Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by NAMOR, Jul 28, 2011.

1. kaneda

kaneda Active Member

When Rugby first opened up years ago in NYC they had all of these great vintage coats. For the longest time, they refused to sell any of them, stating they decorative for the store and not for sale. Eventually they decided to sell them and I picked up some cool pieces. Here's one. Yes these are loud and pop but they definitely draw attention.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kaneda

kaneda Active Member

3. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

You have no idea how jealous I am right now....No idea...

4. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Ugh, I hate how I stupidly waited for my paycheck to come in before I bought that Shawl Collar patched cardigan I posted.. its now OOS from XS and S, as of this morning...Was available last night

5. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Stopped by a rugby at lunch...26 bucks for a madras shirt cant really beat that.

6. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Nice, I need to move near a RL or Rugby store... this is getting ridiculous...

7. OmniscientCause

Yea its right in the middle of my apt and work 12 min walk either way.

8. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

Eh, the symbols and such are WAY too loud for me. It's avant-garde prep value was destroyed by smearing all of the superfluous rugby stuff.

Then again, I have a negative bias towards faux-team apparel, as it is awkward explaining that it's a fashion item...I never actually played.

9. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

For me that's the beauty of it.

10. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

11. EdwardB

EdwardB Senior member

I own a wool duffle from FW10. Like all Rugby stuff, it fits reasonably well, but isn't worth full price (retail was 400, I paid less than 200 and would hesitate to pay too much more). Quality is about on par with a J. Crew coat I owned previously.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

12. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Coats fit a tad bit bigger than other items. I have a Trenchcoat from a few seasons ago, the reversible herringbone wool/cotton one. It can look swim with the belt tightened, but regular coats tend to allow for layering.

I would assume that the coat will go on sale, its not a limited run item or anything people will go crazy for. Although if you are an XS/S maybe pick it up sooner than later.

I love the collar on the coat, a touch of extra dapperness with that velvet

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

13. OmniscientCause

When I was in Rugby yesterday I was so disapointed with their sport coats. I was going to buy one last year forget the model but it was probably newbury something or other but the quality was just not what I was looking for. Went with Jcrew instead. This was the real turning point for me with rugby, since then (about a year ago) I have seen a drastic change in the brand for the worse. More is focused on branding than on quality. Its a glorified Abercrombie now. But they are still good for a few things just not as much as like 3-4 years ago.

14. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Really their sport coats are lower quality than J Crew? I admit some J Crew items are high quality compared to Rugby items, but Rugby has items that match and exceed J Crews quality. Made in Italy/USA sport coats are pretty good quality for the price, Made in Italy is also all Caruso made and in some cases from fabric used in RLBL in the past.

Though i'm no J Crew aficionado, obviously, I do walk into a J Crew and then walk right out because nothing simply fits or feels like anything I ever buy at Rugby. I try to set bias aside, and its tough sometimes, but when it comes to the Rugby suits vs J Crew suits, I am sure Rugby wins. When it comes to Made in Italy/USA for sport coats, again Rugby wins. Everything else is a toss up, depends on what it is and etc...

I've noticed the overbranding as well. Although I enjoy the 'fake' branding, patches, and counterculture of it all.

15. OmniscientCause

The sportcoats are made from UK tweed that I have been buying.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~30948/30948.jsp

vs

http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=12465961&categoryId=11373427&cp=3138868

And the silk/linen blends from jcrew are better imo as well. Idk maybe its personal preference but of the 3 sport coats Ive bought the last 2 years all have come from jcrew because the rugby options just didnt do it for me. This was when I still had a rugby discount too so it wasnt so much the price difference.