• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
woo hoo!

jjviegas

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome Fred! I'm more about reading than writing, anyway I'll try to post more.

matsuito

Reaction score
Hi,
I got my Conniston since 9 months and for the first time I wear them during 15 min under heavy rain....and back home I discovered that the interior lining was wet !

Is it normal? Is the Conniston considered as a waterproof boot or not?

Which model of C&J is truly waterproof according to your experience?

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nah they're not that water proof, last time i was in a flood of about half a foot of water, and i definitely got really wet. never would of happened if i had goretex hiking boots, so i decided not to wear the connistons when doing a 12 mile hike again!

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I got my Conniston since 9 months and for the first time I wear them during 15 min under heavy rain....and back home I discovered that the interior lining was wet !

Unless they have gortex lining no boots are truly waterproof.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Your shoes will be fine. Put shoe trees in them and let them sit for a few days to dry.

Do not place them near a heat source to help dry as this can ruin the leather.

Once they are dry brush them and they will be as good as new.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I expect to experience the wet interior lining with Snowdon if worn during heavy rain and snow? As I understood it's the Veldtschoen construction, connoting it's waterproof. But would like to hear a first hand thoughts.

I need a hardcore winter boot, more than a fancy looking and I have a feeling Coniston is more of a autumn and early winter type of boot.

This photo made me fall in love for Snowdon.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mate they will be water resistant to some extent, but no boots can be entirely waterproof unless they're proper goretex/equivalent.

Try filling up your sink and putting your snowdens in the sink, and im sure after a while the water will seep through.

MDeKelver

Reaction score
I need a hardcore winter boot, more than a fancy looking and I have a feeling Coniston is more of a autumn and early winter type of boot.

Walking to the bus in a foot of slush and snow (as of today, this is my life until the end of March) just get a pair of Sorel Caribou boots and carry your shoes in a bag.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I expect to experience the wet interior lining with Snowdon if worn during heavy rain and snow? As I understood it's the Veldtschoen construction, connoting it's waterproof. But would like to hear a first hand thoughts.

This photo made me fall in love for Snowdon.

I have taken these through snow storms and 6 inches of water in fields and have not had a single issue.

CTBrummie

Reaction score

Should I expect to experience the wet interior lining with Snowdon if worn during heavy rain and snow? As I understood it's the Veldtschoen construction, connoting it's waterproof. But would like to hear a first hand thoughts. I need a hardcore winter boot, more than a fancy looking and I have a feeling Coniston is more of a autumn and early winter type of boot. This photo made me fall in love for Snowdon.
I've waded through marshes in veldt boots and had no issue. The only caveat I'd have is that all modern veldt boots only have half-bellows tongues which limits the depth to which your feet can be submerged - water can seep around the sides of the tongue if it splashes around. Older models, such as Lotus or Tricker's veldts (back from when they actually made them) have full bellows tongues which make them much meaner beasts. Lotus used to advertise their boots as 'guaranteed waterproof' and Cordings of Piccadilly had a pair on display in a tank of water for many years.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank You very much PCK1 and CTBr.

The military influenced shape of the vamp, which has the 'moustache' shape made these boots handsome in my book. The lines are clean&simple and I find a lot of places where I can rest my eye ..

They somehow remind me of a much expensive EG Galway but are reasonably priced at 475 GBP and are cheaper more than double. The Commando sole looks really solid too. I feel they will give me a lot of fun this winter in a snowy covered field.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads