• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
My point is that there is a difference between "dumbed down science" and "stupid" science. Most of what passes for "science" in Prometheus is flat out marsupialed.

Charlize Theron's character yelling "I didn't come half a billion miles for this!" is a great example of the latter - half a billion miles from earth would put them somewhere in the range of Jupiter's orbit, rather than a different star system. It's a stupid, stupid, stupid mistake. How hard would it have been for them to Google "how many miles are in a light year?" If you're making a SCIENCE fiction movie, at least pay attention to the basic stuff!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
^ thanks, I had a good laugh reading that. It also led me to this review, which captures my sentiments perfectly:

http://www.locusmag.com/Reviews/201...-dna-and-half-a-brain-a-review-of-prometheus/

...one of his characteristic themes, observed in Alien, Blade Runner, and this film, is the negative impact of large, greedy corporations on all human endeavors, and the weaknesses of Prometheus might be said to illustrate that even an enormously talented director may prove unable to overcome the negative impact of the large, greedy corporations that now govern the production of science fiction films.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My point is that there is a difference between "dumbed down science" and "stupid" science. Most of what passes for "science" in Prometheus is flat out marsupialed.
Charlize Theron's character yelling "I didn't come half a billion miles for this!" is a great example of the latter - half a billion miles from earth would put them somewhere in the range of Jupiter's orbit, rather than a different star system. It's a stupid, stupid, stupid mistake. How hard would it have been for them to Google "how many miles are in a light year?" If you're making a SCIENCE fiction movie, at least pay attention to the basic stuff!

THIS.

When her ass said half a billion miles I actually facepalmed in the theater.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't remember her saying that, but that is an inexcusable bit of crap writing. Quite unbelievable in fact. Again it goes back to the pictures of Ridley Scott staring at the Engineer's make up and going into all that detail of effects, and yet not even the basics of the script...

^ thanks, I had a good laugh reading that. It also led me to this review, which captures my sentiments perfectly:
http://www.locusmag.com/Reviews/201...-dna-and-half-a-brain-a-review-of-prometheus/
...one of his characteristic themes, observed in Alien, Blade Runner, and this film, is the negative impact of large, greedy corporations on all human endeavors, and the weaknesses of Prometheus might be said to illustrate that even an enormously talented director may prove unable to overcome the negative impact of the large, greedy corporations that now govern the production of science fiction films.

Imatlas, that is a brilliant observation in your quote!!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I saw it in IMAX 3D and was really blown away. I'd see it in a theater, unless you're really indifferent to the whole thing.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I saw it in IMAX 3D and was really blown away. I'd see it in a theater, unless you're really indifferent to the whole thing.

Is it full 3D? Like Avatar 3D? Anyone else see it in 3D?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm not sure what "full 3D" means - I mean, nothing actually left the screen and flew around the room!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'm not sure what "full 3D" means - I mean, nothing actually left the screen and flew around the room!

Well god damn it, I'm out!

I meant actually made in 3D, like Avatar, or converted to 3D like so many of the other 3D movies. Harry Potter would be a good example.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
It was shot in 3D, but doesn't necessarily take full advantage of the medium. I definitely felt like much of the time it seemed 2D, but in certain scenes it was outstanding (the alien computer UI, for example).

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score

So is this worth seeing in the theater or is it best to wait for dvd?

Theater. People may complain about the script, but I haven't heard anyone complain about the visuals. They are amazing.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Theater. People may complain about the script, but I haven't heard anyone complain about the visuals. They are amazing.

+1, if it's a movie you want to see, you might as well have the optimal experience and the visuals are impressive enough where the theater experience will make a difference.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only seen two movies in 3d in this century -- avengers and prometheus. Avengers I just had a headache and was regretting paying the extra $$ for 3d. Prometheus it was incredible.

BTW welcome back ramBRO!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads