• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Surprisingly Nice Jacket at H&M

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting aside the question of whether this jacket actually fits well, this thread raises a pet peeve of mine. "OMG! Everyone should rush out and buy this jacket because it fits great!!!"

A jacket might fit you. But just because it fits you, it does not follow that it will fit anyone else. There seems to be this idea floating around that cheap jackets are intentionally designed with random measurements so that everyone can tell right away that they are cheap. Not so much, really.

This is similar to something you see a lot of review sites like Yelp. "I give this restaurant five stars because it is right around the corner from my house!" Yay. That is incredibly useful information and I will certainly rush right over.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I've come to the conclusion on fit of jackets based on price range is that cheaper jackets might have a more generic cut because they are cheaper and need to fit more people. However, an expensive jacket might have a more specific/better fit that fits less people and is priced higher because of it. I might be wrong though.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Putting aside the question of whether this jacket actually fits well, this thread raises a pet peeve of mine. "OMG! Everyone should rush out and buy this jacket because it fits great!!!"

A jacket might fit you. But just because it fits you, it does not follow that it will fit anyone else. There seems to be this idea floating around that cheap jackets are intentionally designed with random measurements so that everyone can tell right away that they are cheap. Not so much, really.

This is similar to something you see a lot of review sites like Yelp. "I give this restaurant five stars because it is right around the corner from my house!" Yay. That is incredibly useful information and I will certainly rush right over.

This jacket has a slim cut and high armholes. It's rare in OTR jackets. That's why I decided it was worth it to post this.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score

What I've come to the conclusion on fit of jackets based on price range is that cheaper jackets might have a more generic cut because they are cheaper and need to fit more people. However, an expensive jacket might have a more specific/better fit that fits less people and is priced higher because of it. I might be wrong though.

No one should knock RTW jackets because the patterns are very, very accurately designed and cut to try and fit as many people as possible. Fit can take a while even with MTM and sometimes bespoke, but will eventually be overcome. An expensive RTW jacket is not really any more personalised in fit terms than a cheaper jacket, though the pattern may have been better designed. An expensive jacket is IMO just more expensive for other reasons (brand name, cloth, particular outlet).

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the PSA. What with the slim, moderately cropped fit, the high-cut armholes, the higher gorge, and the patch pockets, I daresay this jacket looks almost SW&D-acceptable (unfortunately, it's not made by Rag & Bone, nor does it retail for $400+, so it falls short of the mark :) ).

I've found H&M to be mostly disappointing, but there are a few gems, like the really cheap and fairly decent boxer briefs they keep by the registers and those knee-length sweat shorts they sell in the boys section (seriously, great gym wear). I also have that linen suit from several years ago that someone mentioned a few posts up, and while I don't think I'd necessarily buy it again, I'm glad I have it.

Anyway, I'll have to swing by my local H&M(s) to check it out.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what you are saying is that if a jacket fits someone really well, it probably fits (everyone else) really badly. In other words, when someone says the fit is great they really mean that it's terrible.

I can buy that.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... All I wanted to do was give a heads up to people looking for a casual, slim-fit, inexpensive jacket with high armholes. I think there are a lot out there. Cheers!

When I first saw this thread on my phone, yesterday, I immediately connected with this comment as this advice has been given to me by a number of people here. I wanted to reserve comment until I was able to view the pics on a larger screen than my Droid offers. I was hoping to rally to your side.

That you have found this garment that pleases you in fit and appearance pleases me as well but while I truly envy your shirt fits, you appear to have somewhat of a different need than I do in a sport coat. Best wishes for the both of you and plus one on the Adidas
00ae.png
bottoms!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics