• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
@EnglishShoes
What a nice pair! Can i ask; regarding the double dainite, is it something that shows - do you regret having those soles? Please show a picture if you got single leather sole besides your Bradfords?

I am debating this very question right now. And because i dont know much about double dainite i am leaning towards single sole (i have the expectations that it would look more professional).

Also, have you been using any cleaning products? They look amazingly good.

This was the only Bradford in the shop. It fitted so well, I would have bought it regardless of the sole type!

I have taken a comparison photo between the Bradford and a single leather Barker Johnny. The Barker is on a very sleek elongated last and is actually half a size bigger, so it's not a fair comparison really, but it gives you an idea. The double Dainite is noticeably chunkier than single leather. I tend to prefer Dainite as they are better in wet conditions and I am very hard on the tips of leather soles. The rubber city sole would be a good compromise if you want a lower profile and good grip in the winter.

Regarding shoe products on the Bradfords, I tend to use Bick 4 conditioner and Saphir Medal d'Or cream polish and wax polish in dark brown. Horse hair brush between polishing. I tend to buy from the UK site, A fine pair of shoes.

double dainite vs single leather.jpg

double dainite vs single leather.jpg

[EDIT: I can not remove the double image for some reason!]

Nat Jag

Reaction score
@EnglishShoes
What a nice pair! Can i ask; regarding the double dainite, is it something that shows - do you regret having those soles? Please show a picture if you got single leather sole besides your Bradfords?

I am debating this very question right now. And because i dont know much about double dainite i am leaning towards single sole (i have the expectations that it would look more professional).

Also, have you been using any cleaning products? They look amazingly good.

I looked at the Bradford’s when I was getting some dress/formal shoes. I decided the single sole looked better, and would wear in easier. So I purchased the Hallams.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
@Nat Jag I must admit i opted completely out of Hallams because i tried the Tetburys (same last 348) which was horrible for my more wide feets. Hence i sincerely hope that the Bradfords would be more accommodating for my wider feets. I must admit, i have not tried the 341 last, but i hope they are more roomier.

@EnglishShoes
What a nice write up. Thank you.

If you would care to comment about fitting of the 341 last aswell i would be grateful. I know that the 224 last is perfect for my feet, and i would reckon that the 341 might be good since they are made for chukkas as well (would guess a more "casual" and not strictly toe cutting fit - like i thought the Tetburys was).

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
I have tried a few 348 last shoes but I ended up selling them. I think my foot is slightly wide. The 341 has a narrower heel fit than the 325 (Pembroke), which I prefer. I'm a UK7.5 in most dress shoes (7 in country boots from Trickers and Cheaney 12508) and I remember trying on a UK7 Brecon boot (also 341) which seemed to fit OK. This makes me think the 341 is relatively generous in the mid foot, as it is usually my pinkie toe that gets crushed when I size down in other lasts.

Nat Jag

Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier post that I had visited the C&J factory store Friday as I was in Northampton. You can’t guarantee the shoes you want will be there, so you need to be open minded. I certainly wouldn’t make the journey just to buy shoes. You could be disappointed. I was after some black shoes to complement my Hallams, Semi brogues; malton, Westfield or Westbourne would have been ideal. Sadly they didn’t have any, but I spotted some Edgwares and Merton loafers. I decided the edgwares would be better for my needs. Maybe some suede loafers in the future.

Anyway, I tried to photograph the some ding in the shoes which relegated them to the sub section. My full price hallams ate worse with wear. A worth while visit on this occasion.

ECCC4E3A-11F2-47F0-8066-97D450B8DBA8.jpeg
27A7B091-8F84-4B14-AA71-1616F4A0B3DF.jpeg
BB5B1700-8515-4363-8C51-3F3BAF15270D.jpeg

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went back to Green Park / Mayfair area yesterday morning prior to flying home later in day. Stopped in to the Burlington Arcade store, the smaller one you mentioned.

It was great. First stopped in, saw some stuff I liked including one boot last of its kind, in my size. But then left to stop at Selfridges, which actually had one shoe in my size on clearance. A reddish brown Yeovil, I think made for them model from a few years ago. It was 200 gbp and fit perfectly.

But I had the boot from the CJ store in the Arcade on my mind so went back. It fit great, and next thing you know I bought the priciest shoe I've ever paid for. Skye II in Dark Brown Shell Cordovan.

Had them ship it which worked out to be about the same price. Can't wait to get it, I fell in love with it in first wear. My size, their last in the store for that discontinued model. It was on sale, all in all paid about $700, no complaints.

Will post some pics when I get them. Didn't go back to buy the Yeovil, in my head I put the money from that into this. But that was the first time trying on CJ shoes, only own boots, and they were great. Maybe I'll call them today haha to see if they'll ship.

That's actually not the shop I was referring to, but it is close to the other stores. There are actually two C&J shops right on Jermyn street. The original smaller shop and the newer looking bigger shop. I actually bought my first pair of C&Js, Drummonds, from the Burlington Arcade store though. Glad you were able to get a good price on the Skyes though.

Hi all, I have a query regarding C&J sizing. I picked up a Coniston boot in 6.5 recently, fit well in store when I tried on with normal dress socks. Unfortunately, when I tried them at home with slightly thicker winter socks (Uniqlo Heattech ones, they're not even that thick..), the toes had barely any room and my right pinky toe got pinched - it wasnt painful but uncomfortable.

For comparison I have the Tetbury (348 last) in size 7 that needs an insole + tongue pad, and used to have the Skye 3 (335 last) in size 7 which had a lot of heel slip on one foot I ended up selling it. I also have the Camberley (348 last) in 6.5 which I can only wear with thin socks.

My feet measurements in store were inbetween 6.5 and 7, normal width.

What do people recommend in such situations? Size up to accomodate the bigger foot and compromise with insoles? Or expect the leather to stretch on the smaller size (or is this a myth)??

If it helps I also have the Loake Chester in 6.5 which is very comfortable, the AS Cambridge and Cheaney Tweed C both in 7 which fits very well.

@Technica
I reckon a boot would mostly be worn in the cold months hence you would need warmer socks. Therefore i would recommend sizing up to 7, and adjust/test with insole if you ever need to purely be wearing light socks. Again, i have done this and

i have never needed an extra insole, just had to tighten the boots just a tad bit more.
I had the same internal debate and went with the smaller size between a 7.5 and 8. I usually wear my boots all year round and typically don't wear thicker socks in general. I haven't had issues with dress socks or slightly thicker socks. I have never tried hiking socks in them though. You also have to consider the corkbed may sink a little after you wear them around. I don't think I would have been happy with the larger size and don't think I could have tightened them enough to be as snug as I like my footwear. I feel like if you have to put tongue pads and extra insoles in the fitting of the shoe may just not be for you.

@Nat Jag I must admit i opted completely out of Hallams because i tried the Tetburys (same last 348) which was horrible for my more wide feets. Hence i sincerely hope that the Bradfords would be more accommodating for my wider feets. I must admit, i have not tried the 341 last, but i hope they are more roomier.

@EnglishShoes
What a nice write up. Thank you.

If you would care to comment about fitting of the 341 last aswell i would be grateful. I know that the 224 last is perfect for my feet, and i would reckon that the 341 might be good since they are made for chukkas as well (would guess a more "casual" and not strictly toe cutting fit - like i thought the Tetburys was).

The 341 does definitely feel longer and narrower than the 224 last to me.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rain in LA today made me play the English country squire. Scotch grain Grasmeres.

IMG_4255.jpg

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently have the Peal & Co. dark brown suede captoe boots on the 240 last in size 9D-US and the Harlech in shell on the 341 in 8E-UK. Both fit well. I ordered the Coniston in pebble grain calf leather on the 325 last in size 8E-UK, and they are a bit on the snug side. Does this make sense? Do some people size up a half size for boots on the 325?

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier post that I had visited the C&J factory store Friday as I was in Northampton. You can’t guarantee the shoes you want will be there, so you need to be open minded....

Very true.

That is part of the joy for me. Never knowing what might be there and you try things you might not have tried in the retail shops. You also get some great and unusual make-ups that you don't see in the catalogue. I always regret not buying a pair of mint green suede double monks (!) which really grew on me after I left the shop.

I have noticed that the prices in the factory shop are increasing all the time though. Those Bradfords I posted cost me £130 and I'm pretty sure the Pembrokes were £150 a year or so later. As shown, £200 seems to be the going rate now.

Don't get me wrong, £200 for C&J with very slight faults is still a bargain. For me though, I think I will change my approach of buying shoes sales and as seconds and just buy the exact shoes I want at full retail.

Jaguardragoon

Reaction score
I currently have the Peal & Co. dark brown suede captoe boots on the 240 last in size 9D-US and the Harlech in shell on the 341 in 8E-UK. Both fit well. I ordered the Coniston in pebble grain calf leather on the 325 last in size 8E-UK, and they are a bit on the snug side. Does this make sense? Do some people size up a half size for boots on the 325?

It’s hard for me to say but I’m sensing some size difference between calf and cordovan. I tried calf Bradfords 7.5E and the cordovan 7E and they fit pretty close with both being easily “snug”. The Peal Co Cordovan boots, I’ve tried were US Size 8D to fit. My Galway 2 in the 325 last are 7.5E. Also, I wear thicker socks for those that I would never fit into my Cordovan Bradford’s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics