• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince Charles

PHV

Reaction score
PHV. Perhaps your professor also stated that an argument over whether a nation should feel let down, angry, disappointed and resentful when its head of state, who lives a life of the most fabulous privilege as payment for fulfilling certain duties, fails to carry out those duties because of his intention to commit an act seen widely at the time as unacceptable, can also delve into the realms of the ridiculous by comparing it to which actor happens to be best in a certain role. Fo the record, I am actually a Timothy Dalton fan.
Quote:
Maybe the people I met are in the minority?
I would hardly think they are in either sufficient numbers, or of a wide enough background to be fully representative, no. Has anyone got anything to add to this discussion other than to try to lecture me on the rights and wrongs of the answer I gave as to the reason why it is not surprising Prince Charles does not wear a Windsor tie? Regardless of your experience with British people, your relatives heritage, your education or comments of your friends and acquaintances, it remains the answer to the question. If this forum is so adverse to adopting the style peccadilloes of others as standard, simply because they feel the reasons are inadequate, then why does there seem to be so much support for things like working cuff buttons, or leaving buttons undone on certain garments, all of which have origins in the personal preferences of individuals, for reasons that were  individually specific and have little or no practical use or relevance today?
I'm sorry, but someone ruffling the feathers of the status quo cannot be equated to the genocide of millions.
I did not make any such comparison, and I do not agree that all David Windsor did was "ruffling the feathers of the status quo" To dismiss the seriousness of his actions in British society at that time shows little undertsanding of the political system that we enjoyed and still enjoy, and feel, in comparison with what others have contrived, is far superior. He placed that system in jeopardy.
I must add that I mean no disrespect to you or your opinions. Perhaps by the reckless persuassions of my youth I am drawn to issues which my heart compells me to question (to again borrow a page from Churchill's book). I'd be interested in hearing through an e-mail or perhaps a private message how historically it did more than temporarily undermine the integrity of the monarchial institution in Britain. Because to my understanding, it was/is part of modern growing pains. The realization of the inevitability of the degradation of the monarchy. I would not mind being proven wrong, or at least guided to a more informed answer.

shuman

Reaction score
Soooo, Gieves & Hawkes? I just like the cut of his suits, and wondered why someone didnt advise him to wear a thicker knot to fill the gap in his wonderful spread collared shirts. Does G&H use a similar cut to A&S?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PHV. Perhaps your professor also stated that an argument over whether a nation should feel let down, angry, disappointed and resentful when its head of state, who lives a life of the most fabulous privilege as payment for fulfilling certain duties, fails to carry out those duties because of his intention to commit an act seen widely at the time as unacceptable, can also delve into the realms of the ridiculous by comparing it to which actor happens to be best in a certain role. Fo the record, I am actually a Timothy Dalton fan.
Quote:
Maybe the people I met are in the minority?
I would hardly think they are in either sufficient numbers, or of a wide enough background to be fully representative, no. Has anyone got anything to add to this discussion other than to try to lecture me on the rights and wrongs of the answer I gave as to the reason why it is not surprising Prince Charles does not wear a Windsor tie? Regardless of your experience with British people, your relatives heritage, your education or comments of your friends and acquaintances, it remains the answer to the question. If this forum is so adverse to adopting the style peccadilloes of others as standard, simply because they feel the reasons are inadequate, then why does there seem to be so much support for things like working cuff buttons, or leaving buttons undone on certain garments, all of which have origins in the personal preferences of individuals, for reasons that were  individually specific and have little or no practical use or relevance today?
I'm sorry, but someone ruffling the feathers of the status quo cannot be equated to the genocide of millions.
I did not make any such comparison, and I do not agree that all David Windsor did was "ruffling the feathers of the status quo" To dismiss the seriousness of his actions in British society at that time shows little undertsanding of the political system that we enjoyed and still enjoy, and feel, in comparison with what others have contrived, is far superior. He placed that system in jeopardy.
Timothy Dalton.?.?
wow.gif
koji

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Does G&H use a similar cut to A&S?
No, very different. It's odd that a lifelong customer of A&S would choose Gieves.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Gieves has been cutting uniforms for him for years so he knows the people. If they are making suits for him now they are probably making him any silhouette he wants, to the best of their ability.
Still, the suits look different. I am not the only one who has noticed. The shoulder is higher, the suits have two darts, and the suit overall is not as soft.

EastDevil

Reaction score
Can I presume you are from one of the colonies? Perhaps that is why you fail to understand the importance in our society of the abdication crisis.
What exactly is wrong with being born in one of the colonies? You have a problem with that?

Phil

Reaction score
Colonies?? what is this 1857 or something? last I checked we were the Empire, you were the colony.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He's definitely no longer getting suits from A&S. I simply have no information whether they're coming from Gieves. One can't tell from the warrant, and Gieves has always been so self-promotional that they'd be claiming him if they made him a single suit. Not that it makes any difference to me at all....

Will

jester

Reaction score
I seem to recall a few years ago reading an article in one of the British papers about this. People had noticed that Charles' suits no longer looked to be A&S, and the consensus was that his suits were being made by Turnbull and Asser. At the time I thought, "His suits were being made by T&A?" I recall that this article had interviewed Savile Row tailors, it wasn't just random comments. I know this is a totally useless recollection, but I'm quite sure that Charles' move away from A&S was being discussed.

drljva

Reaction score
I seem to recall a few years ago reading an article in one of the British papers about this. People had noticed that Charles' suits no longer looked to be A&S, and the consensus was that his suits were being made by Turnbull and Asser. At the time I thought, "His suits were being made by T&A?" I recall that this article had interviewed Savile Row tailors, it wasn't just random comments. I know this is a totally useless recollection, but I'm quite sure that Charles' move away from A&S was being discussed.
At the time, wasn't there also scandalous speculation that PC had acquired a penchant for Kiton? JV

kidkim2

Reaction score
BTW, if anyone wants to get the Duke of Windsor amplitude without looking like Ronald Reagan, try the "Italian" knot that was mentioned a while ago on another thread.

Just tie a normal four-in-hand, but wrap the broad end one more time before bringing it up, over, and through. Tried this last night with a rather thin old Brooks Bros. tie so it would stand up to a spread collar. (Gf's birthday dinner at Boulevard. Rave reviews--both gustatory and sartorial.)

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, if anyone wants to get the Duke of Windsor amplitude without looking like Ronald Reagan, try the "Italian" knot that was mentioned a while ago on another thread. Â Just tie a normal four-in-hand, but wrap the broad end one more time before bringing it up, over, and through. Â Tried this last night with a rather thin old Brooks Bros. tie so it would stand up to a spread collar. Â (Gf's birthday dinner at Boulevard. Â Rave reviews--both gustatory and sartorial.)
Is this sometimes called a "Prince Albert"? With all due respect to any similarly titled prank phone calls and body piercings.
wink.gif

kidkim2

Reaction score
TCN--

Sorry, I don't know.

Have you tried it? Would be interested in hearing your opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads