• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I remember liking Event Horizon a lot more when it came out, then when I re-watched it a short while back. Film doesn't really hold up.

Nope. You're right about Pitch Black though - it's held up very well. However, the Chronicles of Riddick sucked donkey dick.

Last edited:

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the end of the first Alien film I felt emotionally invested in the health and welfare of every human onboard. I can largely say the same thing for the Aliens crew with the exception of the company man. Constrast that with the crew of this movie...
It's almost as if the writers and Ridley are completely out of touch with the allure of the original film.

Exactly as I said. The acting wasn't bad in Prometheus it was the characters. The characters were just flat out stupid, annoying, or useless. Thus you can't connect with them and therefore you don't give a **** about them dying. No one wanted anyone on the Nostromo to die, except for maybe the other female character.

I doubt 30 min of extra film can save this film from what it is. Hopefully the sequel answers things much better. Also Sunshine is pretty good.

E TF

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think it's really fair to judge the acting in Prometheus, given the flaws in the writing, direction and and so on. The actors were probably doing what they could with the material they were given.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now we know what David said to the Engineer:

http://thebioscopist.com/2012/06/20/the-linguistics-of-prometheus-what-david-says-to-the-engineer/

The line that David speaks to the Engineer (which is from a longer sequence that didn’t make the final edit) is as follows:

/ida hmanəm aɪ kja namṛtuh zdɛ:taha/…/ghʷɪvah-pjorn-ɪttham sas da:tṛ kredah/

A serviceable translation into English is:

‘This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life’.

I always assumed David said "I bet you can't rip my head off," but this works too.

Last edited:

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly as I said. The acting wasn't bad in Prometheus it was the characters. The characters were just flat out stupid, annoying, or useless. Thus you can't connect with them and therefore you don't give a **** about them dying. No one wanted anyone on the Nostromo to die, except for maybe the other female character.
I doubt 30 min of extra film can save this film from what it is. Hopefully the sequel answers things much better. Also Sunshine is pretty good.

+100. Although flawed, Sunshine is in my top three and imo, Danny Boyle's most ambitious film.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+100. Although flawed, Sunshine is in my top three and for me, Danny Boyle's most ambitious film.

-Solaris
-Sunshine
-Moon
-Alien/Aliens/Prometheus
-Contact

All great

:slayer:

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now we know what David said to the Engineer:
http://thebioscopist.com/2012/06/20/the-linguistics-of-prometheus-what-david-says-to-the-engineer/
The line that David speaks to the Engineer (which is from a longer sequence that didn’t make the final edit) is as follows:
/ida hmanəm aɪ kja namṛtuh zdɛ:taha/…/ghʷɪvah-pjorn-ɪttham sas da:tṛ kredah/
A serviceable translation into English is:

‘This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life’.

I always assumed David said "I bet you can't rip my head off," but this works too.

A good link in there talking about 6 elements of the film - creationism at the beginning, how the black liquid at the start is different from the Black Goo on LV 223, and a theory that the Goo was not a weapon, rather a means to push human evolution further by weeding out the weak

aizan

Reaction score
one decent, one pretty kickass.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love The Thing. Really love that film.

Was very suprised that Pitch Black wasn't a bad movie. Pretty good IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads