• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quilted Jackets

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saw this recently in a Charles Tyrwhitt catalogue, GBP 129 at the moment.  Looks good, might see if I can find it in one of their stores to take a look at.

Navy Quilted Coat

I ordered this jacket in two sizes and am returning. The 40" was way too tight in the shoulders and the 42" was too big everywhere else. The fabric is also heavy and it doesn't lay well on the body. Looks boxy. It's a shame no one else makes anything like the Boggi nor Mandelli jackets. Those are amazing.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ordered this jacket in two sizes and am returning. The 40" was way too tight in the shoulders and the 42" was too big everywhere else. The fabric is also heavy and it doesn't lay well on the body. Looks boxy. It's a shame no one else makes anything like the Boggi nor Mandelli jackets. Those are amazing.

polo rl

ive seen a bunch of liddesdales and variants in person... for some reason theyre very popular in istanbul. its not "shapely" enough if youre looking for the SC look.

the polo is nice

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burberry makes a few decent looking ones but kinda sucks they're only in black

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

polo rl
ive seen a bunch of liddesdales and variants in person... for some reason theyre very popular in istanbul. its not "shapely" enough if youre looking for the SC look.
the polo is nice

Thanks for the tip. The RL quilted SC went on sale yesterday. Just bought 2, will keep the better fitting. Including an additional 10% code it came to $250/ea. Nice.

1318074141-29377700.jpg

mtmindc

Reaction score

Originally Posted by TRINI
sport1.jpg

Lately, I have been interested where to get a quilted sportcoat much like this.
What's the etiquette on wearing a quilted sportcoat like this indoors, say to a theatre or at the dinner table? I just purchased one - it's tailored close to the body, has the button configuration and lapels of a sportcoat, and looks good with a shirt and tie. I want to make sure that in terms of etiquette - when a jacket is preferred/required - it would be more akin to a wool sportcoat than a Barbour or Lavenham jacket. Or is that a stretch?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What's the etiquette on wearing a quilted sportcoat like this indoors, say to a theatre or at the dinner table? I just purchased one - it's tailored close to the body, has the button configuration and lapels of a sportcoat, and looks good with a shirt and tie. I want to make sure that in terms of etiquette - when a jacket is preferred/required - it would be more akin to a wool sportcoat than a Barbour or Lavenham jacket. Or is that a stretch?

i would not. it's outerwear.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I have only ever had one quilted "SC." Personally I treated it more like a jacket and less like a SC. I generally wore a button-front and a sweater underneath and took the jacket off each time I entered a building (as one would with a piece of outerwear). While I like the more polished look/formality of the "SC" cut, I don't think of it as a true piece of tailored clothing.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have only ever had one quilted "SC." Personally I treated it more like a jacket and less like a SC. I generally wore a button-front and a sweater underneath and took the jacket off each time I entered a building (as one would with a piece of outerwear). While I like the more polished look/formality of the "SC" cut,[COLOR=FF00AA] I don't think of it as a true piece of tailored clothing[/COLOR].

it ain't!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Agreed. Though the Mandelli is a work of art in its own right.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burberry, but Burberry Prorsum:
i-TxGwvxS-L.jpg

A bit pricier, however.

That's a great jacket. Burberry gets a lot of hate but I have a London short duffel that I really enjoy. Looking to pick up a Prosrum trench in the spring.

Ceerial

Reaction score
Can anyone identify the jacket this guy is wearing? Or a jacket that looks similar?_

I would be forever grateful
cheers.gif

Jigg

Reaction score
agreed
0K451Wnavy.jpg

the liddesdale is not too dissimilar either
735PFHocn.jpg

while we're on coats i found this really nice aethestics from Brooks... too bad the jacket is nylon
FJOGhkNgonJqiudCipCS.png

Where can I find the Liddesdale in NYC? Any idea what it's going to run?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics