• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bodileys Stanhope on the 325 last arrived

IMG_0170.jpg

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm 10.5D US in the barrie last, should I go for 10 UK in the Chiltern (224 last)?

Since no one responded. The 224 last is weird one for me. It's shorter in length with a wider heel than the other C&J lasts. I'm a US8D Barrie and pretty much a UK7E for most C&J lasts (325, 335 and 365). I use to have the Chiltern in UK7E and it was short/tight in the forefoot with a loose heel. I don't think sizing up to a UK7.5E would have solved the problem, and I recently sold them.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since no one responded. The 224 last is weird one for me. It's shorter in length with a wider heel than the other C&J lasts. I'm a US8D Barrie and pretty much a UK7E for most C&J lasts (325, 335 and 365). I use to have the Chiltern in UK7E and it was short/tight in the forefoot with a loose heel. I don't think sizing up to a UK7.5E would have solved the problem, and I recently sold them.
Thanks! I appreciate the insight

Bayou Tiger

Reaction score
Here's a quick shout out to my Ross boots. They held up quite well last week, tromping around at Universal Studios Orlando theme park. Early in the trip, they supplanted my tennis shoes as my most comfortable footwear option, so I wore the boots a few days in a row.

When I got the Ross boots, their high volume was off putting, and I wasn't a fan of the suede collars catching on the inside of my jeans (I don't roll up jeans).

However, I have an arsenal of socks and insoles to dial in a good fit as needed. It turns out with the runner's insoles and boot socks below the fit is flawless on the Ross boots.

And, on long days the suede collar is a benefit. It is definitely added comfort, even with boot socks, versus a boot like the Islay or Coniston.

Overall, the Ross boots are breaking in quite well, and with boot socks and insoles are about as comfortable as my slippers.

20211129_220337.jpg

080398_1_1000x.jpg

003ee94abc6d7ce78b261a1dc16b7a7a841def06_1080x.png

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also feel the 224 last is shorter than my other shoes in the same size.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Regarding the earlier discussion of US vs. UK sizing from the collaborators - does anyone know if a 9D Coniston (325 last) from Barney's of New York would be the 8E UK? Doing some web research suggests that this may not be such a simple answer. Thanks!

Last edited:

DanBavaria

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I need some new boots and currently consider either/and the Snowdon and the Coniston. Unfortunatelly, the Snowdon is quite hard to get in Germany as none seems to have them in stock or seems to even sell those shoes online. Thus a few points before ordering online I guess you could help me:

1. The pair of Conistons I have tried is a 9,5 UK. Normally I wear 9 UK (Dinckelacker, Church, AE etc.) and am a littel suppriesed as the Conistons are a little narrow in the rist area. The lenght however is fine. How much does the country grain stretch in the rist?

In addition: I would like to wear the booths in cold weather with snow, so I might need thicker socks - which would require sizing up even more then...

2.Snowdon: I read that most users have the same sizes for both shoes. As length seems not the issue for me, do the Snowdons stretch / break in the same way or are they more roomy in the rist area?

Any suggestion highly appreciared!

Many thanks and stay healthy
Daniel

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Regarding the earlier discussion of US vs. UK sizing from the collaborators - does anyone know if a 9D Coniston (325 last) from Barney's of New York would be the 8E UK? Doing some web research suggests that this may not be such a simple answer. Thanks!
I have two pairs of Barney’s Conistons in US10.5 and they are UK9.5.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I have two pairs of Barney’s Conistons in US10.5 and they are UK9.5.

Thank you @zippyh. Would you consider the width of the Barney's model to be consistent with the UK sizes? In other words, it has not been narrowed for a US market? Thus your Barney 10.5/UK9.5s are the E width by the UK standard? Having adequate width in the forefoot is everything for me in the 325.

I notice that the C&J v. Barney's sizing translation has been debated ad nauseam in some older forums, but never clearly resolved.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you @zippyh. Would you consider the width of the Barney's model to be consistent with the UK sizes? In other words, it has not been narrowed for a US market? Thus your Barney 10.5/UK9.5s are the E width by the UK standard? Having adequate width in the forefoot is everything for me in the 325.
Yeah they feel like normal UK E width Conistons. I have a pair of UK/E sized Conistons and the fit the same.
The Barney’s sizing weirdness I’ve experienced has been with special models unique to Barney’s. The two Conistons I have from them were available from other retailers.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J Molton bought from Bodiley's. My 5th pair from Bodiley's, always impeccable service.

In my shoe wardrobe, compared with some venerable round toe models, the Molton shows an unusal square toebox. This boot in other leather would be a tad edgy but the rough out suede keeps things in balance and the protuding welt gives lots of character.

The 336 behaves (for my feet) similar to the 325 (Pembroke and Coniston). They arrived to my office to avoid spousal custom and wore them all day, no break in needed, very comfortable. This chukka will be used a lot.

Thank you @RogerKaputnik for helping me spending my money wisely.

IMG_4221.JPG
IMG_4222.JPG
IMG_4223.JPG
IMG_4224.JPG
IMG_4225.JPG
IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4227.JPG

Last edited:

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J Molton bought from Bodiley's. My 5th pair from Bodiley's, always impeccable service.

In my shoe wardrobe, compared with some venerable round toe models, the Molton shows an unusal square toebox. This boot in other leather would be a tad edgy but the rough out suede keeps things in balance and the protuding welt gives lots of character.

The 336 behaves (for my feet) similar to the 325 (Pembroke and Coniston). They arrived to my office to avoid spousal custom and wore them all day, no break in needed, very comfortable. This chukka will be used a lot.

Thank you @RogerKaputnik for helping me spending my money wisely.

View attachment 1713454 View attachment 1713455 View attachment 1713456 View attachment 1713457 View attachment 1713458 View attachment 1713459 View attachment 1713460

Congrats on the Moltons. Bodiley's sent mine a few weeks ago, and they've quickly become my most worn pair of shoes or boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads