• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good find. Wasn't aware CJ did patent leather. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be opting for patent leather as I will rarely ever wear except with the tuxedo. Calf will likely get more wear and provide versatility.
That's true. I only recommended it because you mentioned classic tuxedo outfit, so that's what immediately comes to mind.

Last edited:

GuP

Reaction score

That's true. I only recommended it because you mentioned classic tuxedo outfit, so that's what immediately comes to mind.

I debated as well. Was initially considering patent leather pumps vs oxfords but now between calf whole cut vs cap toe oxford. Whole cuts just seem a bit...long? Regardless, I think I will most likely spring for cap toes.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gents, because of the sizing issue I'm going to drop the price of my 348 Highburys further for members of this thread who know C&Js and can compare to their own to ascertain size. PM me if interested.

Note again that they are marked "9/4" on the inside in the footbed, and it has been suggested to me that these are a 10US, possibly narrow (on my normal feet they feel fine but I'm 9US). The sole measurement is 12.25 inches long which corresponds to a measurement Fred G. Unn made of his 9UKs earlier in the thread. So, I am inclined to agree that these are a 10 US.

If your 348s have the same inside size markings and you are interested in a beautiful shoe, I can provide more direct measurements to ascertain width.

Bump:

Can anyone with 348s in 9 or 10 US and UK give a hand on measurements?

jssdc

Reaction score
Bump:

Can anyone with 348s in 9 or 10 US and UK give a hand on measurements?

Tweedy I have size 9UK Lowndes (my first pair of C&J, and as I've since found 3/4-1 full size to big for me, demonstrating that unfortunately SA's don't always know their stuff), and will try and put up sole measurements when I'm home tonight.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@selvedge8tweed Thanks for providing measurements you received from another member (and to that member whoever you are!).

Thanks @jssdc I look forward to your data. Do let me know if they shoes are from a UK or US source (seems like it might make a difference).

The more data I collect, the less I understand! I have conflicting data now :(

Some 348 10US measure 12.75, others measure 12.25 inches...Just trying to figure out whether a marked 9 from Barneys is in fact a 9US (so something I might keep should no one pick up the Highburys).

Thanks again all

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@selvedge8tweed
  Thanks for providing measurements you received from another member (and to that member whoever you are!).  

Thanks @jssdc
 I look forward to your data. Do let me know if they shoes are from a UK or US source (seems like it might make a difference).

The more data I collect, the less I understand! I have conflicting data now :(

​Some 348 10US measure 12.75, others measure 12.25 inches...Just trying to figure out whether a marked 9 from Barneys is in fact a 9US (so something I might keep should no one pick up the Highburys).

Thanks again all

Barneys sizing = :brick:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Barneys sizing =
baldy[1].gif

Yes, agreed.

Still, it would be good to have measurements to resolve issues for others in future. My problem is that I can't tell if the 348 is just more elongated than other TTS shoes or if I just have something that is one size too large.

If the former, I could be happy with the shoes, a dark brown derby if it's never sold. If it is 10, then clear incentive to trade them in.

At this point, I have evidence that they are 10USs and evidence that they are 9USs, based on measured sizes reported to me through various sources.
baldy[1].gif

If the shoes even vaguely interest you, PM me and we can work out measurements comparing to your shoes (9s or 10s).

To members of this thread, at this point, I'll let them go at a typical Barneys sales price for 348s + shipping if by PAYPAL gift (I'll confirm shipping cost). Or $15 more on top of that by regular Paypal. See link below. Anyway, would be a great deal.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Going today to try on in person. Wonder if my eye can tell the difference between hand grade vs main

GuP, if you are going to the mainline store, could you ask them about the meaning of the "footbed" stamped sizes. In some shoes, there are markings like "9" and "4". Cheers.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GuP, if you are going to the mainline store, could you ask them about the meaning of the "footbed" stamped sizes. In some shoes, there are markings like "9" and "4". Cheers.

the letter on top (such as 9) is the size for which the insole was made originally, and the number below that indicates width: 4 is uk D (or US C), 5 is UK E (US D), 6 is UK F (US E)

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the letter on top (such as 9) is the size for which the insole was made originally, and the number below that indicates width: 4 is uk D (or US C), 5 is UK E (US D), 6 is UK F (US E)

Thanks, another member helped me with that. I was set with that but then, and I have to locate it, but an earlier post made me think that when produced for the US market, the "9" would indicate the US size, but when produced for the UK market, it indicates the UK size.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, another member helped me with that. I was set with that but then, and I have to locate it, but an earlier post made me think that when produced for the US market, the "9" would indicate the US size, but when produced for the UK market, it indicates the UK size.

the insoles are already stamped before lasting, so I doubt there's a difference. They might have used a larger insole and trimmed it after (I have sz 10.5 UK C&J's which say 11 stamped on the insole, but are clearly not 11 UK )

Either way, your best bet is to email C&J and ask why your insole has said numbers. I have heard they are generally helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads