• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares in BigLaw?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
I am an associate at a well respected firm, although not BigLaw. I can truthfully say that unless you are in a city where pocket squares among attorneys are a norm, wearing one will result in unwanted attention (as in my case) from your co-workers. The same, however, goes for the rest of your wardrobe. My attitude had always been "who cares" although, in hindsight, I wish I would have done a few things differently.

Is wearing a pocket square something you would have done differently, i.e., you would have not worn one?

It surprises me that anyone thinks this would make a difference to someone's legal career.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one has ever said a negative thing about it at my biglaw firm, and I sport one every day. Frankly, if you've gotten to the point that you are considering a pocket square, the fit of your suits and the fact that you even wear suits will make you stand out already. Do you really whether one wears a pocket square has any affect on their partnership chances?

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Is wearing a pocket square something you would have done differently, i.e., you would have not worn one?

It surprises me that anyone thinks this would make a difference to someone's legal career.

Looking back, I would have probably changed my overall approach to work clothes. This is my second job out of law school, which increased my salary almost twofold. I began to buy very expensive clothes because I could finally afford them. The partners at my firm quickly noticed and began asking me what I was wearing. Because I work for a conservative Florida firm, brands like Ferragamo, Zegna, Borrelli, and Brioni, just to name a few, meant nothing to them. Hence, they'd look up these brands and when they saw full retail prices, they could not believe that a young associate was spending so much money on clothes (I won't get into the fact that my work product was also quite good for a "baby" lawyer). Perhaps, I do not work for the most collegiate law firm out there, but I digress. Pocket squares made my wardrobe even more flashy and contributed to my status as a "controversial figure" - this is the phrase one of the partners used recently when he told me that if another opportunity came along, I should consider it.

Manton, in one of his chapters, wrote something to the effect of "one should never dress better than his supervisor." This is precisely what happened to me at my current place of employment. I am not saying the same thing will happen to the OP, but this is what happened to me.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Sorry to hear your situation. Your partners seem like A-holes.

Why? I don't get why people often cite Duke of Windsor, Astair or Grant as examples of how to dress. Sure they are well put-together and dress very elegantly but most of us are neither royalties nor Hollywood stars.

Unless you are in the decision making positions, dress appropriately.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
A silk poof is different than a peek
peepwall[1].gif
of linen.

Start Jack McCoy style and elevate as you feel comfortable.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
I do corporate defense work mostly in federal courts throughout the U.S.

I wear a pocket square when I'm appearing in front of a judge or on motions. But, I don't wear one when trying a case in front of a jury. I tend to wear understated cufflinks or barrell cuffs in jury trials as well.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
Looking back, I would have probably changed my overall approach to work clothes. This is my second job out of law school, which increased my salary almost twofold. I began to buy very expensive clothes because I could finally afford them. The partners at my firm quickly noticed and began asking me what I was wearing. Because I work for a conservative Florida firm, brands like Ferragamo, Zegna, Borrelli, and Brioni, just to name a few, meant nothing to them. Hence, they'd look up these brands and when they saw full retail prices, they could not believe that a young associate was spending so much money on clothes (I won't get into the fact that my work product was also quite good for a "baby" lawyer). Perhaps, I do not work for the most collegiate law firm out there, but I digress. Pocket squares made my wardrobe even more flashy and contributed to my status as a "controversial figure" - this is the phrase one of the partners used recently when he told me that if another opportunity came along, I should consider it.

Manton, in one of his chapters, wrote something to the effect of "one should never dress better than his supervisor." This is precisely what happened to me at my current place of employment. I am not saying the same thing will happen to the OP, but this is what happened to me.

I am sorry to hear that. Good luck to you.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Sorry to hear your situation. Your partners seem like A-holes.

+1

the same holds true in corporate america - don't let them get to you just get something better and make sure you JAM THEM when you get the chance later.

sehandgo

Reaction score
I would also suggest going conservative at first. For me, you can't get a classier look than a plain white pocket square folded straight and showing about 1/4 inch. I agree that a dramatic silk print billowing out of the pocket is a little flamboyant,
Good luck.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Individualistic qualities are what make someone different.

I dont like the everyone should be the same idea, no thanks, not me ever. I deal with business people quite often these days and i believe they appreciate my sense of style.

I keep it subtle, however i always wear pocket squares, french cuffs, and jewelry all those no-no things i keep hearing will destroy my career on this forum.

Except everyday i make more contacts, i make more friends, i receive more business.

I STAND OUT, and thats what gets me noticed, it puts me on the map in other people's minds, i remain a person they dont forget.

My uncle is a Brooklyn, NY lawyer, i saw him a few months ago, he was wearing a navy suit sporting a white linen pocket square just peaking out of his jacket pocket.

I seriously doubt he thought much of it, and it certainly hasnt effected his career as far as i know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics