** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Ah...makes perfect sense now. I had no idea.

I'm embarrassed to admit that when I read your handle a couple of years back at sufu, I had to google "Brummie" [​IMG].

Upon learning that a Brummie is from Birmingham, I then proceeded to spend lose several hours of my night watching countless youtube videos about the different accents in the UK from Cockney to Brummie to Geordie to Scouse. It was all pretty fascinating stuff.

In any event, thanks for sharing your encyclopedic knowledge of British shoe & boot makers. I find it very interesting.

2. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I didn't see them when you posted them initially. Just had a look now and they do look nice. If you've been wearing them recently ti would be great if you could post some more pics - would like to see how they age.

3. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Could someone please confirm whether the Men's Grain Leather Boot With Dainite Sole on the Purdey website is the exact same boot as the Northcote? Grain as opposed to waxed calf, but the same last (348)? On my computer screen they look very similar, but the Purdey seems to have a bulkier toe area. Or, is it a different boot entirely and I'm just being dim?

4. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Yeah, other English-speaking nations don't have the diversity of accents as we do because we've had a much longer time for local linguistic development in pre-mass media times. Most of the regional accents have associated stereotypes (as every other place) and the Brummie accent is normally perceived by other English people as being slow-witted but trustworthy, haha! Apparently native English speakers from outside the UK find it a good accent to listen to...

Nonetheless, when I was in the States most Americans thought I was Australian due to the twang in my accent...
    There's not much to show but I'll try and get some pics done tomorrow if the weather isn't too vile...
    They look to be a variant on the Coniston, mate. If I remember rightly, the Purdey version of that model is (was?) called the Pickering.

5. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Thanks for the info sir, so you think it's likely a Purdey version of the Consiton, in dark brown scotch grain instead of tan? It looks like that might be the only difference. I'm going to send an email to Purdey asking what last it's on - will see what they say. The more I see it, the more I want it as a winter beater.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

congrats. does C&J require an appt to visit factory shop? dont know why I didnt stop by when I was in northampton earlier this year. i dont know what possessed me to get a haircut from a somali barber when i was in the shoe manufacturing capital

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

7. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

No appointment required,was the haircut worth it? :)

8. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Appointment reqd at EG, Church open house, JL see below and gods own C and j open Friday afternoon 2-5, ordinarily.

Good people at c and j

Thanks pics on way soon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Email C&J direct. Will most likely be faster. It's a good looking boot.
    No, but they're only open on Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings IIRC.

10. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Well, Cleav, looks like we're both burning the midnight oil in the West Midlands!

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I got a kick out of one commenter that described the Birmingham area as "one million people with a speech impediment." I can see how some would mistake it as Australian. The Boston accent isn't exactly lyrical either.

With that said, it was the Scouse accent that is virtually indecipherable to me.

Next C&J for me will be the veldtschoen Snowdon. Is that the only veldtschoen option?

12. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Aha, I'd not heard that but it made me laugh! The Scouse accent is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it but it's one of the great British comedy accents...

13. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Hi there. Sorry to reference such an old post but I was looking through the thread for info on the Purdey boots and saw your post from October. Did you decide to keep them? If you did then presumably they are getting nicely worn in - how is the leather aging? If you do still have them do you have any photos you could share?

Cheers.

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Great choice Patrick, Congrats.

I have a number of other boots myself, but I consider my Islays one of my favorite pairs.

15. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

True CTB though my oil/candle burns early too! Little ones running round the house , Christmas coming!

Pics later, I'd be v interested in your view, should you have the time.

Regarding English accents Gents I'm from Derbyshire so not as stand out as the Cockney, Brummie or Scouse dulcet tones!