• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

embromides

Reaction score
"Hi there. Sorry to reference such an old post but I was looking through the thread for info on the Purdey boots and saw your post from October. Did you decide to keep them? If you did then presumably they are getting nicely worn in - how is the leather aging? If you do still have them do you have any photos you could share?" hoit1981

I kept the Purdeys. They are a deep brown shade which I had been looking for and they are on the Coniston last. I said on a posting that the quality is not quite the same standard on my ten year old Conistons - but my Conistons have a much paler, almost buttery shade compared to current darker tan Coniston. Things change and not always for the better. The Birmingham shop people said that the earlier lighter leather was unattainable now.

Disappointingly, the dainite is significantly thiner on the Purdey. I believe Crockett commisison their dainite to their own higher specification.
Having said all that I find them a terrific classy boot.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Conistons:

Snowdons now that they've started to show some wear on the rough-out:

The rough-out is starting to take on that characteristic 'distressed' look that will look amazing in a year or two's time:

And a bonus pic of the winter hat to rule them all, a herringbone flannel trapper hat, lined with shearling, from those purveyors of fine luxury cloth, the Fox Brothers:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
x post

Today

Vintage 60s/70s C&J Ranch hide wingtips

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disappointingly, the dainite is significantly thiner on the Purdey. I believe Crockett commisison their dainite to their own higher specification.

These boots of mine are also made by C&J for Holland & Holland, I love them and the quality is on par if not much better then what I have seen in the C&J shops. I am going to try on another pair of Purdey boots on Friday so I will check out the sole on them.

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score
It's been recommended that I go a half size down from the 9E I wear in the Skye to 8.5E in the Tetbury. Has anyone else sized down 1/2 from other C&J last when stepping into the 348 last?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's been recommended that I go a half size down from the 9E I wear in the Skye to 8.5E in the Tetbury. Has anyone else sized down 1/2 from other C&J last when stepping into the 348 last?

I don't. If it helps, I just measured the soles of my UK9E 348 last Westbournes and they measure approx 31.5 x 11 cm. Obviously the Tetbury is a boot so it may fit differently than an adelaide.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
CTB, thats a great collection further strengthened, great work :nodding:

Picked these up at the factory yesterday and out on virgin walk today

Also out to dinner tonight so suede espressos on the go, pics later

CTBrummie

Reaction score
CTB, thats a great collection further strengthened, great work
nod[1].gif

Picked these up at the factory yesterday and out on virgin walk today

Also out to dinner tonight so suede espressos on the go, pics later

Aha, thank you and consider the compliment returned! What boots are they?

We should time our next trip to the C&J shop on Brum so that we're there at the same time and the delectable Jo can provide us with Earl Grey and idle gossip! I'm popping in on the 27 December by the way, to have a look at the sale stock although I'm not expecting to see anything that tickles my fancy...

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score

"Hi there. Sorry to reference such an old post but I was looking through the thread for info on the Purdey boots and saw your post from October. Did you decide to keep them? If you did then presumably they are getting nicely worn in - how is the leather aging? If you do still have them do you have any photos you could share?" hoit1981

I kept the Purdeys. They are a deep brown shade which I had been looking for and they are on the Coniston last. I said on a posting  that the quality is not quite the same standard on my ten year old Conistons - but my Conistons have a much paler, almost buttery shade compared to current darker tan Coniston. Things change and not always for the better. The Birmingham shop people said that the earlier lighter leather was unattainable now.

Having said all that I find them a terrific classy boot. 

I have my Purdey Islay on the 325 last waiting for me when I get home in 9 days. I hope I'm not disappointed by the quality when open the box. I'll compare the Dainite soles to the ones I had outfitted on my Skyes.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Aha, thank you and consider the compliment returned! What boots are they?

We should time our next trip to the C&J shop on Brum so that we're there at the same time and the delectable Jo can provide us with Earl Grey and idle gossip! I'm popping in on the 27 December by the way, to have a look at the sale stock although I'm not expecting to see anything that tickles my fancy...

Now that sounds like a good idea. The logistics are difficult in that could be out, what time might you be there?

It is a wonderful place to pass the time of day

Re the boots, I've been after black dainite for some time. Obviously Tetbury fitted bill but too close to my Chelseas. Seen this and sold as samples, though I have my suspicions:- Barnwell. Important thing is they fit great and different again to everything else I have. Really pleased with em

Compliments to you and yours CTB

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score

I don't. If it helps, I just measured the soles of my UK9E 348 last Westbournes and they measure approx 31.5 x 11 cm. Obviously the Tetbury is a boot so it may fit differently than an adelaide.

Thanks for your advice. I think I will size down half, since I have about an inch extra length on my Skyes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads