping elsewhere or online.

kaneda

Reaction score
I got this jacket from "What Goes Around Comes Around" and took the patches off of a Rugby sweatshirt to make this creation. This one is really cool and fun to wear with jeans.

kaneda

Reaction score
One of my favorite creations is this sports coat. Took a very classic Ralph Lauren blazer and grabbed this skull patch off of a messenger bag they sold. Best skull and bones patch they ever made. The "15" on the arm is just something I love doing. Adds a little extra flair without going over the top. I wear this jacket all the time to fancy restaurants and cigar bars. Has a very upscale private club look to it.

Had to bring the look to Paris this year...

kaneda

Reaction score
One word: CAPE. This thing is hard to wear but totally awesome and one of the rarest Rugby items ever produced. If only we were born a hundred years ago. Then you could sport this and not be ridiculed. You have to wear this with some thick skin and a hot girl on your shoulder. Luckily my girlfriend doesn't mind me dressing up in this...Best way to wear it is over a dark suit and go all out Phantom on people. And oh yeah, only at night or else you risk getting beat up by the haters. Harry Potter fans rejoice.

kaneda

Reaction score
And now, since I know fans of rugby will appreciate this stuff. Items I've gotten from RRL, but that would totally work coming from Rugby.

Feel free to ask me any questions or inquire about any of these items for sale. I get bored of stuff over time.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And now, since I know fans of rugby will appreciate this stuff.  Items I've gotten from RRL, but that would totally work coming from Rugby.  

Feel free to ask me any questions or inquire about any of these items for sale.  I get bored of stuff over time. 

You are my hero....and god damn, you should be the poster boy for Rugby

Last edited:

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Besides what I'm going to share now (which are more more interesting pieces) I have a lot of Rugby suits from back in the day when they made suits that actually fit and were true to size. For some reason they decided to make the suits so small now with the arm holes way too high.  I can't fit into any of them.  So annoying.  But I digress.  Let the games begin....

Yeah Rugby's suits/sport coats fit crazy. I wear a 40R in almost every brand but with Rugby I size up to 42L.

Amelorn

Reaction score

And now, since I know fans of rugby will appreciate this stuff.  Items I've gotten from RRL, but that would totally work coming from Rugby.  

Feel free to ask me any questions or inquire about any of these items for sale.  I get bored of stuff over time. 

Congratulations, selling your older pieces will reduce Saturdays to penury and petty thievery. If the cops bust him for cooking meth, I will blame you. Also, the USN leather jacket is actually worth torching an orphanage for.

Saturdays: While this invigorating newcomer (we could use some new blood on this thread) could be a rugby posterboy, he doesn't have that vacant countenance unique to the privileged, blonde, and vapid. ;)

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congratulations, selling your older pieces will reduce Saturdays to penury and petty thievery. If the cops bust him for cooking meth, I will blame you. Also, the USN leather jacket is actually worth torching an orphanage for.
Saturdays: While this invigorating newcomer (we could use some new blood on this thread) could be a rugby posterboy, he doesn't have that vacant countenance unique to the privileged, blonde, and vapid. ;)

I doubt kaneda is an XS/S, 36R, 30x32, 9.5-10D.

Though I doubt I'll be torching orphanages, I won't put past Breaking Bad elements to get my hands on some of those items. :rotflmao:

I found an interesting site to buy striped cricket blazers for fairly cheap: http://www.clubcolours.co.uk/pages/blazers.php

Don't know if they ship to the US, or even deal with US customers. Does anybody know of another place where I can order online or by phone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads