• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rags of the recession

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The article describes how most Americans cut back on clothing and eating out before they cut back on fairly expensive entertainment habits. These priorities show that they do not get much enjoyment from their clothes and their eating out. I think it is sad, and I think some of the blame for this dissatisfaction must lie with the people who have been selling overpriced crap to these people for years. Those Domino's pizzas are disgusting. How can anyone be surprised that people are eager to quit eating them? The same thing goes for the low-quality clothing that gluts most American malls and big-box clothing stores. I am not surprised that most Americans are eager to quit buying clothes.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say a cellphone is necessary, but if you have a cellphone, you probably don't need a landline.

There are a lot of cuts that can be made. I don't have Cable anymore because I probably watch less than 5 hours of TV a week, and the only show that I follow is Lost, which is publicly broadcast anyway (though it kinda sucks watching regular broadcast on my full HDTV). Also, I don't have internet at home anymore because I just use it at my school. And since I'm on campus most of the time anyway, internet is not something I miss at home.

That alone saves me close to $200 a month. It's just a re-evaluation of priorities.

The only thing I hate is the rising price of food. I like to cook, but I've found that eating out is a lot of times cheaper. I don't have much time to cook so a lot of the food I buy go bad if I don't cook it right away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads