• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Post your Modern Tailor measurements and fit pics here

Steeze

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
246
Reaction score
7
I think it would be good to have a running list of modern tailor measurements and fit pics. Many of us have similar builds and are looking for copies of the same types of shirts like BB extra slim fit, RL BL etc. It would be useful to have a thread that contained measurements for various popular shirts for online MTM purposes. I'm trying to clone a RL Custom Fit size 15 oxford with slightly slimmed down armholes and sleeves.

Shirt being copied: RL Custom Fit (SZ 15) (Slightly Slimmed down armholes and Half hip)

Collar: 17
Half Chest: 22\t
Half Waist: 20.25\t
Half Hip: 22.5\t
Left Sleeve Length: 25\t
Right Sleeve Length: 25
Half Bicep: 7.25
Left Cuffs: 9.5
Right Cuffs: 9.5\t
Yoke: 18.75\t
Shoulder: 7.75\t
Shirt Length: 30\t
Armhole: 9.25
 

Raoul Duke

Senior Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
975
Reaction score
2
Doesn't copying OTR shirts defeat most of the purpose of doing MTM in the first place?
 

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
27
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
Doesn't copying OTR shirts defeat most of the purpose of doing MTM in the first place?

Do you have some place where you can buy Polo Custom Fit shirts in 500 fabrics for $35 apiece?
 

aridhol

Active Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
I usually fit decently into OTR mediums but with a larger neck (16 1/2). Bit of a beer belly


Modern Tailor measurements in CM.

Collar:42.5
Half Chest:54\t
Half Waist:50\t
Half Hip:54.5\t
Left Sleeve Length:66.0\t
Right Sleeve Length:67.5\t
Half Bicep:19.5\t
Left Cuffs:23\t
Right Cuffs:23
Yoke:45\t
Shoulder:15.5\t
Shirt Length:75.5\t
Armhole:27.0
Short Sleeve Length:24.0
 

Raoul Duke

Senior Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
975
Reaction score
2
You are failing to see the point. Why would you use the measurements of a standard OTR shirt? Surely there could be improvements made to better suit there person ordering. Unless the RL custom shirts were designed for you in the first place, and there are several people on the forum that are carbon copies of each other, this thread is pretty useless.
 

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,438
Reaction score
26
For those without MTM shirts, starting with an OTR shirt and making adjustments is the most logical first step.

I don't quite see the purpose of a thread to compare measurements, however. Am I supposed to save the thread and go 'great, if I ever wake up as steeze I will know what size shirts to order'? I guess you should include your color and style preferences as well, just in case.
 

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
27
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
You are failing to see the point. Why would you use the measurements of a standard OTR shirt? Surely there could be improvements made to better suit there person ordering. Unless the RL custom shirts were designed for you in the first place, and there are several people on the forum that are carbon copies of each other, this thread is pretty useless.

I see what you're saying, and I agree. Thinking about it, you're right -- this is a useless thread.

When I did my measurements for Modern Tailor, I took a shirt I liked (Black Fleece BB3), measured it, then tried it on and "altered" it in my head for a better fit.

I don't see why people would want to look at lists of measurements for shirts they don't have.
 

Steeze

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Messages
246
Reaction score
7
I looked at it more as a way to compare the measurements of popular OTR shirts as a starting point. We know when something fits us well but we aren't sure why in detail. Most people can't be bothered to do all of these different measurements or might try on an expensive shirt at the store without buying (I wouldn't drop $250 on a RLBL shirt) so it would be useful to have the measurements in one place.

Sure you can make minor changes to suit yourself, but I think it is useful to know how the measurements of a RLBL compare to a BB Black fleece for example. Once you have that info you can order replicas for $35 slightly altered to suit your taste. I look at these measurements as a starting point for people who have a general idea of what cuts fits them OTR but want to tweak them slightly.
 

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,438
Reaction score
26
Originally Posted by Steeze
Sure you can make minor changes to suit yourself, but I think it is useful to know how the measurements of a RLBL compare to a BB Black fleece for example. Once you have that info you can order replicas for $35 slightly altered to suit your taste. I look at these measurements as a starting point for people who have a general idea of what cuts fits them OTR but want to tweak them slightly.


Right, but who wants a replica of a shirt they do not own and thus have no knowledge of how to tweak? The starting point should be a shirt you own and have physically worn repeatedly. Stand in the mirror and decide how you could improve upon the fit and use pins if needed to mark your changes.
 

acecow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
4,135
Reaction score
682
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I see what you're saying, and I agree. Thinking about it, you're right -- this is a useless thread.

When I did my measurements for Modern Tailor, I took a shirt I liked (Black Fleece BB3), measured it, then tried it on and "altered" it in my head for a better fit.

I don't see why people would want to look at lists of measurements for shirts they don't have.


That's what I did and my test shirt came out wearable. By the third shirt I had the measurements I wanted.
 

dpopat

Active Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Where are the fit pics? How is the quality of shirts from this place? For $35/shirt that is a great deal, even if they jack up shipping to Canada.
 

blahman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2010
Messages
4,559
Reaction score
372
Originally Posted by acecow
One of my WAYWRN posts. The shirt is from MT:



Does it pull a bit or little tight around your gut when you sit down? Not a criticism or anything just interested in knowing how it fits sitting down since most shirt fit pics around are all standing up.
 

acecow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
4,135
Reaction score
682
Originally Posted by blahman
Does it pull a bit or little tight around your gut when you sit down? Not a criticism or anything just interested in knowing how it fits sitting down since most shirt fit pics around are all standing up.
My shirts all fit pretty tight everywhere, but not overly so. They don't pull at the gut; however, being on the edge of tightness they do impose a restriction on my lifestyle. I have to eat less and work out more in order for them to fit right. If I'd let myself go then I'd have to throw out my entire shirt collection. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but it sure adds extra motivation to stay in shape.
 

unjung

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
6,569
Reaction score
14
Ah, excellent, another MT thread - exactly what I was looking for!
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
427,154
Messages
9,193,172
Members
193,079
Latest member
Mooser724

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top