PSA: Surprisingly Nice Jacket at H&M

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 29, 2011.

1. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior member

Is everyone finished nitpicking his $29.95 jacket yet? Sheesh.

2. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I don't like being mean, but I think you're delusional. I haven't read the thread, but here are my thoughts.

The shoulders, which are one of the most important parts of the jacket, are absolutely terrible. It rumples up, looks like a sinusoidal wave, and just looks completely odd.

The chest has a weird figure to it. The chest pocket looks too high. The buttoning point is at your nipples. The lapel is very skinny. The whole jacket is short and has a weird line up the sides going to your shoulders.

Stylistically: Buttoning point too high, lapels too skinny, weird tabs coming off the lapels, don't like a single vent, and the seams are very prominent

I'm sorry, but you get what you pay for. We'd be doing a disservice to tell you that it looks good. If you'd rather not get nicer looking sport coats, then continue on with the jacket.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

3. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I don't mind the fit; I do not like the anemic breast pocket.

4. intent

intent Senior member

Lol. You should have posted it under the title "check out my new rlbl" to avoid all the haters. I'm not a fan of the style but all the power to you if you like it.

5. Agatha Crusty

Agatha Crusty Senior member

It does have a bad shoulder line, there's no getting away from that. Even jackets that feel good on can have faults like this, I have one or two myself. The jacket is a little short/tight as well and it will date quickly. But I guess that doesn't matter if you have a more rapid turnover of clothes.

Nothing against L.O.G.G. in general, I have one of their casual shirts on at the moment, but even that had a badly-designed collar which I had to cut down and re-sew. In reality I think they're overpriced for what they are.

If you're happy with it, that's up to you.

6. Superfluous

:facepalm: You probably don't get it either... if you had shown that to most people on here without the brand our reaction would be the same.

7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

The jacket is quite ugly and manifestly cheap but this criticism is ridiculous:

Maybe to your personal standards but they're hardly relevant to anyone else. Look at some RLBL and BBBF and realize you're just wrong.

That said, the button stance is too high for my liking and the seams are ugly.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

Well, not quite. One of my most worn summer pieces is a H&M sand coloured linen suit from 4 years ago. Only problem is that it is fully lined, but it fits and feels great. Not too short, gorge isn't quite as high.

9. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    why did you make this thread?? over here people buy kiton, RLPL, brioni .... you aren't going to blow anyone away with H&M no matter how "good" the fit is

10. Superfluous

yes, people keep buying Brioni and buy the one in my sig :D

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Looks like a short fashion jacket, probably won't be wanting to wear it next year. It's like something from Topman or River Island.

This.

12. Kslim

Kslim Senior member

This PSA turned ugly way too fast.

13. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

I get what acecow is saying here. But I am a bit puzzled given his experience here why he thought this thread would do him or most people on here a service given the borderline absurd dislike of all things mall and mass produced on here.

Most crap sportcoats fit like crap for the young guy who wants to update his wardrobe. How many threads are started here asking for advice for a slim fitting or good first sport jacket that is cheap? These kinds of threads are easily mocked by now.

I haven't been to an H&M store ever, so I don't know what they offer in sport coats as far as variety is concerned, but if they have a variety of colors and patterns and they fit like that, I could easily shop there looking for cheap finds and H&M could be the easy recommendation for people who don't want to spend more than $200 for a "slim, modern" jacket.

14. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

However there are great (somewhat still cheap) alternatives, like J. Crew or Rugby.

15. acecow

acecow Senior member

I never cared for the group think or whatever people call it here. I did mostly agree with it, because it's correct. Whenever I get a chance, I'll post a real picture of this jacket in WAYWRN with a proper shirt and most people will like it. The reason I started this thread was because there are a lot of people who may be interested in cheap, but well-fitting garments. They may not post here, but they will read it and maybe find it useful, because I see a lot of threads with questions from younger guys looking for fashion-forward inexpensive slim-fitting jackets. Of course, I've been here long enough and collected clothing long enough to realize that H&M stuff is crap. I have very expensive suits and sport coats that fit me better than this one, because they've been tailored and re-tailored to the last millimeter. This jacket, however, requires no tailoring, even in the sleeves and can be worn casually. Being a very statistically average body type person, I somehow can never find anything slim-fitting in stores, therefore, I'm sure I'm not alone. Since this jacket fit me well, and it does fit me well, despite people claiming otherwise (I'm not a newbie asking for fit advice, I saw it, I moved in it, I know better), I decided to post it here for others to see. Isn't what this forum is about, at least partly? Lastly, I couldn't find the PSA thread or I'd post it there.