• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading all this, I am all the more motivated to go see it.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hitler weighs in

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
[VIDEO]
[/VIDEO]

TheDroog

Reaction score
Saw the movie last night. I'm a big Alien fan, both from the movies and the comics, and overall I really liked it -- it adds significantly to the xenomorph mythology and poses some nice philosophical questions about life and death. However, as that awesome Hitler video above mentions, there are some huge plot holes that could have been so fixed so easily. A few thoughts that might not have come up yet:
1. I love the rapid mutation of the Engineers' organisms: This has been alluded to in the other films, as the aliens always derive characteristics from their hosts (eg. dog-alien, Pred-alien). But this film raises the ante. In Dr. Shaw's case, the worms reproduce into a squid that reproduces into the first "alien." This suggests that mutation is fundamental to Engineer DNA and their bioweapons' DNA. These things, if unleashed into any environment, would survive. It also gives context to the opening scene, when the Engineer sacrifices himself, releasing his DNA to mutate and form all the world's creatures. Pretty nifty.
2. I also love the theme of death being the first step of life. The opening scene is rich in symbolism, and serves as a microcosm of the entire xenomorph life cycle as we know it.
3. The Engineers are modern humans to the nth degree. Like us, they can create instruments of life (terraforming) just as easily as they can create instruments of death (aliens). And they do it because the can.
4. Holloway is terrible character. He talks like a total dude, but he's also some hotshot scientist? He looks like he's freaking 26 years old. Bad casting.
5. Guy Pierce's make-up was awful. Why not just hire a really old guy to play Weyland? Bad casting.
6. What kind of doctor is Shaw? She seems to be an archaelogist from the early scenes, but she also know how to operate on herself with complex machinery? What?
7. The geologist and biologist are ridiculous. Great death scene, but they act like morons and are nothing but alien-bait.
8. I actually like the zombie attack scene. Totally unexplained, but I like the idea that the black ooze/worms can infect their prey in more than one way.

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Totally agree. I think that's a much better story arc than the "we created you but you displeased us" theme that is dominating the interpretations. My wish for a sequel is what I stated earlier: the Engineers created humans for nothing but xeno hosts. But I'm 90% sure that's not where the story is going.

Ridley outright stated in interviews that the engineers are evil, so this might be true.

Why were the dead engineers and green holo images running around with the elephant helmets on?

We see when the remaining engineer goes to take off, the elephant trunk breathing tube gets fitted to his face.

Why does he need a respirator for his space travels when humans did not?

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ridley outright stated in interviews that the engineers are evil, so this might be true.
Why were the dead engineers and green holo images running around with the elephant helmets on?
We see when the remaining engineer goes to take off, the elephant trunk breathing tube gets fitted to his face.
Why does he need a respirator for his space travels when humans did not?

Who knows. There were suits in the hallway also.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't the xenomorphs eat parts of the ship to grow faster? I would not be surprised...

In the book Alien Vault, it is thought the original alien ate parts of the Nostromo to grow so fast, and it is thought that fits in well with their biomechanoid physiology.

As for the mutation of the alien and the black goo diagram of development, it's worth noting that there was a large mural of a typical alien on one of ship's walls in Prometheus. To me that suggested the end point evolution of the alien was already known and less chaotic.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kVodv.gif

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

this movie is really nice to look at. Should get nominated and win many artistic Oscars
reminds me of the Planet of the Apes movies for some reason
Michael Fassbender is hot

Fassbender is more classically handsome than hot.

7. The geologist and biologist are ridiculous. Great death scene, but they act like morons and are nothing but alien-bait.

i think very often in hollywood nowadays they deliberately portray characters that are going to be killed off as idiots, jerks, deserving of bad..... the mainstream train of thought seems to be that most people will be too upset if a character that is liked is killed, especially in this case where they are just killed for the sake of showing what the aliens can do. there was no great need, or public service/sacrifice to their death.

its a pisser, but hollywood panders to the average moron most of the time, especially in big budget arenas. at this point when i identify a character like that i almost assume they will die.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hitler video said it best, " a team of idiots on the greatest space mission in history."

If Prometheus didn't have that problem it would be a lot more enjoyable.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads