• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

presidential election fashion

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
Am I the only one who is disappointed in the suit choices made by the presidential candidates? Here's a picture from tonight's debate. First of all, McCain's suit looks like it was bought off the rack at his local J C Penny's. The jacket sleeves are way too long in proportion to his shirt sleeves, it doesn't fit him that well, like an off-the-rack sack suit, and it isn't even pressed, for crying out loud! Look at those wrinkles! Obama's suit is much nicer, it fits him very well, maybe a little tight, and has a good contemporary look without being too trendy. But am I the only one who is sick of seeing people's ties peeking out from underneath the top button on 2-button jackets?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Obama's tie would be peeking out if he didn't have his hands raised and his jacket buttoned. How would avoid the tie peeking out in such a situation?

dopamine

Reaction score
Even the material on McCain's suit looks cheap - like it's made out of felt or cardboard.

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
Here's a picture of McCain's family at the RNC. Looks like his kids learned how to dress from their old man. Note the exposed tie, which can only slightly be attributed to having a raised arm.

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
Here's another one. McCain looks uncomfortable in his Cosa Nostra pinstripe suit. I always thought that pattern only looks good on double-breasted suits. Lieberman's suit fits okay, but the sleeves are too long. Note Sec. Gates's exposed tie.

stamp0102

Reaction score
Although McCain's suit fit like crap, watching in HD I was able to catch a hint of pick-stitching along the lapel.

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=76696

I don't want this thread to devolve into some sort of sick Sara-Palin-in-a-bikini thing, like that other thread did. Let's focus on the most important campaign issue: What will our next president be wearing?

Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
I've seen Obama wearing the tie in that first pic many times

Yeah, that seems to be his favorite. My favorite presidential tie was the bright green one Bill Clinton wore every St Patrick's Day.

BipgoBumpo

Reaction score
Here's another good picture from the debate. Look at the collars on McCain's jacket and shirt. The jacket should never ride up that high against the back of the shirt collar, it makes his outfit look cheap, and makes him look like he has no understanding of style. Which he probably doesn't. Or it could be an appeal to undecided voters who also have no understanding of style. Obama was the winner last night, both on the political issues and the style issues. There's another picture, from the first debate back in September. McCain seems to have the same problems as before, but in a different suit. Obama's suit isn't as nice as the one he wore last night, but still looks a hell of a lot better than his opponent's. Also, sorry to bring this up again, but there is really no reason why we can see the bottom of Obama's tie in either of these pictures.

metroman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BipgoBumpo
Am I the only one who is disappointed in the suit choices made by the presidential candidates? Here's a picture from tonight's debate. First of all, McCain's suit looks like it was bought off the rack at his local J C Penny's. The jacket sleeves are way too long in proportion to his shirt sleeves, it doesn't fit him that well, like an off-the-rack sack suit, and it isn't even pressed, for crying out loud! Look at those wrinkles! Obama's suit is much nicer, it fits him very well, maybe a little tight, and has a good contemporary look without being too trendy. But am I the only one who is sick of seeing people's ties peeking out from underneath the top button on 2-button jackets?

These suits are so Business like and I would have assumed that they would be wearing

There is a store nearby the white house where many of the presidents would get their suits custom made but the man is so old now and not sure if he has a new employee or son to take over his business. I think the President elect would be a bit more formal.

metroman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stamp0102
Although McCain's suit fit like crap, watching in HD I was able to catch a hint of pick-stitching along the lapel.

I have seen that as of late where men wear jackets that show stichings as if the tailor forgot to remove them. Showing stichings is really low class and bad craftsmanship.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads