1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior Member

This was the only Bradford in the shop. It fitted so well, I would have bought it regardless of the sole type!

I have taken a comparison photo between the Bradford and a single leather Barker Johnny. The Barker is on a very sleek elongated last and is actually half a size bigger, so it's not a fair comparison really, but it gives you an idea. The double Dainite is noticeably chunkier than single leather. I tend to prefer Dainite as they are better in wet conditions and I am very hard on the tips of leather soles. The rubber city sole would be a good compromise if you want a lower profile and good grip in the winter.

Regarding shoe products on the Bradfords, I tend to use Bick 4 conditioner and Saphir Medal d'Or cream polish and wax polish in dark brown. Horse hair brush between polishing. I tend to buy from the UK site, A fine pair of shoes.

double dainite vs single leather.jpg

double dainite vs single leather.jpg

[EDIT: I can not remove the double image for some reason!]

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

2580B5F1-318F-4DE5-9391-90E08513C803.jpeg E887DD67-65AA-4BF9-8EDF-8C51B903DD80.jpeg Snuff Wingtip boots (Skye); Neat how the sunlight changes the shade

3. Nat Jag

Nat Jag Senior Member

I looked at the Bradford’s when I was getting some dress/formal shoes. I decided the single sole looked better, and would wear in easier. So I purchased the Hallams.

4. MrUnderwood

MrUnderwood Senior Member

@Nat Jag I must admit i opted completely out of Hallams because i tried the Tetburys (same last 348) which was horrible for my more wide feets. Hence i sincerely hope that the Bradfords would be more accommodating for my wider feets. I must admit, i have not tried the 341 last, but i hope they are more roomier.

@EnglishShoes
    What a nice write up. Thank you.

If you would care to comment about fitting of the 341 last aswell i would be grateful. I know that the 224 last is perfect for my feet, and i would reckon that the 341 might be good since they are made for chukkas as well (would guess a more "casual" and not strictly toe cutting fit - like i thought the Tetburys was).

5. EnglishShoes

I have tried a few 348 last shoes but I ended up selling them. I think my foot is slightly wide. The 341 has a narrower heel fit than the 325 (Pembroke), which I prefer. I'm a UK7.5 in most dress shoes (7 in country boots from Trickers and Cheaney 12508) and I remember trying on a UK7 Brecon boot (also 341) which seemed to fit OK. This makes me think the 341 is relatively generous in the mid foot, as it is usually my pinkie toe that gets crushed when I size down in other lasts.

6. saurabh

saurabh Distinguished Member

7. Jaguardragoon

Jaguardragoon Well-Known Member

Galway 2 while I was waiting at the Dentistry
    716E8FC1-7383-45E8-B334-A666A1FF79CE.jpeg

8. Nat Jag

Nat Jag Senior Member

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had visited the C&J factory store Friday as I was in Northampton. You can’t guarantee the shoes you want will be there, so you need to be open minded. I certainly wouldn’t make the journey just to buy shoes. You could be disappointed. I was after some black shoes to complement my Hallams, Semi brogues; malton, Westfield or Westbourne would have been ideal. Sadly they didn’t have any, but I spotted some Edgwares and Merton loafers. I decided the edgwares would be better for my needs. Maybe some suede loafers in the future.

Anyway, I tried to photograph the some ding in the shoes which relegated them to the sub section. My full price hallams ate worse with wear. A worth while visit on this occasion.

ECCC4E3A-11F2-47F0-8066-97D450B8DBA8.jpeg 27A7B091-8F84-4B14-AA71-1616F4A0B3DF.jpeg BB5B1700-8515-4363-8C51-3F3BAF15270D.jpeg

9. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

10. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

That's actually not the shop I was referring to, but it is close to the other stores. There are actually two C&J shops right on Jermyn street. The original smaller shop and the newer looking bigger shop. I actually bought my first pair of C&Js, Drummonds, from the Burlington Arcade store though. Glad you were able to get a good price on the Skyes though.

I had the same internal debate and went with the smaller size between a 7.5 and 8. I usually wear my boots all year round and typically don't wear thicker socks in general. I haven't had issues with dress socks or slightly thicker socks. I have never tried hiking socks in them though. You also have to consider the corkbed may sink a little after you wear them around. I don't think I would have been happy with the larger size and don't think I could have tightened them enough to be as snug as I like my footwear. I feel like if you have to put tongue pads and extra insoles in the fitting of the shoe may just not be for you.

The 341 does definitely feel longer and narrower than the 224 last to me.

11. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Rain in LA today made me play the English country squire. Scotch grain Grasmeres.

IMG_4255.jpg

12. saurabh

saurabh Distinguished Member

Thank you and yes it is. Need to do some maintenance and conditioning on them as haven’t done that in a while.

13. mosy

mosy Distinguished Member

I currently have the Peal & Co. dark brown suede captoe boots on the 240 last in size 9D-US and the Harlech in shell on the 341 in 8E-UK. Both fit well. I ordered the Coniston in pebble grain calf leather on the 325 last in size 8E-UK, and they are a bit on the snug side. Does this make sense? Do some people size up a half size for boots on the 325?

14. EnglishShoes

Very true.

That is part of the joy for me. Never knowing what might be there and you try things you might not have tried in the retail shops. You also get some great and unusual make-ups that you don't see in the catalogue. I always regret not buying a pair of mint green suede double monks (!) which really grew on me after I left the shop.

I have noticed that the prices in the factory shop are increasing all the time though. Those Bradfords I posted cost me £130 and I'm pretty sure the Pembrokes were £150 a year or so later. As shown, £200 seems to be the going rate now.

Don't get me wrong, £200 for C&J with very slight faults is still a bargain. For me though, I think I will change my approach of buying shoes sales and as seconds and just buy the exact shoes I want at full retail.

15. Jaguardragoon

Jaguardragoon Well-Known Member

It’s hard for me to say but I’m sensing some size difference between calf and cordovan. I tried calf Bradfords 7.5E and the cordovan 7E and they fit pretty close with both being easily “snug”. The Peal Co Cordovan boots, I’ve tried were US Size 8D to fit. My Galway 2 in the 325 last are 7.5E. Also, I wear thicker socks for those that I would never fit into my Cordovan Bradford’s.