1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Prince Charles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shuman, Nov 14, 2004.

1. PHV

PHV Senior Member

Maybe the people I met are in the minority?
    I would hardly think they are in either sufficient numbers, or of a wide enough background to be fully representative, no. Has anyone got anything to add to this discussion other than to try to lecture me on the rights and wrongs of the answer I gave as to the reason why it is not surprising Prince Charles does not wear a Windsor tie? Regardless of your experience with British people, your relatives heritage, your education or comments of your friends and acquaintances, it remains the answer to the question. If this forum is so adverse to adopting the style peccadilloes of others as standard, simply because they feel the reasons are inadequate, then why does there seem to be so much support for things like working cuff buttons, or leaving buttons undone on certain garments, all of which have origins in the personal preferences of individuals, for reasons that were  individually specific and have little or no practical use or relevance today?
    I did not make any such comparison, and I do not agree that all David Windsor did was "ruffling the feathers of the status quo" To dismiss the seriousness of his actions in British society at that time shows little undertsanding of the political system that we enjoyed and still enjoy, and feel, in comparison with what others have contrived, is far superior. He placed that system in jeopardy.
    I must add that I mean no disrespect to you or your opinions. Perhaps by the reckless persuassions of my youth I am drawn to issues which my heart compells me to question (to again borrow a page from Churchill's book). I'd be interested in hearing through an e-mail or perhaps a private message how historically it did more than temporarily undermine the integrity of the monarchial institution in Britain. Because to my understanding, it was/is part of modern growing pains. The realization of the inevitability of the degradation of the monarchy. I would not mind being proven wrong, or at least guided to a more informed answer.

2. shuman

shuman Well-Known Member

Soooo, Gieves & Hawkes? I just like the cut of his suits, and wondered why someone didnt advise him to wear a thicker knot to fill the gap in his wonderful spread collared shirts. Does G&H use a similar cut to A&S?

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

Maybe the people I met are in the minority?
    I would hardly think they are in either sufficient numbers, or of a wide enough background to be fully representative, no. Has anyone got anything to add to this discussion other than to try to lecture me on the rights and wrongs of the answer I gave as to the reason why it is not surprising Prince Charles does not wear a Windsor tie? Regardless of your experience with British people, your relatives heritage, your education or comments of your friends and acquaintances, it remains the answer to the question. If this forum is so adverse to adopting the style peccadilloes of others as standard, simply because they feel the reasons are inadequate, then why does there seem to be so much support for things like working cuff buttons, or leaving buttons undone on certain garments, all of which have origins in the personal preferences of individuals, for reasons that were  individually specific and have little or no practical use or relevance today?
    I did not make any such comparison, and I do not agree that all David Windsor did was "ruffling the feathers of the status quo" To dismiss the seriousness of his actions in British society at that time shows little undertsanding of the political system that we enjoyed and still enjoy, and feel, in comparison with what others have contrived, is far superior. He placed that system in jeopardy.
    Timothy Dalton.?.? [​IMG] koji

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

No, very different. It's odd that a lifelong customer of A&S would choose Gieves.

5. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Gieves has been cutting uniforms for him for years so he knows the people. If they are making suits for him now they are probably making him any silhouette he wants, to the best of their ability.

Will

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Still, the suits look different. I am not the only one who has noticed. The shoulder is higher, the suits have two darts, and the suit overall is not as soft.

7. EastDevil

EastDevil Member

What exactly is wrong with being born in one of the colonies? You have a problem with that?

8. Phil

Phil Senior Member

Colonies?? what is this 1857 or something? last I checked we were the Empire, you were the colony.

9. Will

He's definitely no longer getting suits from A&S. I simply have no information whether they're coming from Gieves. One can't tell from the warrant, and Gieves has always been so self-promotional that they'd be claiming him if they made him a single suit. Not that it makes any difference to me at all....

Will

10. jester

jester Senior Member

I seem to recall a few years ago reading an article in one of the British papers about this. People had noticed that Charles' suits no longer looked to be A&S, and the consensus was that his suits were being made by Turnbull and Asser. At the time I thought, "His suits were being made by T&A?" I recall that this article had interviewed Savile Row tailors, it wasn't just random comments. I know this is a totally useless recollection, but I'm quite sure that Charles' move away from A&S was being discussed.

11. drljva

drljva Senior Member

At the time, wasn't there also scandalous speculation that PC had acquired a penchant for Kiton? JV

12. Will

There continue to be rumours that he is a Kiton customer as well. But if he wears it, he does so in the privacy of his own castle.

Will

13. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior Member

BTW, if anyone wants to get the Duke of Windsor amplitude without looking like Ronald Reagan, try the "Italian" knot that was mentioned a while ago on another thread.

Just tie a normal four-in-hand, but wrap the broad end one more time before bringing it up, over, and through. Tried this last night with a rather thin old Brooks Bros. tie so it would stand up to a spread collar. (Gf's birthday dinner at Boulevard. Rave reviews--both gustatory and sartorial.)

14. TCN

TCN Distinguished Member

Is this sometimes called a "Prince Albert"? With all due respect to any similarly titled prank phone calls and body piercings. [​IMG]

15. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior Member

TCN--

Sorry, I don't know.

Have you tried it? Would be interested in hearing your opinion.