• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

yeah. the alien in that film was huge. much bigger (like 20 feet tall) compared to the two different types of engineers seen in this film. yes, two different types.
different engineers at the beginning of the movie and end?
beginning:
end:
anyone else notice this?
basically only the alien in hypersleep looked different - the beheaded alien looked the same as the creator alien

In the first pic he is wearing a glorified loin cloth. In the 2nd some kind of spacesuit/uniform. It's the same species. Just wearing different clothes based on the situation.

Quatsch

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the film - especially the visuals and Michael Fassbender's performance. That being said, I can't help but feel like a great opportunity was kind of squandered.

My beef:
1. Holloway was a huge idiot, didn't act like a brilliant scientist/archeologist. The tatooed geologist was even worse as a character because of inconsistency.
2. When they were having the mission briefing someone asks Holloway "ok so we've come here because of some cave paintings?" and he pretty much responds "Ya. Lolz." I mean one or two more lines of dialogue vaguely referencing other finds or ancient engravings with almost indecipherable language. Something.
3. The crew behaves like a bunch of children on the ground, not even observing the professional attention to safety of a McDonald's crew. Don't get me started on the snake petting. That thing looks like death - I don't care if you are some sort of biologist nerd who gets off on crazy new species.
4. The Engineer's murderous rampage. So one of our highly evolved, presumably super-intelligent forebear
wakes up, sees we've taken that invitation they sent us, and then with no words exchanged proceeds to kill every human he can lay hands on? That really doesn't sound like the behavior of a rational being to me. And they got mad and decided to wipe us out because we're too violent?(referencing Mr Scott) Pot, meet kettle. Even the 'we crucified alien Jesus so they decided to destroy us." explanation is wanting to me. I understand he's trying to tie it in to the big themes on deck, but there were far worse things that humanity has done - many of them going on between roughly 1618 and 1945 - and I don't really think the crucifying of a (presumably incognito) Engineer representative (seen by the authorities as a political dissident) really justifies the genocide of an entire specie.

Thats where I think this whole metaphor of self-sacrifice breaks down where the engineers are concerned. Of course a big problem is we're given almost no information about them. But are they noble, intelligent, & self-sacrificing, or did we come by our violent tendencies quite honestly? If the whole point was 'they want to meet their maker, get their wish, and it/they are nothing like we expected/wanted," then I'm fine with that. Thats a good story too.

The film really needed another half hour at least. I don't understand how some of the glaring errors and inconsistencies can have come all the way through on a project like this. Although I loved the film, I, like Mr Weyland, wanted more.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really enjoyed the film - especially the visuals and Michael Fassbender's performance. That being said, I can't help but feel like a great opportunity was kind of squandered.
My beef:
1. Holloway was a huge idiot, didn't act like a brilliant scientist/archeologist. The tatooed geologist was even worse as a character because of inconsistency.
2. When they were having the mission briefing someone asks Holloway "ok so we've come here because of some cave paintings?" and he pretty much responds "Ya. Lolz." I mean one or two more lines of dialogue vaguely referencing other finds or ancient engravings with almost indecipherable language. Something.
3. The crew behaves like a bunch of children on the ground, not even observing the professional attention to safety of a McDonald's crew. Don't get me started on the snake petting. That thing looks like death - I don't care if you are some sort of biologist nerd who gets off on crazy new species.
4. The Engineer's murderous rampage. So one of our highly evolved, presumably super-intelligent forebear
wakes up, sees we've taken that invitation they sent us, and then with no words exchanged proceeds to kill every human he can lay hands on? That really doesn't sound like the behavior of a rational being to me. And they got mad and decided to wipe us out because we're too violent?(referencing Mr Scott) Pot, meet kettle. Even the 'we crucified alien Jesus so they decided to destroy us." explanation is wanting to me. I understand he's trying to tie it in to the big themes on deck, but there were far worse things that humanity has done - many of them going on between roughly 1618 and 1945 - and I don't really think the crucifying of a (presumably incognito) Engineer representative (seen by the authorities as a political dissident) really justifies the genocide of an entire specie.
Thats where I think this whole metaphor of self-sacrifice breaks down where the engineers are concerned. Of course a big problem is we're given almost no information about them. But are they noble, intelligent, & self-sacrificing, or did we come by our violent tendencies quite honestly? If the whole point was 'they want to meet their maker, get their wish, and it/they are nothing like we expected/wanted," then I'm fine with that. Thats a good story too.
The film really needed another half hour at least. I don't understand how some of the glaring errors and inconsistencies can have come all the way through on a project like this. Although I loved the film, I, like Mr Weyland, wanted more.

I saw the movie last night and had the same beef with you on points 1-3. I can overlook 4 because we don't really know the Engineers too well. But Holloway, the geologist, and biologist were really wtf. Fassbender gave off the creepy unemotional act really well.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Regarding the biologist and geologist:

The biologist and geologist were completely unprepared for everything. Remember, they didn't even know what the mission was before they woke up from the extended sleep. I can see them getting unnerved by it all and freaking out.

Last edited:

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score

If the whole point was 'they want to meet their maker, get their wish, and it/they are nothing like we expected/wanted," then I'm fine with that. Thats a good story too.

Totally agree. I think that's a much better story arc than the "we created you but you displeased us" theme that is dominating the interpretations. My wish for a sequel is what I stated earlier: the Engineers created humans for nothing but xeno hosts. But I'm 90% sure that's not where the story is going.

Last edited:

Quatsch

Reaction score

Totally agree. I think that's a much better story arc than the "we created you but you displeased us" theme that is dominating the interpretations. My wish for a sequel is what I stated earlier: the Engineers created humans for nothing but xeno hosts. But I'm 90% sure that's not where the story is going.

This is what I expected that they were going to find out going into the film, and up until around halfway through.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've read the Scott quote before. To me, when he says "we thought it was a little too on the nose," it means they scrapped the idea that JC was an Engineer-representative.
Edit: That's not to say that the Christian motifs weren't plentiful and obvious, though.

thats scott talking about the removal of a direct reference of the engineers sending space jesus to earth, and instead putting in a more subtle reference of "something bad happened 2000 years ago;" otherwise he wouldn't have gone on to further explain the idea as it fits into the film.

Last edited:

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kVodv.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hilarious

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got home from seeing this. So I read that blog post it was a good read and it makes everything fit very nicely, but theres holes in that guys theory and he also seemed to do a lot of reading into it. I was sorely disappointed with this movie. I wanted to like it soo badly but theres just to many holes and inconsistencies. Also the characters are loathsome. I hated everyone except David. In Alien 123 and even 4 I cared about the characters survival (only ripley in 4). In this movie I had no attachment. The other thing which I couldn't stand was all the religiosity. **** religion, **** your worthless cross, and **** JC (who will henceforth be known as space jesus). I watch and like sci-fi to get away from all this jesus freak ****. This movie could have been epic.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got home from seeing this. So I read that blog post it was a good read and it makes everything fit very nicely, but theres holes in that guys theory and he also seemed to do a lot of reading into it. I was sorely disappointed with this movie. I wanted to like it soo badly but theres just to many holes and inconsistencies. Also the characters are loathsome. I hated everyone except David. In Alien 123 and even 4 I cared about the characters survival (only ripley in 4). In this movie I had no attachment. The other thing which I couldn't stand was all the religiosity. **** religion, **** your worthless cross, and **** JC (who will henceforth be known as space jesus). I watch and like sci-fi to get away from all this jesus freak ****. This movie could have been epic.

+ 1

(and haha at Space jesus!)

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this movie is really nice to look at. Should get nominated and win many artistic Oscars
reminds me of the Planet of the Apes movies for some reason
Michael Fassbender is hot

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads