• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...(And you know I can't be CrashTestBrummie on here due to length restrictions on names?!)...

Ah...makes perfect sense now. I had no idea.

I'm embarrassed to admit that when I read your handle a couple of years back at sufu, I had to google "Brummie"
biggrin.gif

Upon learning that a Brummie is from Birmingham, I then proceeded to spend lose several hours of my night watching countless youtube videos about the different accents in the UK from Cockney to Brummie to Geordie to Scouse. It was all pretty fascinating stuff.

In any event, thanks for sharing your encyclopedic knowledge of British shoe & boot makers. I find it very interesting.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patrick, great choice for your debut pair of C&J! The Islays are a proper cornerstone of my boot collection and they probably get more consistent wear than any other pair I own apart from possibly my Galways in almond country calf. Every other pair takes my fancy for a while and then something else replaces it for a bit but those two pairs are constants and they both look all the better for it, full stop.

And I agree with the less is more approach to boot care; I don't think mine would look half as good as they do if they were babied and polished to within an inch of their life.

(And you know I can't be CrashTestBrummie on here due to length restrictions on names?!)
Did you not see my pair I posted a few weeks ago? I'm wearing mine with navy chinos, petrol blue moleskins and raw denim as they look too black when paired with a non-blue colour. I think they'll fade though as they get more wear.

One thing to bear in mind with the navy Conistons is that the leather used isn't the usual country calf and was selected so that it kept the grained pattern when lasted in the factory. IMHO the leather actually feels slightly brittle to the touch and I even sent mine back to the factory for checking - they came back with the reassurance that the leather was fine and any future problems would be dealt with as appropriate but that they were confident that there would be none..

I didn't see them when you posted them initially. Just had a look now and they do look nice. If you've been wearing them recently ti would be great if you could post some more pics - would like to see how they age.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone please confirm whether the Men's Grain Leather Boot With Dainite Sole on the Purdey website is the exact same boot as the Northcote? Grain as opposed to waxed calf, but the same last (348)? On my computer screen they look very similar, but the Purdey seems to have a bulkier toe area. Or, is it a different boot entirely and I'm just being dim?

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Ah...makes perfect sense now. I had no idea.

I'm embarrassed to admit that when I read your handle a couple of years back at sufu, I had to google "Brummie"
biggrin.gif

Upon learning that a Brummie is from Birmingham, I then proceeded to spend lose several hours of my night watching countless youtube videos about the different accents in the UK from Cockney to Brummie to Geordie to Scouse. It was all pretty fascinating stuff.

In any event, thanks for sharing your encyclopedic knowledge of British shoe & boot makers. I find it very interesting.

Yeah, other English-speaking nations don't have the diversity of accents as we do because we've had a much longer time for local linguistic development in pre-mass media times. Most of the regional accents have associated stereotypes (as every other place) and the Brummie accent is normally perceived by other English people as being slow-witted but trustworthy, haha! Apparently native English speakers from outside the UK find it a good accent to listen to...

Nonetheless, when I was in the States most Americans thought I was Australian due to the twang in my accent...
I didn't see them when you posted them initially. Just had a look now and they do look nice. If you've been wearing them recently ti would be great if you could post some more pics - would like to see how they age.

There's not much to show but I'll try and get some pics done tomorrow if the weather isn't too vile...
Could someone please confirm whether the Men's Grain Leather Boot With Dainite Sole on the Purdey website is the exact same boot as the Northcote? Grain as opposed to waxed calf, but the same last (348)? On my computer screen they look very similar, but the Purdey seems to have a bulkier toe area. Or, is it a different boot entirely and I'm just being dim?

They look to be a variant on the Coniston, mate. If I remember rightly, the Purdey version of that model is (was?) called the Pickering.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, other English-speaking nations don't have the diversity of accents as we do because we've had a much longer time for local linguistic development in pre-mass media times. Most of the regional accents have associated stereotypes (as every other place) and the Brummie accent is normally perceived by other English people as being slow-witted but trustworthy, haha! Apparently native English speakers from outside the UK find it a good accent to listen to...

Nonetheless, when I was in the States most Americans thought I was Australian due to the twang in my accent...

There's not much to show but I'll try and get some pics done tomorrow if the weather isn't too vile...

They look to be a variant on the Coniston, mate. If I remember rightly, the Purdey version of that model is (was?) called the Pickering.

Thanks for the info sir, so you think it's likely a Purdey version of the Consiton, in dark brown scotch grain instead of tan? It looks like that might be the only difference. I'm going to send an email to Purdey asking what last it's on - will see what they say. The more I see it, the more I want it as a winter beater.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree. Went to the Factory today and some blue beauts (180GBP) but not my size so anguished decision taken out of my hands!

Instead picked up Black grain boots and espresso suede Hallam total cost 300GPB, delighted.

Pics to follow

PS Apparently they are reviewing Factory shop prices in new year as they have been 150-180GBP forever whilst there main prices have risen :butbut:

congrats. does C&J require an appt to visit factory shop? dont know why I didnt stop by when I was in northampton earlier this year. i dont know what possessed me to get a haircut from a somali barber when i was in the shoe manufacturing capital

Last edited:

Torsion

Reaction score

congrats. does C&J require an appt to visit factory shop? dont know why I didnt stop by when I was in northampton earlier this year. i dont know what possessed me to get a haircut from a somali barber when i was in the shoe manufacturing capital

No appointment required,was the haircut worth it? :)

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Appointment reqd at EG, Church open house, JL see below and gods own C and j open Friday afternoon 2-5, ordinarily.

Good people at c and j

Thanks pics on way soon

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info sir, so you think it's likely a Purdey version of the Consiton, in dark brown scotch grain instead of tan? It looks like that might be the only difference. I'm going to send an email to Purdey asking what last it's on - will see what they say. The more I see it, the more I want it as a winter beater.

Email C&J direct. Will most likely be faster. It's a good looking boot.

No, but they're only open on Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings IIRC.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Well, Cleav, looks like we're both burning the midnight oil in the West Midlands!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...the Brummie accent is normally perceived by other English people as being slow-witted but trustworthy, haha! Apparently native English speakers from outside the UK find it a good accent to listen to...

I got a kick out of one commenter that described the Birmingham area as "one million people with a speech impediment." I can see how some would mistake it as Australian. The Boston accent isn't exactly lyrical either.

With that said, it was the Scouse accent that is virtually indecipherable to me.

Next C&J for me will be the veldtschoen Snowdon. Is that the only veldtschoen option?

Last edited:

CTBrummie

Reaction score
I got a kick out of one commenter that described the Birmingham area as "one million people with a speech impediment." I can see how some would mistake it as Australian. The Boston accent isn't exactly lyrical either.

With that said, it was the Scouse accent that is virtually indecipherable to me.

Aha, I'd not heard that but it made me laugh! The Scouse accent is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it but it's one of the great British comedy accents...

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just received delivery of my Purdey scotch grain boots. Not as heavy as my Coniston, thinner dainite sole. I think the leather is not as good quality, but my Coniston were made ten years ago - perhaps standards have slipped, or maybe Purdey contracted Crockett and Jones to downgrade the leather for these. Most of the numbers on the lining match my old Coniston. I'll have a decide if I will keep them. I'm hoping if I hang onto them, they will buff up better than they look now.

carpe diem

Hi there. Sorry to reference such an old post but I was looking through the thread for info on the Purdey boots and saw your post from October. Did you decide to keep them? If you did then presumably they are getting nicely worn in - how is the leather aging? If you do still have them do you have any photos you could share?

Cheers.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've finally joined the club. I've wanted the Islay for a while as I have no dress shoes/boots without a leather sole. I must admit that it was Skyfall that pushed me over the edge. It is Bond, after all.

We all know what they look like, but these are unique in that they are mine
biggrin.gif
. I checked off a handful of "firsts" with these. First English made footwear, scotch grain, dainite sole and the first calfskin footwear in a very long time. Virtually all of my workday footwear is US made shell, Alden & AE.

I'm very surprised at the dainite. It's grippier than I thought (judging from just a few walks with snow on the ground). While I'm fine wearing shell in rain and snow, I always hated how long it took leather soles to dry.

Couldn't be happier with fit and finish. Thanks to all of you for sharing your information over the years, particularly Crat and CrashTestBrummie, two Brits who's images were especially inspiring here and at Sufu.

Great choice Patrick, Congrats.

I have a number of other boots myself, but I consider my Islays one of my favorite pairs.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, Cleav, looks like we're both burning the midnight oil in the West Midlands!

True CTB though my oil/candle burns early too! Little ones running round the house , Christmas coming!

Pics later, I'd be v interested in your view, should you have the time.

Regarding English accents Gents I'm from Derbyshire so not as stand out as the Cockney, Brummie or Scouse dulcet tones!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads